Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control and Weight Loss

This is just my personal experience...I have been on a couple of different birth controls...My experience is:

Had the ring---came out my very first time having sex (my friends kept coming out too) I decided NOT to take my chances with it coming out again...

Had the patch--liked it but really wanted something less maintenence...

Had the depo---only had one shot--bleed those 3 months--didn't get the next shot but still bleed for 9 months straight...It was horrible bleeding everyday for a whole year.

Decided to go with Mirena---FOR ME--It was heavensent! I absolutely love it. 5 years no worrying...Although I have heard stories of people having problems but I havent had any!

I am on the patch and i have found my period to be extremly unreliable! i went from a strict 28 day cycle with a 4 day period to now post surgery i am bleeding every week and spotting . I just started with the patch but im thinking that i need to get off it and just use condoms . Im not a fan of the hormonal but i already have a perscription for the iud .. hmm choices choices!

I personally use the Nuva Ring and love it. I'm still pre-surgery though so I'm hoping I still love it afterwards too. I keep it in for 3 weeks and then remove it for a week and discard. Periods are lighter and if he feels it during sex you can take it out for up to 2 hrs a day. Wash it off and then put it back in lol

Does anyone know if any sleevers have had Mirena put in after surgery, and if they have had a weight gain?

UHG i did depo while losing weight 2 years ago i lost 30 lbs then it caused me to have my period and spot EVERYSINGLE DAY no joke! I gained all my weight back and then some, along with horrible headaches uhg, worst decision of my life. Im debating on trying to get off birth contro pill l after surgery or not and go "all natural" I just would hate to be off my birthcontrol a month before surgery and after ( my doctor wants me to do so) and gain weight when I get back on...I dont know if I would be better off just using condoms

Does anyone know if any sleevers have had Mirena put in after surgery' date=' and if they have had a weight gain?[/quote']

I had my mirena put in 4 months post op. I didn't not gain any weight from it. In fact it has taken my head hunger away not sure why. I have been spitting for about a month now since having it put in but that's normal. I loooove mine.

Mirena doesn't distribute hormones throughout your body, only to the uterus. It shouldn't cause any weight changes. Certainly didn't for me. It's not the same sort of thing as depo or pills.< /p>

*sigh*, then I am solely responsible for the 25 lbs I've put on in the 12 months since insertion :(

I've used Nuvaring for a few years now and love it. I planned to keep using it after surgery. It does pop out occasionally during sex but I just wash it off and pop it back in. The package says it can be out for up to 3 hours with no interruption in protection.