Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having surgery soon...like within the month and I'm trying to prepare myself for "Hell Week" and beyond. Please share your experiences with post op pain and nausea. Which was worse and how long did it last? I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to pain and an even BIGGER wimp dealing with nausea.

Thanks

I'm having surgery soon...like within the month and I'm trying to prepare myself for "Hell Week" and beyond. Please share your experiences with post op pain and nausea. Which was worse and how long did it last? I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to pain and an even BIGGER wimp dealing with nausea.

Thanks

For me it was the pain, but that was only the first 2 days post surgery. I had a bit of nausea, but the nurses quickly took care of it with a shot. My pain was well well controlled with the pump that I could push every 6 minutes and 4 hour booster injections into my iv. When I went home I was more sore than in pain and had no nausea after day 2 in the hospital.

When mental preping,, try to stay on the postive side, I think what expect tends to be a self fullfilling proficy.

I was SOOO VERY LUCKY!! No nausea or vomiting at all!!

I had SEVER gas pain from the moment I woke up from surgery until 4 days out!! That was the worst pain ever! Up under my ribs hurt so bad, it was hard to breathe and I felt horrible. I could not get rid of it! Nothing helped!! I feel so much better today tho. I passed a lot of it last night and got diaharreha yesterday which helped.

Today, I feel as if I have been kicked in the ribs and have a lot of brusing! Other than that, I feel great! When sitting still, I feel fine, it is only when I move, I feel pain. Like I have done a million crunches is the best way to describe it. My abs and obliques are SOOOO SORE!!! It is not enough pain to regreat my decision and I would do it again tomorrow! I also have not taken any pain meds in 2 days and was sleeved on Monday the 9th. So it is not that bad!!

Best of luck to you!

Kelly B)

I had nausea first two days post-op, but very little pain at all. Felt quite good from day four onward.

No nausea, no abdominal pain. I was pretty doped up, slept most of the 2 days post op. I had pain in my left shoulder and neck from the CO2 gas and having a heating pad underneath my shoulder helped.

I did have a massive bruise on my shoulder and gas pains in my shoulder, no idea what happened re the bruise but that was the only pain I had. Heat pack helped, I took those ones that stick on your skin into hospital and they were great.

I did have nausea and feel BLAH, just not right, on postop day 1-2. Day 3 I was good.

The worst thing of the whole experience was the nasogastric tube I had to have in for 5 days. Ick ick ick. Worst thing ever. I have a new empathy for my patients as I never knew how uncomfortable they are!

Hi--

Was lucky on both fronts, I think. No nausea, but they may have been controlling that medically while I was in the hospital for 2 days. Once home, no nausea. I had awesome pain control in the hospital. Once home, I took pain meds for one day and then pitched it because it made me feel weird. No pain except for where the drain had been. That was more of an ache that I would feel when movong from bed to standing up - it would be around for a few minutes and then go away. Nothing too major. It took about 2 weeks to completely disappear.

I didn't have terrible gas pains either. I slept with a heating pad for a couple of weeks, but I tink that was more psychological :-) It just made me feel good.

Everyone is different...

No nausea at all! Pain wasn't bad either. I took a narcotic pain med combo with Tylenol for the first couple of days and then switched to just tylenol. I had a large hiatal hernia repair at the same time and much of the pain was related to the site of that repair I showed my doc where it hurt and he told me it was because it took a lot of work to repair my diaphragm. I did have the gas pains under my left shoulder and that was uncomfortable until it was eventually absorbed.

People occasionally DO post that they have a lot of pain with the surgery but I think they are in the minority. I think if you read a lot of posts you find that most folks find it to be manageable.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! It will be over before you know it and you will be happily losing weight! :D

For me it was definitely the nausea... which sux because I hate feeling like that and I especially hate vomiting. The pain for me wasn't too bad. I was able to get away with just pain pills here and there, non narcotic.

I should have mentioned that I didn't even get any good pain meds while in hospital either -- no morphine pump, nothing but paracetamol in my IV, and then later the effervescent version for my Water glass. And yet my pain wasn't bad at all, so I can't be too bitter. (After my hysterectomy, which was a major surgery due to complications, I had a morphine pump for the first day or so, then also got switched to paracetamol and ibuprofen...both in suppository form. :blink: So I'm glad they didn't go that route [lol] this time!)

Yeah, I didn't get good drugs either!! I got Diluad and didn't even use it. The pain I had was gas pain and the Diludad wasn't helping that, so I didn't even push the button!

About 12 hours later they gave me liquid Vicoden and that didn't help either. I came home with a HUGE bottle of it and have only taken about 5 TBS of it.

I am a week out today and now that my gas is gone, I feel much better. I just feel like I have done too many crunches. That is my type of soreness. Northing more! You will be fine!

Kelly :D

Yeah, I didn't get good drugs either!! I got Diluad and didn't even use it. The pain I had was gas pain and the Diludad wasn't helping that, so I didn't even push the button!

About 12 hours later they gave me liquid Vicoden and that didn't help either. I came home with a HUGE bottle of it and have only taken about 5 TBS of it.

I am a week out today and now that my gas is gone, I feel much better. I just feel like I have done too many crunches. That is my type of soreness. Northing more! You will be fine!

Kelly :D

Diludad is an excellent drug in the morphine family.

Maybe so, but I didn't really need pain meds, so I didn't use it after the first few hours. It also made me HIGH AS HELL!!

I could not see or stand up to walk. They had to put me back in bed twice because my legs kept buckeling!! LOL

I stopped pushing the button once I realized my pain was gas and then I was able to walk!

Kelly ;)

In my personal experience with the sleeve the first 3 days were pretty bad for me. Not so much pain just nausea. They did give me pain and nausea medication and it does help. Around day 4 which was when I got my drain removed I was much better. I really despised the drain hanging off my body and was glad to see it go. You'll experience nausea time to time the first few weeks but pain shouldn't be a issue. If you're in pain let your surgeon know and they'll prescribe you something for it. I was so scared to have my surgery from reading things other people wrote and it wasn't bad at all. I almost felt embarrassed that I got so nervous and bent out of shape before it, lol. You'll be fine as long as you just take it easy and stick to the diet and meds they give you. Well wishes.