Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in Puberty Hell

Here's the pertinent data - I am 54 years young - and had a hysterectomy in 1990. I was left one ovary and went on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) within a few months of surgery. My hormone level has been relatively calm all these years - except when I rapidly lose weight. Fast forward in time to now - I am three months post VSG surgery - have lost 54 pounds - and am in the throws of a wicked PUBERTY. I alternate (sometimes rapidly) from wanting to RIP OFF SOMEONE'S HEAD THAT ANNOYS ME and WEEPING over the most trivial items. My people skills seem to have left me (not a good thing for my career). I have an appointment with my doc to have blood drawn on Monday, and then to have the results of the bloodwork reviewed a week from Friday. I want my hormone levels stabilized! This is driving me nuts!

Anyone else experiencing this? Other than this issue - I feel great after my surgery, and I am happy with my sleeve.

Wow. My puberty was totally different than that lol. I just had the occasional spontaneous erection...ok so it was more than occasional. Lol

It's an unfortunate side effect, and I can tell you that I experienced it until I got my weight stabilized. It was worse the first 4-5 months, and I was able to track trends, and identify it was the week of my ovulation that set me off. I was never this "moody" pre-op, I never had monstrous mood swings, and even now, my ovulation week was horrific with crying then screaming. Since we were trying to conceive, I can tell you that the mood swings made TTC very difficult because I'd rather claw his eyes out than have sex with him LOL. The acne and crazy oily skin really screwed with me mentally too.

hahaha and i was just the opposite. . . i was a miserable, grouchy, menopausal biotch when i was really huge and during my weight loss period i was like a purring kitty. . . quiet, content, actually loving. . . my hubbie would say "I like you this way, your much easier to get along with" . . . even now, after losing 150 lbs i just sit, cross my legs and look at the person who is getting all crazy stupid on me and looking for an arguement. . . i don't say anything, and it makes them look really silly. . .:lol: . . . good luck, hope this passes for you soon!

Taint any better for the guys neither. I have been on testosterone replacement for a little less than a year now, I think it's what really jump started my weight loss and spurred me on to getting a sleeve and losing 120+ pounds already.

Prior to my Sleeve op I HAD leveled out about 650 ngdl which is just right. I started out at 125 - way low and just above the testosterone level a woman produces. After losing 80 pounds it was time for my level check and it shot all the way up to 1050! I too was "tearing heads off". We cut the dosage back to 3/4 CC from 1 full CC. My weight continues to drop and the last check I had the level was 1200! Have you ever seen the incredible Hulk movie? Well that was me. PISSED does not begin to describe my attitude :)

The real trouble is that that is my peak, a week after my shot, when I test the trough (low point) just before a shot, I'm back to 125. So I go through these wild swings TWICE a month - shots are every 2 weeks.

It's played hell with my emotions, I go from watching a sad TV program and weeping to wanting rip someones heart out and shove it down their throat for something like bumping in to me. I'll be glad when I reach my goal and can stabilize my weight and maybe stabilize my test. dosage and level.

My hormones are shot- like it's bad. I just don't know what to do, it's just like puberty all over again, I have to go see a dermatologist this week because my breakouts are so bad, my skin is sooooo oily. So depressing lol

I'm early 40s, also had hysterectomy a few years back, have both ovaries still, no HRT. I haven't had breakouts or skin issues (never did the first time round either), but I have been some kind of emotional freak show. Well, for me anyhow. I'm normally very rational and quite thick-skinned. I'm still both of those most of the time, but I also get massively depressed and blah for no apparent reason whatsoever and just circle the emotional drain for a while. I haven't been crying or feeling like crying, just way blue and non-verbal and much more sleepy than normal. Sucks. I feel bad for my husband. Sigh.

Here's to getting through these rough tween months (hopefully...).

I went to my internist yesterday for my 3 month follow-up visit. My hormones tested normal! She didn't want to raise my estrogen supplement - said it would make the mood swings worse. She didn't want to lower the amount, because she says the dose I'm on will help keep my skin supple and elastic. At 54, I want all the help there I can get, so I agreed with her. So - basically I am going to tough it out and work through these damn mood swings.

The good news - I am "officially" in ONEderland by her scales - 198 1/2 pounds. YEA! 54 1/2 pounds lost in 3 months. And my bloodwork was great - my cholesterol is normal - and I have been of all cholesterol lowering meds since 2 weeks before surgery. My "good" cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol were both where they needed to be. I haven't had a report like that in many years (and many pounds ago). The only problem was I am anemic - so she doubled my Iron supplement from 1 to 2 per day and told me to start working beef into my diet. I have faught being anemic my entire life - no matter what I weighed. She took me off of one of my two blood pressure meds and plans on getting me off of the other one soon. My blood pressure was running from 100 - 110 sytolic and from 55 - 70 bottom number (word escapes me) and my pulse is in the 60's.

So I am still in Puberty Hell, but she said the mood swings would stabilize with time.

Here's the pertinent data - I am 54 years young - and had a hysterectomy in 1990. I was left one ovary and went on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) within a few months of surgery. My hormone level has been relatively calm all these years - except when I rapidly lose weight. Fast forward in time to now - I am three months post VSG surgery - have lost 54 pounds - and am in the throws of a wicked PUBERTY. I alternate (sometimes rapidly) from wanting to RIP OFF SOMEONE'S HEAD THAT ANNOYS ME and WEEPING over the most trivial items. My people skills seem to have left me (not a good thing for my career). I have an appointment with my doc to have blood drawn on Monday, and then to have the results of the bloodwork reviewed a week from Friday. I want my hormone levels stabilized! This is driving me nuts!

Anyone else experiencing this? Other than this issue - I feel great after my surgery, and I am happy with my sleeve.

This is so funny that I ran across this post.........because my last name is also Cunningham and I had the puberty too! :-)

I am 32. I've never had acne in my life (not even during puberty) until after I had this surgery. I started breaking out BAD right along my jawline. I used to work for a dermatologist and he always said acne on the jawline area is hormonal. Also had mood swings and hot flashes. I am glad to report that this has all resolved.....and did not last too long after surgery.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

I think the fat cells stores all sorts of fat soluble stuff like toxins and hormone chemicals in your body and I believe that the sex hormones are fat soluble, so you are liberating previously stored hormones as you burn the fat. I went through terrible mood swings when I was losing weight agressively but when the loss petered off the mood stabilised. I think understanding why it's happening helps but from my experience you just have to wait this one out. Soz x