Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and miserable

Hi everyone,

My name is Eddie. I was sleeved on May 13th after about 6 months of research. I' was 5'7' and 250 pounds before I started and have lost 25 pounds.I was pretty active before, just lived on fast food and got fat. I didn't like the long term complications with the band and the full bypass was too scary.

In the three weeks since I've had this done, I've been miserable. I'm exhausted, nauseous & struggle just to get 20 ounces of liquid and maybe 20 grams of Protein a day. I've tried Protein Powder, Isopure, Protein Shots, you name it. Nothing taste decent enough to make me not want to boot it back up. The thought of food or drink makes me want to yack. I've already barfed today. I called the doc and his brilliant suggestion was to drink more. If I could drink more, I doubt I'd be in this situation. At this point, I'm not worried about losing weight. I just want to get healthy enough again to be productive. Anyone else go through this?? What did you do??

Sorry you're having a hard time. Are you on some kind of acid reducer? Acid can cause nausea, but so can dehydration. I hope you feel better soon!!

The first few weeks were rough for me also. I had to sip and sip and sip (no gulps). It does get better. Sending you hugs.

PS: Try sucking on frozen ice cubes. I froze Crystal Lite and Fruit drinks in the beginning to help.

If you are only getting 20 ounces of liquid and not keeping all of that down, you need to go in for an IV IMHO. I think that what your doctor was trying to say was that you are feeling so bad because you are dehydrated. But it seems to me the first best step to get you past that would be an IV. That would help you to feel better to start taking and keeping more liquid down. Could you give them a call and ask if they could rehydrate you and help you?

You sound dehydrated. I am 10 days post op and I needed to get 2 bags of Fluid today. I can keep everything down but I just haven't been able to drink what my body needs. I went to my PCP and she is the one that sent me to get fluids. I feel so much better! Can you try going to your PCP instead of your surgeon? I hope you can get some answers.

Hello,

Wow i feel your pain and frustration, I am feeling the same way. My husband and i were sleeved May 11th and yesterday was the first day i felt okay and he seems to be recovering way better than me. i drunk 1/2 of the grape flavored Isopure and I tried the ice tea flavored nectar Protein mix, it tastes ok it just smells a little funny, but between the two I was able to get 30 grams of Protein in. im still not able to get the 64oz of liquid in but I'm going to keep trying. i think when you get the protein and the majority of the water/liquid in it does help though.

also try sugar free popsicle or freeze crystal light into a popsicle that may help, and just keep sipping all day.

I hope you feel better. lets keep hope alive :-) I keep hearing it gets better.

I can't tell you this per a VA Dr. When you have any gastro intestinal surgery and swalloing issues. The thinner the liquid rhe harder to drink. Water being the absolute hardest. Counter-intuitive were her words. Advice? She say try drinks that are low acid and more like low cal Gatorade, Vitamin water, even apple juice

Hi Eddie,

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. I was sleeved on tuesday, May 24th 2011. Are you still taking the "pain" medication? I too was miserable, naseaus all the time, (although i never vomited) I sure felt like it. I took myself off the pain meds on thursday the 26th, and boy did I start to feel soooooo much better. I was having trouble getting in my fluids during those 2 days, I also had to be hydrated 2 times, on wed the 23rd and thur the 24th. Once I was off the meds, I was albe to drink more. I'm getting in most all my 80 to 100 grams of Protein daily, but I'm finding i'm so full from all that, I'm not drinking as much Water as i'm sure i'm supposed to, but i'm geeling great, don't feel like i'm dehydated..ie: no dry mouth, no chap lips, etc.

anyhow, I hope this passes quickly for you. best of luck and take care!

Hi everyone,

My name is Eddie. I was sleeved on May 13th after about 6 months of research. I' was 5'7' and 250 pounds before I started and have lost 25 pounds.I was pretty active before, just lived on fast food and got fat. I didn't like the long term complications with the band and the full bypass was too scary.

In the three weeks since I've had this done, I've been miserable. I'm exhausted, nauseous & struggle just to get 20 ounces of liquid and maybe 20 grams of Protein a day. I've tried protein powder, Isopure, Protein Shots, you name it. Nothing taste decent enough to make me not want to boot it back up. The thought of food or drink makes me want to yack. I've already barfed today. I called the doc and his brilliant suggestion was to drink more. If I could drink more, I doubt I'd be in this situation. At this point, I'm not worried about losing weight. I just want to get healthy enough again to be productive. Anyone else go through this?? What did you do??

Hi Eddie,

I really sympathize!

I agree you may need fluids by IV at this point- it is ultra easy to get dehydrated after surgery.

Once that is addressed:

Keep trying to find a Protein powder that works! After my surgery May 9th most of the powders I formerly liked were disgusting to me. I found one chocolate on ethat has 15 grams per scoop and I mix three scoops with 8 ounces of Decaf, 4 ounces of milk, ice, and a splash of vanilla or Starbucks sugar free caramel Syrup. Keep looking! Got to GNC- they sometimes have samples- lots of people have reported liking the Wheybolic Extreme 60 and it can give you 40 grams in two scoops. You need a foundation of Protein to keep your body from consuming muscle.

I set my phone alarm to go off every 12-15 minutes. If I don't have that reminder I fall way behind in my fluids. I also keep several different kinds of Fluid at hand- decaf tea, propel, Water... I agree with the fact Water can be the hardest to get down so having other sugar free stuff around is important.

Eddie it will get easier. You do need to spend a lot of time and energy getting your Fluid and protein habits in place right now, plus slowly introducing food. Just know in a couple of months you will actually come to a day (and I need to believe it too!) when you wont even think about your sleeve every day.

Good luck to you!

Hi eddie I was sleeves on the same day as you and in the first few day the thing I found easiest to get in was sugar free jelly! Sound crazy when Water is a problem but believe me it went down an stayed down. Give it a try.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Keep us posted!

X x x

Okay, prepare for hard-line advice...

You do not "maybe" need IV fluids, YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED IV FLUIDS. RIGHT NOW.

20oz a day is not enough to live on. It is not enough to protect you from DEADLY consequences of dehydration.

Without enough Water, your major organs eventually fail, your blood pressure will drop, and you will die. Of course you're tired. If you get help now, there's every chance that you will be FINE.

But you CANNOT WAIT.

Call your doctor and tell him how much you are able to drink, AGAIN, and tell him that now he is definitely aware, on record, of how little Fluid you can take in, and if he does not treat you with IV fluids immediately, you're quite sure it will be considered malpractice. If he does not take care of you IMMEDIATELY -- "come in right now" -- then you must go to the ER.

You should have at least 2L of isotonic fluids/day until you feel better. Maybe you need more, because you're in such bad shape. I'm not a doctor, but I know a lot about dehydration. When I was in the hospital post-op, I was given 4 L/day of fluids and then told to drink 2 L/day.

Then, after you have enough liquid in you to start feeling better, find another doctor. (And you really ought to file a complaint with the medical board, too, because he is endangering your life with his stupidity.)

I agree with Sarsar and Ahoy, get to the E.R. and get some fluids in! Next step is what my Dr. told me when I couldn't keep anything down or in (I had diarrhea as well as vomiting...lucky me :rolleyes: )

Get some Gatorade G2 and take a teaspoon or two every 15 minutes until it starts to stay down. Your body NEEDS the potassium and sodium and electrolytes right now...RIGHT NOW being the key words. Keep drinking! I've noticed that yes, I can only take tiny sips but I can do it in fairly fast succession so I can down a lot of gatorade now and I'm only about 9 days post-op. Hydration is the MOST important thing for your body right now and Ahoy is right, you need medical attention to get it back on the right track so that you can start over and do it well.

Signs of Dehydration according to Webmd:

Dehydration occurs when your body loses too much Fluid. This can happen when you stop drinking Water or lose large amounts of Fluid through diarrhea, vomiting, sweating, or exercise. Not drinking enough fluids can cause muscle cramps. You may feel faint. Usually your body can reabsorb fluid from your blood and other body tissues. But by the time you become severely dehydrated, you no longer have enough fluid in your body to get blood to your organs, and you may go into shock, which is a life-threatening condition.

I want to also add that many people get a horrible headache when becoming dehydrated...listen to your body!

Hope by the time you read this you're already feeling better, but if not, please please get medical attention...dehydration is serious.

Renee`

Hi everyone,

In the three weeks since I've had this done, I've been miserable. I'm exhausted, nauseous & struggle just to get 20 ounces of liquid and maybe 20 grams of Protein a day. I've tried Protein powder, Isopure, Protein Shots, you name it. Nothing taste decent enough to make me not want to boot it back up. The thought of food or drink makes me want to yack. I've already barfed today. I called the doc and his brilliant suggestion was to drink more. If I could drink more, I doubt I'd be in this situation. At this point, I'm not worried about losing weight. I just want to get healthy enough again to be productive. Anyone else go through this?? What did you do??

I believe most of us went through this. . imagine this. . . for years you are accustomed to eating and drinking anyway you want, pigging out at buffets or whatever. . . then we decide to get surgery to help us loose this weight and even though we research our butts off, then we have the surgery going from eating likes piggies to not being able to even drink a good swallow of Water. . . and the restriction is like something we've never experienced before in our lives. . . it's like we have to relearn everything called eating and drinking. . . don't worry Eddie, it does get better, your only out 3 weeks and your tummy is still really swollen, just sip away the best you can and eat popsicles, sf jellos, sips of gatoraid, crystal lite, etc. . . don't stress about it. . . your not going to die of starvation that's for sure. . . your going to be ok. . . I'm out almost 2 years now and can handle almost everything again. . . I promise it gets better, just don't baby yourself over it ok? But if your skin is really dry and your lips are chapped and you feel like you have constant cotton mouth, by all means head over to the ER and see what they can do for you! Good luck

:( So sorry you feeling so horrible! I haven't had my surgery yet...coming very soon...but I thought I'd throw something out there. I read a thread on this forum...I think it was on here....where the lady was having a lot of trouble getting anything down and her daughter went out and bought her an inexpensive ice cream cone machine. She used it just for the shaved ice. It worked for her. Just my 2 cents. I may be way off but it's just an idea.