Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved on Monday (6/6) at UCLA

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but have been estalking in the months up to my surgery which was Monday (6/6/11), I'm really impressed with the amount of information on here and everyone's experiences. I was sent home yesterday and they said I was doing remarkable well recovery wise. I'm 28 and started at 316 pounds. So I'm on day 4 (last day) of clear liquid diets (broth, Jello, water) and tomorrow I start full liquids until day 16 when I moved to pureed foods.

I feel good but have just two concerns. The first is pills. I have been crushing them up and taking them and the taste makes me so sick to my stomach that I end up swallowing a bunch of air to stop myself from throwing up, then I deal with gas pains for a half hour to get rid of that air. It's so bad that I've refused my wellbutrin and am just preparing myself for the withdrawal effects, the antacid I will force down because I can feel it helping and don't want to risk damaging the new pouch. My doctor said even though he doesn't like the idea of cold turkey he is thinking this surgery will get my off the wellbutrin eventually anyway. I have seen people that started taking pills the day after, 3 weeks out etc, on here. UCLA is strict and they say never unless under 9mm in size, but I know that isn't true for everyone as I've talked to many post-ops with the same surgeon that take all their pills now.

My second concern. I'm not too worried because the sleeve is so new, but did anyone else has mild discomfort when sipping the first few days? I wouldn't call it pain, but definitely tightness or discomfort when I drink my Water. I know the lemon crystal light in the hospital was the worst and I assumed it was the tartness, but with jello and water there is so definite tightness when I swallow, it does get better with baby sips, but I can still feel it. Did this happen to others and when did it go away? I am excited to see where my sleeve takes me and I dream of July when I can return to small portions of real food again, but am not willing to risk anything early...I've come this far!

Thanks fellow sleevers!

That's tough with the pills. I had a dissolvable acid reducer when I came home from surgery, but I hear it is only available in Mexico. I also had chewable tylenol, just in case I needed it. I didn't start Vitamins until the 2nd week and, when I did, I was taking a chewable Vitamin.

My throat was really scratchy and felt weird for at least a week or 2. I think it was the tube in the throat and some night-time acid that was keeping it raw.

Keep pursuing alternatives on the pills with your doctor. Also, you live in LA, it might be worthwile for you to drive down to San Diego and take a quick walk over the border to pick up some Nexium MUPS which dissolves in Water. I'll admit, after the 2nd week I wanted to gag on the dissolved tablets, but it worked and it was easy on my new stomach. I started "real" pills after 4 weeks, per my surgeons instruction.

Hey,

I am new here too. I got sleeved on Tues 6.7.11. I find it hard to swallow also. Not sore, just like it will not go down. I find it a little easier to swallow if I am standing up. I have read and watched several youtube videos about how rough these first few days really can be. I will have to agree. We have to remember, we are a couple of days into our journey and it was major surgery.

Hello guys!

I too was sleeved 6/6 at 7am! Going throught the same thing. I'm also experiencing this sense of "disgust" with anything I try to swallow - except for popsicles, which tend to sooth my sour stomach. I was also told by MD this is completely normal, stomach is becoming accustomed to size and that it will subside. I was also precribed an anti nausea med. Initially it didn't look like I would need it but now I need to take it every 6 hours. Of course the acid reducer and, I was told, little, tiny sips. Good luck with this phase guys!!!!

Hey recent sleevers,

I don't know about you, but it's true what they say about time heals all. The tightness I get when sipping is almost gone. I can take my broth, popsicles, Water, Jello, gatorade and crystal light no problem now. Today is my first day of full liquids so I've already got my food lined up: malt o meal (hot cereal), Protein shakes, cream of chicken Soup and fat free pudding and applesauce....we'll see how it all goes!

Hello, fellow June sleevers,

I was sleeved 6/6. Today was my first full liquid day and I must say, the full liquids go down with less fuss than the clears. I don't know why, but that is how it is for me. I'm being very careful and "slow as it goes".

Valentina

Hey recent sleevers,

I don't know about you, but it's true what they say about time heals all. The tightness I get when sipping is almost gone. I can take my broth, popsicles, Water, Jello, gatorade and crystal light no problem now. Today is my first day of full liquids so I've already got my food lined up: malt o meal (hot cereal), Protein shakes, cream of chicken Soup and fat free pudding and applesauce....we'll see how it all goes!

Haha, I know what you mean! I am on my first day of full liquids too. I'm in love with watery pudding and malto-meal! My stomach reminds me when a bite is too big...lol

Hello and congrats on your sleeve!

I swallowed pills in the hospital the night of my surgery. My dr. said if it was smaller than an M&M, I could swallow it. They never gave me issues.

I am a little over a month out and if I take too big of gulp of Water I get tightness in my chest from it. You have to sip at first, you can not drink like a normal person. SIP SIP SIP. Like 1 oz every 15 minutes was my rule. I had a measuring cup and that is what I did for the first week. Then, I moved to 2 oz every 15 minutes for a few days and then I just would take a drink (small) whenever. I still can not CHUG, but I take normal drinks. But if it is too big, I feel the tightness.

You are just drinking too fast or too much at one time. Slow down and you will be fine!

Kelly ;)

I was going to tell you all it tends to get magically better around day 5 but you all seem to have discovered it!

RE: The wellbutrin- I really urge you NOT to stop taking this right now- as you lose weight there are lots of hormones released that cause moodiness, mood swings, and depression. In our seminar before the surgery we were told that many people need an anti-depressant during their weight loss period so I think you might be inviting problems! I had that same thought about my lexapro and my GP counseled against it for now.

I use my pill cutter to cut them in half as I had the same advice re size of an m&m and they are sightly bigger. My prilosec is a time release capsules and capsules have not trouble going down at all. You really want to avoid the acid!

Good luck to all of yo from 6/6!

If you want to see my journey, my vlog link is in my sig and if you go back to Surgery day I do quite a few vids in the first few weeks in which I mention what I am experiencing so you can see you are totally normal!

It seems like most of you on this thread are new sleevers, congrats. I will have a band to sleeve revision on June 23rd and was wondering if any of you have recommendations or can tell mw what things fall under the "clear" liquids diet?

Thanks!

sugar free Jello, crystal light, sugar free popsicles, diluted fruit juices (1/4-1/2 juices, 1/2-3/4 water) and broth. If sodium isn't a huge issue with your bloodwork there is a broth that comes in a jar called Better than Brouillion. You can have that twice a day and still get less than 50% of your sodium, but it is good!

Hi- I just got sleeved on 6/8- Although my dr said he would staple and suture-He stapled and used a seal- so I was his guinea pig. Not happy about that. I was advised I will have to be on liquids longer due to this. Also my stomach doe not look like a banana- 85% was removed and it looks more like a balloon with a string. Not happy about that either. Having a hard time getting Protein in but today is my first day home so Im praying things will get easier. I weighed 246 lbs going in and I now weigh 251?? I guess there is some logical explanation.

sigh- Im in pain-:( Belly bind sounds good thanks for the tip.

Sharyn

Well, we are all in the same boat. I was sleeved on 6/6/2011. I got out of the hospital on Wednesday. Everything has gone great until today. I had a shaky spell around noon. I had had several Clear Liquids but just got shaky and then the tears started to roll.........:( . I hate to cry. Makes me feel out of control. Not long after that my Bariatric Coordinator called and told me to go ahead and start 1/2 of a Protein shake. I waited a little bit but just finished chicken Soup unjury Protein and it has done good. She thinks it might have been my blood sugar got too low. Not a diabetic.

Other than just sipping and walking, I think I have done pretty good. No pain. Lots of rumbling in my stomach but I was told that was normal. I start full liquids tomorrow. I certainly hope it goes better than what this Clear Liquids have gone. I have had trouble with Gatorade, Crystal Lite Lemonade, causing my stomach to just not feel right. So I stopped those. Apple juice and chicken broth have been my best to get me the Fluid intake that I need.

Good luck to everyone. Next week, I hope we are saying that this week was not that bad. I know we will never have to go this way again. Onward and upward.

Talk to you Jewels of June soon.

Jeannean

I just got my Sleeve done on June 8th. I have the same problem. I can feel when the liquids hit my stomach. It's kind of a tight spasm last like a second or two. I'm having a hard time getting alot of liquids down. I'm working it slowly and hoping this will pass after my stomach relaxes a bit. Good luck and keep me posted.

Hey new sleevers! I'm starting to get the feeling that this is like child birth. Everyone thinks it's great, and tells you it's great .... when it's all over! But they forgot what labor was like. We are all right in the middle of labor. We're not thinking it's so great just yet! :-) Let's push those liquids! :-) Goooo team!!! :-)