Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS is "the easy way out"

When people judge WLS patients and say that it's the easy way out, it makes me want to scream. Because there's been no part of my weight loss journey that's been easy. Every meal is a struggle. Every decision is a struggle. Every night on the town is a struggle. And they all have dire consequences if you make a mistake, in the form of ALL types of inner digestive system pain, or the mental trauma that goes with doing the wrong thing.

The decision to have WLS to force my hand is the only part of this journey that has been easy.

I'm glad that I can say that after 2.5 months, i'm finally forming good habits - habits that will stick with me long term, instead of the stupid short term mental compulsions that come with crash dieting. It's kinda doing it on it's own, because of this mental conditioning and physical limitation I have placed on myself.

I scour the forums and see that most people who have been sleeved for this long (and longer) feel the same way, and I remember when I was a newbie thinking, "man, i hope that happens to me". So to the newbs out there - It works, and it's worth it. But damn, it's a struggle.

Peace and Love!

When people don't know all the facts..they can make assumptions..It's called ignorance!:(

We had a medical procedure to improve our health.

Is taking medication for type 2 diabetes taking the easy way out??

Is taking meds for depression the easy way out??

Is wearing a mask for sleep apnea the easy way out??

I could go on and on....

A friend of mine had to do TWO days of Clear liquids to get ready for a colonoscopy and told me she had new respect for me. She could barely do it!!! I went over 4 weeks without solid foods!!

Keep on your track to good health and surround yourself with positive and supportive people

Ignorance should be painful.

It is, but to the observer, not the possessor (unfortunately!!). :rolleyes:

Here's the thing--people who judge you for having WLS were also probably judging you for being obese. The way I see it, those people are going to judge me either way, so I might as well make the decision that will actually change my life in the long run. I think "the easy way out" is to judge someone rather than to take the time to talk to them and understand their specific situation.

It is frustrating when people say things like that. No part of being morbidly obese is easy. I have just learned to not let it get to me. I look and feel great. The sleeve has been one of the best decisions of my life. I am thankful to be able to come here for support because no one but us really understands what it is like.

Exactly! That's why I chose not to tell anyone other my wife and kids and their spouses. When I get asked how I've lost more than 100 lbs in 4 1/2 months, I just tell them I made lifestyle changes. Let then ask...

Here's the thing--people who judge you for having WLS were also probably judging you for being obese. The way I see it, those people are going to judge me either way, so I might as well make the decision that will actually change my life in the long run. I think "the easy way out" is to judge someone rather than to take the time to talk to them and understand their specific situation.

OK, as far as telling people, let me first preface this by saying that this is a very personal decision and there are a lot of opinions out there on what to do. Truth be told, there is no right or wrong way--only the way that works for you.

My choice was to tell everyone that was important to me about the surgery upfront and I received mostly very positive support and one or two people who really questioned if I was doing the right thing or not. The naysayers shook their heads and just did not understand why I was going to go through with this and at the same time, I know that these same people are dealing with their own weight issues and I believe that me making this decision for myself called out their own insecurities around weight loss and getting healthy. The good news is after seeing the results and learning while I am on this journey, they are now much more supportive.

So we know that theere is a lot of ignorance out there around weight loss surgery and especially around the sleeve I feel, that for me, if I remained silent about my weightloss, I was pushing that same ignorance forward by giving credence to the silence and possibly giving people the impression that I was doing something that I was ashamed of. I am just the opposite...I want to enlighten and educate and I do--whenever I can. People are very resourceful. If I didn't say anything, they would find out or at least speculate that I had help and "took the easy way out.". This way, by telling people and educatiing along the way, I can show friends and family how this is tough work and certainly not easy. I felt I could only do this by telling the full truth. I guess I just want to bring the sleeve out of the closet and into the light that it deserves. Sleeve surgery saved my life and I will tell the world.

For me, Sleeve surgery did not make weight loss and getting healthy "easy"--it made it possible!

David

When people judge WLS patients and say that it's the easy way out, it makes me want to scream. Because there's been no part of my weight loss journey that's been easy. Every meal is a struggle. Every decision is a struggle. Every night on the town is a struggle. And they all have dire consequences if you make a mistake, in the form of ALL types of inner digestive system pain, or the mental trauma that goes with doing the wrong thing.

The decision to have WLS to force my hand is the only part of this journey that has been easy.

I'm glad that I can say that after 2.5 months, i'm finally forming good habits - habits that will stick with me long term, instead of the stupid short term mental compulsions that come with crash dieting. It's kinda doing it on it's own, because of this mental conditioning and physical limitation I have placed on myself.

I scour the forums and see that most people who have been sleeved for this long (and longer) feel the same way, and I remember when I was a newbie thinking, "man, i hope that happens to me". So to the newbs out there - It works, and it's worth it. But damn, it's a struggle.

Peace and Love!

First of all. What's wrong with taking the easy way out? (even though WLS is not easy) even if it were easy what's so bad about that? Life should be good happy and easy. If you have a life like that I say you're successful! So I think when people say that they are just jealous. If you can find the easy way to do things in your life, go for it! So to all those ignorant people, Lighten Up!

First of all. What's wrong with taking the easy way out? (even though WLS is not easy) even if it were easy what's so bad about that? Life should be good happy and easy. If you have a life like that I say you're successful! So I think when people say that they are just jealous. If you can find the easy way to do things in your life, go for it! So to all those ignorant people, Lighten Up!

EXACTLY. There is SO much judgment and condemnation underlying the "easy way out" accusation, that I refuse to even entertain things on that level whatsoever. I am happy to turn it around and ask them why I should NOT take the easy way out. Let them answer that one without totally outing themselves as ignorant a-holes and then maybe we'll talk.

There is no virtue in effort for its own sake. There is little if any moral failure involved in being fat, so no "punishment" is necessary. TYVM. B)

I feel like your icon right now...screaming. Nothing additional to say except what others have said. YEAH to each of you for knowing we worked for our weight loss, we just have help with our sleeve. Even at goal I still make choices to keep the weight off.

Easy? Define easy.

I'm with David and his response.

I don't plaster it everywhere that I'm losing weight and how. It is VERY noticeable though and I get stopped and questioned pretty much all day every day. It seems to me that is all anyone wants to talk about with me anymore. It can be a little bit annoying but then again, I'm sure everyone is simply curious. If they tell me, "Wow you've lost weight, good job!!" I simply say, "thank you..." If they ask me HOW I did it then I'm honest and I tell them. My most common response to this is "Thank you. I workout, and I eat healthy. I also had WLS that reduced my stomach a lot and it keeps me from being hungry all the time too." That pretty much seals the conversation, and everyone I tell this too is always positive and great about it. I don't usually go into much more detail. Normal everyday folks don't know the difference between any of the WLS. I don't even go into details unless they want me to. I would feel like a broken record otherwise. I do have a lot of more things to discuss besides my weight and how I lost it.

Anyway, I'm just saying this because my scale does not define me. Neither does my surgery. But... if someone is genuinely curious I do discuss it with them. I have yet for anyone to tell me this was the easy way out. I tell them otherwise before they even have a chance to.

:)

Love reading everyone's responses to this. It so has NOT been easy for me. Recovery wasn't bad at all. But like a lot of you have said you have to constantly monitor what you are putting in your body. And of course exercise. I've fought hard for every SINGLE pound. I've been exercising from one wk post surgery to present.

For the first time a coworker asked me last week how I've lost weight and I didn't know what to say. I told her about the surgery but just hate that I know she probably is assuming that the "surgery" is doing all the work. It helps but I am doing the hard work! lol . . . can be tiring explaining this surgery from the others. In time I guess I'll get used to it.