Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've started my Pre-Op diet and I'm sooooooo hungry!!! I've been reading other pre-op diets but haven't ran across one like mine...OMG I don't wanna give up but I'm extra hungry and really don't know what to eat anymore...Ughhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

The pre-op diet is hard. They are all different depending on doctor preference. Mine was a little easier than some. I was allowed a shake for Breakfast and lunch along with a piece of fruit at lunch, a shake for a snack and a low carb dinner.

Just keep in mind it will all be worth it. It is a temporary thing. Is there any "free food" you are allowed on your pre-op (like sugar free Jello, etc) IF so, eat them. If not, I am sorry. Most doctors just want to get the sugar and carbs out of your system because this causes your liver to shrink, which gives them more room to manuver in your abdomen, so it is in your own best interest to follow as closely as possible.

Thanks to the both of you! I do have free foods and I've been eating them but right now I'm on a 10 day diet that consist of only meats & veggies...next 5 days will be two shakes & a low carb meal & then 14 days of a full liquid diet...I'm trying to stay strong but I live in Louisiana and nothing is really carb free or sugar free...but I'm trying!

YOU CAN DO THIS!! It's SOOO worth! Don't give up! There's a great reward in the end :)

You can do it!!! I know the pre-op is hard, probably the most difficult part. Try not to put yourself in tempting situations and distract yourself with other activities. Read all the success stories. Go on other sites like Obesityhelp and look at all the before and after pics there and here to stay motivated! We're here for you!!!

:hippie:

Thanks to all of you!!!! My strength is back and I'm not giving up!!! @Kelly I went to obesityhelp & saw the results and got my mind back on track..Thnx a million!!!!!

I know, right??? The before/after pics save me when feeling weak or down. Glad you're doing better!

:)

Diva...I know how you feel, I'm sure just like everyone else. I will have my surgery June 23. I started my preop diet 4 days ago and had a melt down the first day. My husband was getting ready to let me have it, I'm sure! Lol that was by far the worst day yet for me. I think my body getting used to mostly liquids and no sugary junk made it go nuts. Each.day so far has been a little easier. But I'm hungry all the time and find myself thinking of all the yummy things but as all the rest here have said, the reward will be well worth this temporary pain right now.

As for my diet, I'm doing 4 Protein shakes (like 5-6 oz. Each) and 3-4 oz. of fish or chicken or Boca Burger (patty only) and then spinach or something green for supper. I have to stay under 1000 calories a day. The 4 prot. shakes take up 800 calories. THIS IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I'VE EVER HAD TO DO!!! lol Did you just see my eyes cross?!?!? Lol I have to lose 15 lbs. atleast before surgery. I lost 5 before I started the preop diet and I've lost 6 more in the last 3 days. I'm hoping that I can drop 20-25 lbs before surgery. The doc said the more I lose, the faster the surgery and recovery will go.

Hang in there! We're all in this together. You can do it.

@Kelly yes indeed the pics are amazing!!! @PenPen thanks a lot for the motivation!! Stay Encouraged!! Good Luck & we all need to keep in touch!!

DivaDee84;

Yes, the pre op diet is torture of the most inhumane kind. But it is needed for a safer surgery. I am here to encourage you - I started on this forum when I had my first meltdown and knew of no one who had had VSG surgery personally except for someone I met in surgeons office. Please be encouraged, this is only temporary.

Crazy - but the hunger goes away, really. Seems like a miracle and you can do anything for a miracle, right? Hang in there, you can do this. Lert this be your mantra.

Thanks!! I think it's more head hunger than I'm experiencing than anything...I crave all the chocolates, cheeses, & cakes...I'm from Louisiana so majority of our foods are fried or smothered in rich gravies...it's sooooooo hard to find healthy foods...but I'm staying motivated and will hopefully get over this pre-op junk lol worst torture ever!!!!

Hey Diva---PenPen again...well, I totally agree with iegal. The hunger has pretty much gone away. I mean, yes, my tummy would love to eat real food but I'm not in anguish anymore. I cooked pigs-n-blanket this morning for my family and I was completely fine with just having my protien shake. I didn't feel sorry for myself anymore and actually felt really good about accomplishing something. I think the first 3-4 days are total torture but after that it becomes kind of a norm for you...well, and also for me I think just knowing how good it feels to lose weight makes it just a little easier. I had forgotten what that felt like. My husband was getting excited for me too and yesterday morning when I weighed, he watched and I wanted to cry because the scale showed I'd gained 2 lbs back from the 6 I'd just lost!!! What? Well, he reassured me that there was no way I was gaining weight with this diet and it was probably just salt intake causing Water to sit on me. He must have been right because this morning I had lost 10 lbs. since I started this diet. You will be fine! Just hang in there. You're not alone.