Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see everyone talking about all different kinds of shakes and Vitamins and greek yogurt and mentioning brands I've never heard of and it kind of feels like I am in a foreign land trying to figure out what am I going to eat. I'm worried that I won't know what or how to eat....like I need some guide book or something. What did ya'll do? I don't want to just play it by ear, I want to be prepared. Does your visit with the nutritionist really teach you all you need to know or would you recommend a certain book or site....yeah I know there is a nutrition section here but a lot of different opinions going on lol. I'm confused.:huh:

Your surgeon/nut should give you a food plan with each stage of the diet listed with allowed/prohibited foods for XX amount of weeks.

The list of Protein samples in the Protein Drink forum is a good place to order samples. I've also posted an enormous list of Protein Drink recipes that are helpful to some. You need whey Protein for your primary protein intake during the healing period. Any thing that is non-caffeinated, non-carbonated and sugar free counts as a clear liquid. So, for that stage, broth, crystal light, sugar free popsicles and Jello all count as fluids as does sugar free gatorade/powerade.

As for dietary guidelines, there's a few published out there for reference.

http://www.laplose.com/Media/Forms/SleeveDietGuide.pdf

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

I personally stuck with what was given to me, and it worked fabulously. Other plans were quite different than mine, and they worked for those patients as well. The key is to find what works for you. Also, I think it's key to remember(after the healing post-op diet), that during your losing stage that these are guidelines, and you are responsible for finding what works for your body. Personally, I can not lose weight not monitoring carbs, and low carb works best for me to get weight off even over 12-15 months out, low carb works great for me, but that's no guarantee it'll work for you, or the next patient. I also survived and thrived on no more than 800 calories a day for over 6 months others report they need more. I didn't, and I lost my weight just how I wanted to lose my weight.

Your surgeon will give you dietary guidelines to follow. My nut was not what I thought that she would be. So I relyed on what my surgeon gave me. From that information I created my menu for the first five weeks by trying something different every week. Now I eat what I can. Turkey, chicken, seafood and some pork. I manage some carbs. And LOTS of Water. I just recently added fresh fruit. Watermelon, honey dew and cantalope. Which go down easy. I eat a little over 1/4 cup. You will eat what is right for you. You will know what is right. Trust me. :D You will be just fine.

Deb

Thanks....that put my mind at ease a bit. Everyone seems like nutrition experts....I guess I will get there eventually too and be able to advise others....right now I am just a lost newbie...lol. :blink: