Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you scared to have weight loss surgery

Hi Everyone

Are you scared about having WLS? I was too, and I am willing to bet that 99% of all of on this site were too.

We have talked ourselves in and out of going ahead and taking that big step at least 75 to 100 times. We have been convinced that there is something weak or wrong about having weight loss surgery and that is really all wrong—it take a lot of courage to have weight loss surgery.

For so many of us we have a disease and just like any other disease we need some form of treatment. If you needed surgery for something you wouldn’t think twice about going to the hospital and having that surgery because if you didn’t you could die.

Well the same this will happen from be fat, we are going to die faster from being fat than we are from weight loss surgery. I know it is scary and the unknown is what scares us the most.

Never give up on your dreams of losing this weight and being able to keep it off. It will require WORK and EFFORT on your part to be successful—it does not just melt off of you. You will be given the tool (WLS) to achieve this. You are on the right track if you are thinking about it.

I did it 2.5 years ago and lost 105 pounds and have kept it off. I am here to help you, answer any questions you might have about WLS—I had the sleeve. You are WORTH the effort it will take. It can happen and your only regret you will have is that you didn’t do it sooner.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thanks, Mama Sleeve!:D

I am absolutely terrified to the point that it's almost paralyzing

Renee`

I felt the same way when I first booked my surgery. When I finally got to Mexico I almost felt numb but knew that this was what I truly needed. I am here for you if you need any support along the way.

Do you have someone going with you or are you doing this alone?

lynn is going with me. gah...first time I've admitted fear and now stupidly in tears and trying to hide it in front of my family. I'm not afraid of the surgery. I believe in Dr. Aceves and his skill 110%, I'm afraid of how it will affect me afterwards. The pain on waking up and having severe fibro and those are the muscles that are the most affected, the one's they'll be cutting through.

Just so much AL, and thank you. So much going on right now and I'm losing my damn mind over all of it and I'm helpless to do anything but cry over it

Sorry

Renee`

My fear is a leak...I think about it day and night. I have called the nurse and asked her a million questions about the 1 patient that had a leak w my doc. Ugh, it's a huge fear of mine, but I keep praying that everything will go smoothly.

Thanks for the uplifting post..it sure helps :)

lynn is going with me. gah...first time I've admitted fear and now stupidly in tears and trying to hide it in front of my family. I'm not afraid of the surgery. I believe in Dr. Aceves and his skill 110%, I'm afraid of how it will affect me afterwards. The pain on waking up and having severe fibro and those are the muscles that are the most affected, the one's they'll be cutting through.

Just so much AL, and thank you. So much going on right now and I'm losing my damn mind over all of it and I'm helpless to do anything but cry over it

Sorry

Renee`

Hi Renee,

Ok I have to jump in here and tell you--that you will have NO pain. They are excellent at controling your pain. You do not feel druged at all. You just don't have any pain. They send pain meds home with you--which I didn't use at all.

I was up walking around 2 hours after my surgery, and that is something they want you to do. I PROMISE you if I can do this so can you. I was 63 when I did it--and it was a piece of cake.

I was nervous about going, about having the surgery, 2nd guesed myself. Once I arrive there, I was so comfortable and at ease. Then at the hotel that night I started to worry some again. So these are all normal things. It is OK to cry, you are human and scared.

Keep come here and telling us how you feel, we are here for you and your questions, and fears.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thanks, Mama Sleeve!:D

Hey Sweetie,

No problem at all. I love my new name! You are the best, it is going to just keep getting a little easier each day. I will try to wirte more tomorrow to you.

Hugs,

Mama Sleeve!

I felt the same way when I first booked my surgery. When I finally got to Mexico I almost felt numb but knew that this was what I truly needed. I am here for you if you need any support along the way.

Hi,

You are so right when you say that things do get better once you get there. I am happy that you wrote what you wrote. If enough of us just keep posting and telling everyone that it will be ok. Some people need a lot of support and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Hugs

My fear is a leak...I think about it day and night. I have called the nurse and asked her a million questions about the 1 patient that had a leak w my doc. Ugh, it's a huge fear of mine, but I keep praying that everything will go smoothly.

Thanks for the uplifting post..it sure helps :)

Hi,

You would NEVER be allowed to leave if they detected any kind of problem. They would fix it and make sure you are OK. This is a valid thing to talk about, but don't make it your total focal point. They leave a drain tub in you and the morning after your have the surgery they give this blue apple juice to drink--it really tastes good drink it. They would know right away if you had a leak. Because the blue liquid would appear in the drain tube. They take the drain tube out on the 2nd day--I does NOT hurt at all when they take it out.. Please try to think of the more positive things that you are going to get from this weight loss surgery INSTEAD of the negative things.

You have so much to be thankful for. You have picked the very best doctor and staff for your weight loss surgery. You are going to a top of the line hospital that is incrediably clean. They will control your pain ALWAYS and if you have pain tell them, they will give you something right away. Never be afraid to ask for what you need--if you are too warm or too cold tell them. They make every effort to meat all your needs, but if you don't tell them they can't help you.

I promise you that this is truly going to be just fine. Keep asking me questions if you have any. I have been down this road ahead of you and I am happy to help you.

Hugs,

I am considering going to Juarez Mexico through Belite and Dr. Jose Rodriguez. Do you know anything about them? Any information will help. This is a BIG step for me. I will be going to Mexico alone and want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Thanks so much and have a great day. Michelle

Hi,

You would NEVER be allowed to leave if they detected any kind of problem. They would fix it and make sure you are OK. This is a valid thing to talk about, but don't make it your total focal point. They leave a drain tub in you and the morning after your have the surgery they give this blue apple juice to drink--it really tastes good drink it. They would know right away if you had a leak. Because the blue liquid would appear in the drain tube. They take the drain tube out on the 2nd day--I does NOT hurt at all when they take it out.. Please try to think of the more positive things that you are going to get from this weight loss surgery INSTEAD of the negative things.

You have so much to be thankful for. You have picked the very best doctor and staff for your weight loss surgery. You are going to a top of the line hospital that is incrediably clean. They will control your pain ALWAYS and if you have pain tell them, they will give you something right away. Never be afraid to ask for what you need--if you are too warm or too cold tell them. They make every effort to meat all your needs, but if you don't tell them they can't help you.

I promise you that this is truly going to be just fine. Keep asking me questions if you have any. I have been down this road ahead of you and I am happy to help you.

Hugs,

Thank you so much! Your words of encouragment mean so much. I know that this surgery is right for me but when I think about the "what ifs" I start to panic because I have a toddler and I can't imagine not being able to tend to him for so long (leak recovery). Or even worse, not being on this earth for him. I know it's silly but it's so scary at the same time. This thread is great because not only are the words helpful but it's great to know that you aren't alone in your fears :)

thanks for the nice words. I am still on the fence on this surgery. I have a low BMI but am still obese and have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a family history of heart problems and diabetes. I am a self pay and I hate to spend that money on myself but me and my husband have agreed that it is ok to spend it. I am scared to death of complications. There is not a doctor in my town that has the BLIS insurance and I don't want to put my family in financial problems if a complicaton happens. I am not at peace to have the surgery and I am not at peace to not have the surgery. It is driving me crazy going back and forth.

Thanx for starting this thread. I was to have the sleeve December of 2010 and became SO scared, I began to eat uncontrollably and stopped the entire process. I've since put on at least another 15 lbs and the fear of surgery continues to control my decision. I have people tell me that the surgery will "cause me to age", "cause bowel obstructions", "will cause me to constantly vomit", and "won't work 'cause the surgery won't fix my addiction to food". I'm a fairly inteligent person BUT, I've fallen for all of these comments and walked away from something that I think will be best for me. PLEASE offer words of encouragement- I'm seeing my primary physician this week (embarrased to step on the scale :( ) and I'm hoping to discuss beginning the surgical process again.

Thanks for listening! :rolleyes:

Thanx for starting this thread. I was to have the sleeve December of 2010 and became SO scared, I began to eat uncontrollably and stopped the entire process. I've since put on at least another 15 lbs and the fear of surgery continues to control my decision. I have people tell me that the surgery will "cause me to age", "cause bowel obstructions", "will cause me to constantly vomit", and "won't work 'cause the surgery won't fix my addiction to food". I'm a fairly inteligent person BUT, I've fallen for all of these comments and walked away from something that I think will be best for me. PLEASE offer words of encouragement- I'm seeing my primary physician this week (embarrased to step on the scale :( ) and I'm hoping to discuss beginning the surgical process again.

Thanks for listening! :rolleyes:

daydreamerz, who's telling you this? I haven't had my sleeve yet (will on Wednesday) but I am a very risk-averse person and I have done hours and hours and hours of research -- forums, professional literature, research papers, you name it. The things people are telling you DO NOT MAKE SENSE when compared to the facts.

The surgery for the sleeve never touches your bowels so I can't imagine how it could cause a bowel obstruction; that is one potential problem I have never run across before in my research. The main potential issues are a leak (rare) or blood clot (extremely rare). Really, the anesthesia is the most dangerous part of the surgery! That's a very good sign. You aren't afraid of the anesthesia, right? You shouldn't be, because it is extremely controlled. However, the fact that the anesthesia is not your #1 fear is a sign that the fear is not rational. Don't let it rule you... get the facts.

I've come across a couple case studies of leaks (people telling their own stories). As long as your surgeon is professional and does the right type of leak check before you leave the hospital, even a leak will not be a major problem. A couple more days in the hospital, a tiny bit of extra surgery to patch you up, and you will be good as new. These people were annoyed but just fine. When you talk to a surgeon you are considering, ask him for the # of sleeves he's done and the # of leaks. Ask for documentation/proof, not just numbers off the top of his head. Leaks are totally preventable, it's just a question of skill of the surgeon. Example: Mine has done >400 sleeves as a primary surgery (vs before a revision to gastric bypass, of which he's done even more) and has had NO leaks. He's been a gastric surgeon for a long time & is very very professional.

Aside from "surgery mills" (you'll know them when you see them), the # of surgeries a doctor has performed is the BEST indicator of whether you will have a leak.

I have found one case study of a blood clot. The lady had very, very powerful pain, and when she went to the ER (or her surgeon - don't remember which), they caught it and SHE was fine as well. She would have healed much sooner if she'd listened to her body sooner... she described the pain, everybody on the forum told her "go to the ER NOW!," but she delayed (who wants to go to the ER for nothing?). The lesson here is to pay attention to your pain. Most people describe only "annoyance" levels of pain after their surgery, aside from gas, which goes quickly.

I have not heard of ANYONE who had continual vomiting problems after initial recovery.

I have not heard ANYONE claim that the VSG "made them age." Yes, we will probably lose a few clumps of hair, but any dramatic weight loss can cause that. And it will grow back.

Me, if I were you, I'd ask myself: Who is telling me this? And why? Have THEY done their research? Are they REALLY trying to help, or are they undermining me?

Lastly: the sleeve will not cure emotional eating, but you won't be hungry, which will be a huge help. Get some good therapy for your emotional eating. Lots of folks on the WLS forums have strategies & told stories about how they handle theirs, because emotional eating is really common!

Don't let fear lock you into the life you don't like forever. Get the facts, and then sit down and look at what they're telling you.

All that said... trust me, I'm afraid, too. It's surgery! Of course we're afraid. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea.