Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you scared to have weight loss surgery

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much. I stared this process on Jan. 1, 2010. I have been waiting 7 months for a surgery date. I have about 80-100 lbs to lose.

I told my husband that I feel like I am going crazy...My mind keeps going back and forwards about all the reason I should have the surgery (health reasons, not as active as I would like to be, and I hate to see myself in a mirror) and all the reasons I could do this on my own with a personal trainer and Weight Watchers. So, I go from excited to scared and all the mixed up emotions in between.

I appreciate this website so much...because it feels good to have additional support.

Enjoy Vegas. That is one of my favorite places to visit.

Toyia

Hi Tonyia,

Any surgery is scarry and there are always risks. They are pretty rare. It is normal to be scared. I was scared, I was going to Mexico, to a doctor I had never met face to face. I knew a lot about him, and that is why I was going to Mexico. I went alone and I wanted to go alone, I am a very independent lady. NO you will not turn into all skin. Some people do go back later and have skin rmoved--plastic surgery. I am not sure how much you have to lose.

If people don't want to be around you, then they were never your "real" friends. Those that are will love you know matter how mch your body changes.

I wll write more to you later this weekend. I am in Las Vegas and time to go have some fun.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much. I stared this process on Jan. 1, 2010. I have been waiting 7 months for a surgery date. I have about 80-100 lbs to lose.

I told my husband that I feel like I am going crazy...My mind keeps going back and forwards about all the reason I should have the surgery (health reasons, not as active as I would like to be, and I hate to see myself in a mirror) and all the reasons I could do this on my own with a personal trainer and Weight Watchers. So, I go from excited to scared and all the mixed up emotions in between.

I appreciate this website so much...because it feels good to have additional support.

Enjoy Vegas. That is one of my favorite places to visit.

Toyia

Hi Toyia,

If you could have done this with a trainer and Weight Watcher you would have already done it, and never gained it back. There is no shame in having the WLS. We look at the cost and then try to tell ourselves we can do this on our own. I figured out that I was going to die faster and sooner from being fat and I was worth the cost of the surgery, so I went for it.

Then once I knew my surgery date, I still had debates with myself about should I really do this or should I do it on my own--isn't that just crazy. I now could kick myself in the butt for NOT doing it sooner. So take it from someone who has done just what you are doing. Everyday you live as a "fat person" is a day you are giving your life away. You can have a healthy and happy life without the struggles that we ALL have been doing. I hear you when you say you hate yourself when you look in the mirror. There is a skinny, thin healthy person inside you screaming " GET ME OUT OF HERE"

We make car payments when we want a new car and never think much about making them--I can't take credit for this statement--someone else said it first so I told her I was going to borrow it). It is a way to have something that we want. Why not make "Body Payments". As least when it is paid off we have something to show for it.

So my message to you girl is JUST DO IT as Nike says. So Just Do it!!!!!

I am here if you have any questions or are just scared. That is really a normal feeling.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I think more than anything...I am afraid to fail :( I am 36 and have struggled most of my life.

Most importantly, don't let fear paralyze you. Fear is natural. I had a total anxiety filled breakdown last night. Tonight I'm in Mexicali with my lab work done a day ahead of schedule. Tomorrow is my "eat anything you want!" day and total relaxation, maybe by the beautiful pool that I can look out my window and see!. Then Wednesday, surgery and the first day of the rest of my life...a longer, healthier life. I'm scared, yes, but I'm determined.

Suzanne wasn't lying when she described it here. It's beautiful, it's clean, the people here are so gracious and kind and wonderful and I want to take them home with me when I leave. I had a few tears when I got my labs done, but I have a horrible phobia of needles. The girl that does them (Lucy was her name I think and she's a pretty little thing so if you're a guy you can maybe distract yourself lol) was soooooo gentle and fast about it. Also, not a huge glob of cotton on my hand where I had her take it out, just a little dot bandaid. There is a really pretty "wall Water fountain" as you walk into the hotel and let me tell you, it's beautiful and serene and so clean you could walk around barefoot. Ok don't do that though because it's a really NICE hotel and that might be considered a little uncouth lol

I'm relaxed after my bubble bath and book. The tub is large and is SO comfy for someone like me that loves to lay back and read / sleep in the tub. There is a wonderful cool breeze making the palm trees outside sway and I can hear the leaves rustle. I called my husband and told him all about it here and he was so happy! He, like a lot of Americans had heard horror stories of surgeries gone bad in Mexico. He also worried about our safety. To be honest it's a lot more dangerous where I live, in Vegas than it is here. I told my son and Lynn "This is picture perfect! I never want to leave!" and they're feeling the same way right now.

To everyone that recommended Dr. Aceves, THANK YOU! I wasn't expecting the luxury at the hotel, but it is! Even the hospital is beautiful and clean.

Renee`

I think more than anything...I am afraid to fail :( I am 36 and have struggled most of my life.

Hi Ricky,

I was 63 when I had my WLS. I was successful. I had many more years at failing that you have had. So I would say go for it. Don't give away any more days of your life. You are really young and have a lot of life to still live.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I'm scheduled for surgery on Thursday @ Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, KY. I haven't been nervous until today. The more I think about all of the "rules" regarding the Clear Liquids, then full liquids, mushies, etc., the more nervous I get. I guess that my main concern is with getting enough Protein. I don't so much worry about it when I get to eat "real" food, as I do in the early stages. I've tried so many of the Protein Shots and I have to gag all of them down. It's not so much the taste, as it is the smell. I talked to my dietician about this, but she said that she doesn't notice a difference in the smell. I just hope that I can do this. I don't have a problem with the Protein Drinks (e.g., Adkins, etc), but it's the Isopure or the protein shots from GNC or Wal-Mart that almost push me over the edge. UGH! :blink: Can someone truthfully reassure me that this will get better? Wish me luck. I move to clear liquids tomorrow in preparation for surgery. I'm first on the schedule for Thursday am, so I have to be at the hospital at 5:30, surgery at 7:30. Here's to the skinny me with (hopefully) less medical problems! :D

I did it 2.5 years ago and lost 105 pounds and have kept it off. I am here to help you, answer any questions you might have about WLS—I had the sleeve. You are WORTH the effort it will take. It can happen and your only regret you will have is that you didn’t do it sooner.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Suzanne,

thank you for posting this... I am 2 weeks till surgery and the jitters are getting worse. Some days I am pumped, excited and ready to go and other days I am wondering about the "What if's".

It is a bit disheartening when people say "Oh you are so young, you can do it without surgery" or "You aren't big enough for surgery". They don't know my struggle and other health issues. Your words mean a lot!

You are truly an inspiration.

:cheer2:

Thanks for the info... I am waking up at night thinking about it.. I am afraid that something might happen and i will never see my son again.. etc.

And on the other hand am excited too.. my surgery date is July 27th.. :rolleyes:

Hoping i can aldo do well on my pre op diet.

Thanks for any info given.

Ruby

Suzanne,

thank you for posting this... I am 2 weeks till surgery and the jitters are getting worse. Some days I am pumped, excited and ready to go and other days I am wondering about the "What if's".

It is a bit disheartening when people say "Oh you are so young, you can do it without surgery" or "You aren't big enough for surgery". They don't know my struggle and other health issues. Your words mean a lot!

You are truly an inspiration.

:cheer2:

Hey,

Don't let those people get to you. Until they have lived inside your body, they have NO idea how you feel. Trust your OWN feelings. It is really normal to have these feelings of doubt. On my way to have surgery, I was still having talks with myself about should I do this or should I just go home. It was something that saved my life! It gave me a NEW life and I am healthy and happy life. I believe in paying it forward. So that is why I try to help people and let them know that it is OK to feel all these feeling.

One of these days you will be on here saying WOW why didn't I do this sooner? When I would tell someone that I lost 105 pounds they would say "I never thought you had that much to lose." I was pretty successful at learning how to dress and cover up the fat! LOL. Now it is gone and I love my new body and how good I feel.

NEVER give up, you will be successful too! It doesn't matter what others say--this is ALL about you and NO one else. Don't give your power away to them. Hold your head up high and say thanks for your comments, but this is about me and I NEED to do this.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hugs,

Suzanne

Suz, i'm one week away from surgery and this couldnt have come at a better time! Thanks so much for posting this! Ive been so scared, not about the surgery, but about the after (perception, depression, eating, regaining, etc). I think i'm finally done with the wishy-washy and going to just be secure in my final decision!

Thanks again!

JG

HI,

i think you will do really good. You will morn the loss of large amounts of food just at the first and that is pretty normal. I remember watching someone it a BIG hamburger and thinking to myself. I will NEVER be able to eat like that again. Now I think Oh my god look at all the food they are eating and so fast! I can have a hamburger, but maybe 1/2 of one at the most.

If you have any of those feeling, send me a E-mail. I am more than happy to talk with you. I don't think you will regain it. You will enjoy your new lifestyle change which means smaller amounts of food and you are never hungry. You make good choice. Yes, I can have a cookie or a small piece of cake, but it is always just a small amount. I never feel deprived when it come to food. If you feel you are struggling with food then exercise some more and you can eat more calories.

I am just an E-mail away, so remember you are NEVER alone.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Your post was just what I needed to day. After 1 1/2 years of going through the motions to have my surgery approved and waiting for a day…I just received my surgery date today - July 18th and I have been emotional all day.

I am excited about my new life but I am also nervous about the changes. Will I be an outcast at dinner and will I turn into all skin… I am so scared.

Toyia

I doubt you will be an outcast at dinner. You will be able to eat anything that others are eating, ONLY in SMALL amounts and you will be chewing and chewing, while they inhale their food. They will start to see how healthy you are becoming a will stop watching what you eat. This is pretty normal. The skin thing is so different with people. I don't have much skin hanging. Maybe one of these days I will consider going back to Mexicali and having it taken care of. I just love my new body and being healthy and happy.

Hang in there and remember I am just an E-mail away.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thanks for the perfect timing! I am having surgery on Tuesday, and I am scared to death. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one feeling like this!

Hi,

I am just checking in with you to see how you are doing. Life is going to just keep getting better. Please remember the 1st month after surgery is the hardest month you will do. It will pass and it gets better.

If you have questions during that 1st month please remember I am hear just ask away OK.

Hugs,

Suzanne