Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Passed Out During My Fill

That's right. Out cold. The room was stuffy, but I have never fainted before and never had an issue with needles. According to my friend, this is what happened:

I was on the platform of the xray table standing up, and they put the anestesia in, and then the doctor put the fill needle in, my face turned pale white and I just slumped over and down. Luckily his nurse saw it coming and rushed over me to help me down. During this time my back got covered in sweat, and I was out for about 2 minutes, with the fill needle in me (the doctor took it out when I was passed out). I came to, and said "I think I'm going to pass out". I didn't realize that I already had been out! I got a .8 cc fill after that, but the doctor was gravely concerned, and did not want me having an episode like that. My friend thinks its because it was hot and I had not had much Protein that day. Has anyone had anything happen like this? Thanks soooooooooooo much!:D

I've passed out several times in my life, and yes if the room is stuffy and the air is not moving, poof, down I go. Also anxiety will do it. During my first fill I almost passed out when the doc decided to move the needle inside me creating a sickening feeling that made me wanna drop, I got sweaty and had to sit down.

Was your fill 1st thing in the morning? if not you might want to do it then.

Glad your okay.

Wow. Thanks for sharing with me your experience. I do think it was a combination of both the air and anxiety. I had my fill late in the day (on liquids all day) so I'm sure that factored in too. I think I might have it in the am next time, althoughI was told that its better later in the day.

I so sorry. Be careful not to lock your knees while you are standing waiting for the needle, folks often do that as a response to anxiety and down they go.

I have only passed out twice in my life. Once was while I was doing something stupid (piercing) and once while in a doctors office having blood taken. It was hot, and my three kids were driving me crazy in that little room. I am the person that voluntered to be the pin cushion in my nursing Iv class so needles are not my problem. It was just something that happens sometimes..

I've passed out a few times in my life and it's scary! Once when I had the flu and the others because of heat and lack of food.

I was on an airplane in the summer and it was delayed and just sitting on the runway. No air was moving inside and it grew stuffy. It was a morning flight and I did not have time for brekfast. All of a sudden that terrible feeling came over me, I started sweating buckets and passed out for a few seconds on the shoulder of my boyfriend next to me.

Another time I was on a train...(embarassing) and another time being fitted for my wedding dress.

One time I was sitting at a B&B having a drink with a girlfriend and there was a fireplace next to me. Some stranger who sat way across the room kept piling logs on top of it and I passed out.

A funny ending to that story, my friend took me outside and threw me on top of a snowbank where I regained my senses. But people were walking past and looking at me, I could not get up. I was so embarrassed I just blurted out I was pregnant and feeling faint.

It's not fun

I can't wait to get approval to get banded, but I am really afraid of the fills. I don't mind needles unless you have to move it around under the skin (like your experience). Is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening? I know I am putting the cart before the horse (since I am not even banded! lol), I just don't like surprises and am just a little uncomfortable with the thought of laying on the floor like a rug! lol

Thanks! Patti

I passed out one time. I had stuck a wooden Shish K Bob into my hand. I was standing while my sister-un-law was trying to dig it out with a needle. I said I feel sick I need to go to the bathroom. I got half way down the hall before hitting the ground. I didn't lose complete conscience, but couldn't keep myself from going down. It wasn't from the pain because I have beared far worse pain before, but I think it had to be because I was standing up so long.

This is my experience with fills..all I do is get on table with a pillow the small of my back. I then take a deep breath, hold it and push my belly out. The dr. then has a fine needle which he basically takes aim and shoots. Pulls back to make sure that previous Fluid is still there and then puts the rest in. The actual in and out takes 2 minutes. He has never missed. He does feel around a bit. It pinches just about hte same as a bee (without the after pain.) How the heck are you getting fills????:confused:

Gee, I hadn't gotten to the point of thinking about the fills yet. My banding is Aug. 7th. I made it through an amniocentesis, a few years ago. It won't be like that will it?

Sorry that happened to you - scary and embarassing.

I passed out years ago after getting Fluid drained from my knee and steroids injected into the joint. I was a teenager and really interested in the procedure and I'm not afraid of needles. However, you have to realize that your mind experiences some trauma just watching those things happen to your own body. The doctor put this horrendously huge needle into my knee and extracted some Fluid and then with a slightly smaller needle injected the steroids. No problem. I watched the whole time and was fine. I got up from the table walked out of the exam room and up to the payment window and BAM! :faint: down I went. I was completely embarassed. He TOLD me I shouldn't watch, but I thought I was so tough - I'd watched my friend's father do open heart surgery lots of times. How bad could a couple of needles be, right?

I have NEVER watched a medical professional put a needle into my skin ever again. Once it's in that's fine, but the actual puncture is apparently too weird for the ol' brain to accept.

The only other time that I remember passing out is when I was 8 years old and we took the train to the top of Pike's Peak in CO. Barfed on my mom and went down like a sequoia. I was out for quite a bit, too. My mom is paying me back from the great beyond for all the times I barfed on her at the expense of one of my boys - he has migraine's and barfs all the time at the most inopportune times. Last time was on a Jeep tour in South Dakota looking for Elk. He spewed on my husband, me and himself - not to mention all over the back seat of the Jeep.:confused: Whoopie. How embarassing is that?

Don't feel bad - it happens. I'm actually surprised that the doctor was so concerned. It has to have happened before. I'd say, make sure you're hydrated, cool and don't lock your knees. And whatever you do, don't look!

I just got back from having my first fill. And, I can say that I almost passed out on the Fluro table--a couple of times! My surgeon and his intern were there and assured me that it is a common phenomenon. Evidently, there is a nerve that runs down the abdomen that is more sensitive in some people than in others. The needles, both for numbing and for filling, somehow impact that nerve. They were completely non-plussed about it, said it happens a lot, they flattened me out on the table a couple of times, gave me some Water and I felt better, though not completely better until I was out in the fresh air.

All of that is to say: It might happen to you again and I wouldn't worry about it. Again, my surgeon seemed completly fine with it and they had a routine down to deal with it which tells me it happens enough for them to know what to do.

Coco

I have never, never been afraid of needles. I have had multiple surgeries on my leg. I think it was a combo of temperature and anxiety (probably reading too much about it!) I am glad I got it. I don't feel restriction, but I am not as afraid as when I first posted. I think its...........mostly psychological.

I can't wait to get approval to get banded, but I am really afraid of the fills. I don't mind needles unless you have to move it around under the skin (like your experience). Is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening? I know I am putting the cart before the horse (since I am not even banded! lol), I just don't like surprises and am just a little uncomfortable with the thought of laying on the floor like a rug! lol

Thanks! Patti

Patti, sorry this took so long to respond to. The doctor I had didn't have much experience w/fills (so he admitted lol), so at first I layed down, then he couldn't get it, so I stood up...still couldn't get it after the 3rd poke oyyy I was done.

So, my advice would be to get a doc who feels comfortable doing the fills or have them done under fluro (which can be expensive). The next few fills I had were done by the other doctor, who was really the "fill" doctor. He did them with no problem and no fluro.

When you have a good "filler" it really doesn't hurt.