Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, for the past two days I have been getting really bad reflux. I had been told that my refulx issues could get worse after surgery and that was a big complaint among sleevers.

I had not had any problems until I started eating food. When I was on liquids I was fine. Started soft foods on Monday and BAM! I was so sick yesterday, I thought I was gonna lose it in my car on the drive home last night! It was that bad. I take 40mg of Nexium twice a day too.

I am starting to feel like that again right now. It feels like I have pepper stuck on the back of my tounge, that is how it starts. I never felt like that before surgery. Then the burning in my throat and almost like I am having chest pains! OMG!

I go on the 16th to see my Dr. for my first follow-up. I sure hope he can give me something else to take. This is awful! I could understand if I ate something bad, but all I have had today was some cheese, cottage cheese and a couple slices of lunchmeat.

UGGG! :(

Kelly

Have you tried going back to liquids? I might try that to see if the symptoms subside. If they do, it just might be that your new tummy isn't quite ready for solids yet.

I've had a couple bouts of the same thing Kelly and it SUCKS! I'm on nexium twice a day as well but I'm getting some pepcid chewables for a bit of breakthrough acid suppressor because I cant take that pain when it happens. Just remember, it takes time for our acid pumps to realize we don't have a full size tummy anymore so they have to re-learn their job...produce LESS acid to breakdown foods. Even knowing this, it still sucks when it happens because like yours, there's no rhyme or reason to mine...I'm still on liquids!

At any rate, I was told also not to eat anything before bed and take my nexium twice daily, am. and pm.

I went through four different PPIs before I found one that works fairly well, Dexilant by prescription. I take one in the morning, and Prevacid OTC 30 mg in the evenings. I still get acid attacks on occasion, which for me present as huge volumes of gas, belching non-stop for hours, and very intense diaphragm pain. I've had about three of these "attacks" over about 6 weeks, and I'm learning what foods to avoid (so far, coffee, spinach and Diet Snapple), and to recognize the earlly symptoms so that I can take a Pepcid, which helps avoid them.

I had heartburn and occasional reflux before surgery, and I knew that the gastric acid situation could get worse, better, or stay the same afterwards, and went ahead anyway. Would I do it all over again, knowing what I know now? Absolutely. I'm down 89 lbs. and feel great. You just have to find the right combination of medications to treat it, and I'm also hoping eventually my system will start producing less.

WOW!! Everyone is taking Nexium 40 mg twice a day..I'm only on it once a day. WEIRD!!! I do have alot of gas too when I eat, and sometimes after dinner if its really bad I'll grad a tums..but I wonder if i'm not on enough Nexium..Good question for the doctor when I go next Thursday.

Oh honey I am so sorry! You have had such ups and downs trying to incorporate food!

One thing I do (and I haven't really had an acid problem yet so really can't help much) is take my prilosec in bed the moment I wake up and let it work for a while before I have my morning Protein drink.

Meggie hug to you!

Thanks Meggie!! Hugs to you too!

I know, it has been rough, but it does get better all of the time. It just seems like when one thing gets better somthing else goes wrong! Like now, I am able to eat more, but have this acid crap! WTH?? It is fine right now, but we will see what this afternoon brings, that is when it has been flaring up!

I tried chicken salad today for lunch. Not Costco's, just Bumble Bee. They make the cutest little cans 3.5oz with crackers. I didn't eat the crackers, but the chicken salad was good. It didn't get stuck this time!! So, I guess I will get some from costco this weekend! I am so excited!! I also had 1/2 of a banana and a cheese stick. Not all at once, but that is what I have eaten so far today! I am getting better with my food intake as you can see!

It just goes on and on! When the acid is not going on, I have a lot of gas in there and I gurgle like a drain and have a lot of pressure in my chest.

All in all tho, I would not take it back! :P I really love my sleeve even though it is giving me fits sometimes!

Hugs,

Kelly

Oh honey I am so sorry! You have had such ups and downs trying to incorporate food!

One thing I do (and I haven't really had an acid problem yet so really can't help much) is take my prilosec in bed the moment I wake up and let it work for a while before I have my morning Protein drink.

Meggie hug to you!

Just remember not to eat the celery- it is too fibrous for our new thumbies. If you wonder why do a search on here for bezoar- a fibrous mass that can gather i your stomach or intestines! Coconut, celery...etc. No-nos for sure! Unless cooked.... A sleever had the misfortune and we can all learn from it.

I had four wonderful meals of that chicken salad- yumm!!! I am going to buy some cans of chicken and try making my own using some celery seed in place of the celery.

By the way- I started making the ricotta bake with 1/4 cup parmesan instead of 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup mozzarella instead of 1/2 cup- much less salty! I thought you could add a layer of browned ground turkey!

Any time you want me to do the nutritional breakdown of a recipe like that let me know- I am using psark people and it is easy- I know we are maniacal about logging and it takes the mystery out of it.

Hope this acid thing goes away- I just hate you are not having a great time of it. Meanwhile- where is our Michelle?????

ps I am a bit far from Richmond but please please come to the meet and greet in Hayward! I will get to hug you in person!

I am not sure that I know where Hayward is. I got lost trying to go to the mall for our last meeting.

I am not originally from here and don't ventrue out of my comfort zone too much. I would love to go if it is in a place that is easy to find!!

Did we ever decide on a place? If we haven't, please try and make it easy to find for me!:D

Kelly

Just remember not to eat the celery- it is too fibrous for our new thumbies. If you wonder why do a search on here for bezoar- a fibrous mass that can gather i your stomach or intestines! Coconut, celery...etc. No-nos for sure! Unless cooked.... A sleever had the misfortune and we can all learn from it.

I had four wonderful meals of that chicken salad- yumm!!! I am going to buy some cans of chicken and try making my own using some celery seed in place of the celery.

By the way- I started making the ricotta bake with 1/4 cup parmesan instead of 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup mozzarella instead of 1/2 cup- much less salty! I thought you could add a layer of browned ground turkey!

Any time you want me to do the nutritional breakdown of a recipe like that let me know- I am using psark people and it is easy- I know we are maniacal about logging and it takes the mystery out of it.

Hope this acid thing goes away- I just hate you are not having a great time of it. Meanwhile- where is our Michelle?????

ps I am a bit far from Richmond but please please come to the meet and greet in Hayward! I will get to hug you in person!

I am not sure that I know where Hayward is. I got lost trying to go to the mall for our last meeting.

I am not originally from here and don't ventrue out of my comfort zone too much. I would love to go if it is in a place that is easy to find!!

Did we ever decide on a place? If we haven't, please try and make it easy to find for me!:D

Kelly

I know Irene offered to drive if anyone wanted to share - is she near you? Maybe someone else is who is better able to navigate. Honestly for me the whole East Bay could be in timbuktoo- it is so foreign to me!

Come on girl- we will map it all out for you! Meggie will be waiting at the other end with open arms!

I will go if I know where I am going. Like have a physical address and can mapquest it and such.

I just need to know that and I will be good to go. I can put in my location and that location and it will give me turn by turn. That is how I go anywhere I don't know! LOL

I guess you all will update on the Nor Cal page when it is all planned?

Hugs,

Kelly :D

It is soooo yummy! They take the rotissary chicken they sell and chunk it up. They put pepper in it and mayo, celery, onion and I don't know what else, but it is FANTASTIC!! If you like chicken salad, you should get some.

BUT, don't eat the celery in it cuz us sleever's are suppose to have raw celery.

It is in the area with their made stuff, like the rolls and trays.

Get some, you will not be disappointed!! :D

Kelly

Hmmmm..... what is this costco chicken salad I keep hearing about? I may have to make a costco trip soon...

It is soooo yummy! They take the rotissary chicken they sell and chunk it up. They put pepper in it and mayo, celery, onion and I don't know what else, but it is FANTASTIC!! If you like chicken salad, you should get some.

BUT, don't eat the celery in it cuz us sleever's are suppose to have raw celery.

It is in the area with their made stuff, like the rolls and trays.

Get some, you will not be disappointed!! :D

Kelly

Awesome! Thanks for that info. I will definitely be checking it out soon. I don't much care for celery anyway, so picking around it won't be a problem :P