Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Accountability in Mexico? (convincing loved ones)

My friends and family are scared of banding in Mexico. (I'm leaning towards Rumbaut) They worry that there is less accountability there if something were to go wrong with the band - whether it is 10 days later, or in 5 years. How can I insure, legally or otherwise, that a doctor would be responsible for the band? Or can I even expect that?

If I can safely tell my family Rumbaut is 'one of the very best', could I find another surgeon in the US considered 'one of the best'? I know they would feel better and be more supportive. However, my search for the best in the US hasn't yielded many results. Especially being self-pay, I am looking for the highest quality I can get at the best price.

At this point I have these options:

Dr. Snyder in Denver, $12,700, he's done 100+ bands

Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, $10,000, he's done ~40 bands

So it seems like a no-brainer to go to Rumbaut, $10,000, and he's thousands of bands. But my family isn't so convinced. They are super worried about follow-up and accounatbility.

Help me lap-band peeps!

Well I am self pay and I chose a surgeon close to home who has done well over 1000 bands and is considered one of the best. I had to pay 18,500 but I am glad I paid more and know I have the follow up care. I know lots of perople go to Mexico but frankly it scares me to have surgery in another country.

I had the same exact thoughts and feelings. I was also going by myself which had my family very, very scared. My co-workers and friends all questioned my thinking and were oppose to it initially. I went to Dr. Joya and he was wonderful, I had it on Monday and I am doing and feeling fantastic. The care was great and the hospital was nicer then most American hospitals. I definitely felt comfortable once knowing how many surgeries my doctor had. Good luck in your research....oh, it only cost me $8000 that included airfare and hotel. You can read my journal for pics and my journal of what happened.

My friends and family are scared of banding in Mexico. (I'm leaning towards Rumbaut) They worry that there is less accountability there if something were to go wrong with the band - whether it is 10 days later, or in 5 years. How can I insure, legally or otherwise, that a doctor would be responsible for the band? Or can I even expect that?

If I can safely tell my family Rumbaut is 'one of the very best', could I find another surgeon in the US considered 'one of the best'? I know they would feel better and be more supportive. However, my search for the best in the US hasn't yielded many results. Especially being self-pay, I am looking for the highest quality I can get at the best price.

So it seems like a no-brainer to go to Rumbaut, $10,000, and he's thousands of bands. But my family isn't so convinced. They are super worried about follow-up and accounatbility.

Help me lap-band peeps!

My main concern was followup. My surgery is going to be about $16,000 and I'm self pay also. But for that, I got all my pre-ops evals(except the psych), surgery, and a year of fills, along with follow up visits and care. Also, if there are any problems with the band(not caused by me being stupid I think) they will fix it and waive their fees.

The clinic is close to home and work, so that helps. And my DH has gotten really good care.

Now, all that said, I really believe it's a very personal decision. You have to decide what your priorities are and make sure you meet them.

That's a tough and very personal choice. I have heard great things from a lot of happy people who were banded in Mexico. There was also a poll and/or thread I saw on here somewhere on erosion and slippage statistics, and it seemed many of the people with complications seemed to be Mexico patients.. now, that may simply be because of numbers, maybe more people overall are being banded there, so maybe it's not really a higher percentage proportionately, I don't know. As far as cost goes.. I know that the cost of the band alone is about 5500$, that's what the surgeon pays for the band from the manufacturer. Then there are the costs of all the items used in the procedure, sterilization, the costs of running the operating room, paying the staff, etc. When I see a price difference of several hundred dollars between surgeons, I often ask myself.. why? Does that mean that the person charging me 5000 dollars (or more) less is going to give me the exact same level of care as the person charging me 5000 more? Will there be one less pair of helping hands in the O.R.? What is included in my costs? Is it -really- going to be the exact same procedure with the exact same level of care in both places? Honestly, who knows, but it is something I wonder about, maybe you really do get what you pay for? If I was going to get the procedure done out of country, which for me meant outside of Canada, I would definitely research my legal rights, etc, what would happen if something went wrong? What is different in terms of getting it done locally or in a foreign country? What happens if it turns out that this Dr. who has been doing hundreds of these surgeries is a fraud or a quack, and 3 years from now there are hundreds of people with major problems? Is it likely... no. Is it possible, maybe... I'd want to know about all the 'what if's'... Mind you, I'm just a tad paranoid, and mind you, a person I respect a lot once said "paranoia is just another word for longevity"

XO

Leila

My friends and family don't know I'm going to Mexico for my surgery. They just wouldn't understand at all. I have heard many good things about the surgeons in Mexico, and several stories regarding complications and their Mexico MD's stepping up to the plate and resolving the issues. I personally am doing a hybrid of this. I have arranged for a local physician to do my follow up and fills. Should I have any major complications, I'll have someone nearby.

Help me lap-band peeps!

Well, I went to Mexico and my family wasn't happy about it but they did support me. I am a year & 2 months out and have lost 93lbs which is about 70% of my body fat. My fill and after care doctor is here in the states and I love them just as much as I love the doctor who put my band in.

Follow-up & accountability from a doctor in Mexico is not going to be easy, it will difinately be a challenge unless you are close to the boarder. You will have to weigh the pros and cons regarding that, that is an individual decision. For me, I would not change a thing, everything has been great. The cost was cheaper and I've had no problems.

Please think it through but there are no guarantees in life, we take chances everyday when we walk out our doors. It really is a personal decision. Good luck, my 2 pennies!!

I didn't really even consider going to Mexico. It was just totally out of the question for me. For me, I needed to have a doc that was close and that I could get in to see immediatley if I needed to. I also feel that docs here have to be more accountable and I am better protected by the laws that we have in place in the states. I was lucky to have a doc close by whose price was very competitive with Mexico. Just my opinion....

I think choosing where to have your surgery done is a very personal decision that only you can make. I don't think any less of anyone that had it done in Mexico...we all have to do what is best for ourselves.

Good luck to you in your decision!

I was banded in Mexico and I have been band successful thus far BUT.... I think had I found the lower price in the US at the time I was banded, I would have paid for the US. Just to have the peace of mind and not to have to explain Tijuana to others. Less hassle. Follow up care is obvious.

So my choice would be based on Dr. interviews between the two. The price difference is not that big. I would go with the Denver doc that I was most comfortable (gut feeling) about.

I agree had i found it cheaper in the us i would have done it too.

Dont get me wrong my dorc has been great! but its such a hassle to have to go there for everything..its expensive to get fills here in texas if your a "Mexican patient" (thats what they call people banded in mexico) But ive have 3 surgeries for my band done down there one being a removal and the other 2 bandings and my doctor has been great!

They usually will account for it seeing as the internet is where they get most of their business and word of mouth...if the word is bad they like anyone else will loose bussiness. and they dont want that..

But its a personal decision...my mother had hers done in Mexico and none of us knew anythign till she got back!:faint:

But as for me..hell i tell everyone! and i get mixed reviews lots of people are like "omg id never have that done in mexico" while imstanding there telling them how much weight ive lost and how many inches and my clothes are hanging off me...DUH! Didnt hurt me so why would it them? LOL

there are errors in every medical practice all over the world NOT JUST MEXICO..:D

So just do your research on the doctor of your choice and ask around..people will tell you what they think and what experiences they had..:Banane22:

Keep up posted!

Christy:girl_hug:

Generally, you won't find accountability if you're an American in Mexico. Although, I believe there are probably some excellent, well-trained surgeons in Mexico.

Remember, to find good aftercare for your fills and followups. Usually that will be a local surgeon. It is critical that you have someone look after you in the years to come. The initial banding is just the beginning of your journey.

Good luck. Shawn

I was afraid and apprenensive but all went well. I go to NYU Dr Fielding for fills and aftercare. I'd be happy to tell you about my experience with him. You are right to look at the number of surgeries he has done and I have never read or heard anything bad about him. Infact , he is well regarded in the world as well as the USA for having a wonderful reputation. He has mot experince than many US doctors. He has a lapband as well.

Choosing your surgeon is a very serious matter, I went to Mexico...Dr. Del La Garza because of the other American nurses who went to him...I trust him, I want you to trust your surgeon as well. I've returned to Mx for my two fills, but I may have my next one in Dallas. I surgeon with a good reputation can get you in to see a doctor in your area for fills...So, ask Dr. Rumbaut, before you go for surgery, who in your area he can refer you to...I've heard good things about him and have no doubt he will take care of a referral for you, but do it ahead of time for your family's peace of mind.

I was teased to no end by other nurses...and a few docs about going to Mx., but as I see it a doctor has an ethical responsiblity to take the best care of his patients that he can...Nationality doesn't matter. Private hospitals in Mx. are for profit, they want you to return and bring your friends...The best way to do that is to keep you healthy and happy. While I can't imagine shopping for the cheapest doc on the internet if you know people who've used a specific doc the rate of exchange USA/Mx and Canada/Mx just makes Medical Tourism attractive...if you trust your surgeon.

Dr. Rumbaut is great. You might consider emailing Doralisa (his assistant, if you haven't already been in contact with her) and asking what their policies are on complications.

If you were going to chose a surgeon in Mexico, there's probably no one else I would recommend as much as him. As for the US, there's accountability, but the experience level isn't quite there yet.

There are a number of people on this forum who see Dr. Billy in Ventura CA. He's also helped alot of people who were banded in Mexico and then had issues they weren't getting help with from their original doctors or doctors in their states.