Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 more days till surgery and feeling numb in the head

So I have 3 more days till my surgery and I'm feeling numb:( I just want to get it over with! Anyone else feel this way?

YES!! One week from today I will be having my surgery. I wish I could just go to sleep until it is time to leave. However, I do have a lot of things to do, maybe take your time cleaning house (you won't feel like it later), preparing some broths or making lists of some stuff to have handy, go to the movies, (no popcorn!! just take your own clear juice in your purse), get some before pics and measurements (if you haven't already). get some books checked out from the library to read when you return home (or pick out some to take with you). Go through your clothes and find some that you know won't be fitting you anytime soon and donate them or take pics of them to sell on ebay, give to friends, consign, etc, or just bury them in your backyard! Have some comfy outfits ready for your return, ones that won't be tight around the waist, get a pedicure, get a haircut, fish out your old rings that don't fit anymore, clean them up and get ready to wear them again soon! Medidate, tell yourself that you are giving yourself a great gift, and that you will be successful. Go visit some friends/family you don't see often, that way when you do see them again, they will notice a big change.

So I have 3 more days till my surgery and I'm feeling numb:( I just want to get it over with! Anyone else feel this way?

I felt exactly the same way. The entire journey seemed surreal to me. People would ask me if I was excited, and I was not. I wanted it, but it was brain numbing to me. I think that we all feel this way to an extent, some of us more than others. I still felt that way as I was getting into my hospital gown in preop. I finally began to "come to" after the surgery. You will too. I am pleased to say that it was not as bad as I anticipated. I am almost 3 wks. out, and I feel fine. Know that you aren't alone, and what you feel is very common. Good luck.

I am having my surgery on the 16th to. I kinda feel the same. I don't know If I am mourning my food or that I I wrapping my head around my surgery or just mentally preparing my self for my new stomach and life.

Thank you all so much your words are so good for me I will take it all in and just get ready for the new life:)

I'm not going in until May 25th so I'm not at that point yet but I probably will get there. I *hope* I get to the numb stage, I'm more flighty normally and so I'll end up having panic attacks instead of a calmness.

Renee`

I think that is completely normal. You start second guessing yourself and doing all the "what ifs" in your head. Just try to stay positive and it will be here and over with before you know it. Hang in there and good luck to you!

I have felt the same way at times...excited then numb. I also swear this pre-op diet is also making my brain feel funny!! Lol! Maybe not enough sugar or I am detoxing too???

Anyway, I get my sleeve on the 24th of May and will be glad to be on the other side. Hang in there! Joan

My surgery is tomorrow...I really thought that I would be more nervous than I am. I feel exactly the same way. your description is great, "mind-numbing" is spot on. It's like this is happening to someone else. Best of luck!

I have definitely got that feeling too. But for me, I think my numb feeling is coming from the pre-op diet. 5 shakes a day every day for 5 days so far, 9 days to go! I am getting sleeved on the 23rd.

My head feels fuzzy, I'm really tired and am now sick of shakes. That is weird because I always liked the taste of them before. I guess too much of anything is not so good. The sweetness makes my mouth feel like it is filled with cotton balls. The only thing that is getting me through this is drinking tons, tons of Water. I've been trying to practice the 30 minutes before/after I eat but the taste of these shakes needs to be washed down!

I am working but can't think straight and I have tons of stuff to do before the surgery so now is not the time! Ugh! I keep telling myself - IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT, IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT!

I told my work in advance to deal with me a bit so hopefully they won't kill me before next week is over with!

As for the surgery, I'm not that nervous - I have made my decision and I am secure in it. I think I will be nervous the night before and the day of, just because I haven't had a major operation before - just more minor stuff. So that will be weird and scary. But I know I have to trust my medical team and will go through with it.

Any advice from anyone on the fuzzy head feeling during pre-op diet?

I have definitely got that feeling too. But for me, I think my numb feeling is coming from the pre-op diet. 5 shakes a day every day for 5 days so far, 9 days to go! I am getting sleeved on the 23rd.

My head feels fuzzy, I'm really tired and am now sick of shakes. That is weird because I always liked the taste of them before. I guess too much of anything is not so good. The sweetness makes my mouth feel like it is filled with cotton balls. The only thing that is getting me through this is drinking tons, tons of Water. I've been trying to practice the 30 minutes before/after I eat but the taste of these shakes needs to be washed down!

I am working but can't think straight and I have tons of stuff to do before the surgery so now is not the time! Ugh! I keep telling myself - IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT, IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT!

I told my work in advance to deal with me a bit so hopefully they won't kill me before next week is over with!

As for the surgery, I'm not that nervous - I have made my decision and I am secure in it. I think I will be nervous the night before and the day of, just because I haven't had a major operation before - just more minor stuff. So that will be weird and scary. But I know I have to trust my medical team and will go through with it.

Any advice from anyone on the fuzzy head feeling during pre-op diet?

Well my friends I got it done yesterday at 1:10pm

I'm sitting in my bed at the hospital and all I have to say is that was crazy!!!!! I'm in a ton of pain but I am so happy it is done and guess what this is really my rebirth!!!!!!!!!

I'll post details when I'm less high

I was never nervous or scared. I felt like it wasn't happening at all. I just sat there calmly and never once felt funny about it. I knew months before my surgery date and I was excited for a few days and then....NOTHING!

I kept asking on here if I was weird!

When they took me into pre-op room, I thought for sure I would get nervous, I did not. when they put me on the table and the anastesehologist came to talk to me, I still was fine, then I woke up and was still o.k.

I think I just spent so much time reading and researching that I was prepared and ready.

I hope you all do the same. You will be fine!

Best of luck to you !

:D

Kelly

I felt exactly the same way. The entire journey seemed surreal to me. People would ask me if I was excited, and I was not. I wanted it, but it was brain numbing to me. I think that we all feel this way to an extent, some of us more than others. I still felt that way as I was getting into my hospital gown in preop. I finally began to "come to" after the surgery. You will too. I am pleased to say that it was not as bad as I anticipated. I am almost 3 wks. out, and I feel fine. Know that you aren't alone, and what you feel is very common. Good luck.

BIG TIME DITTO.

I even said here a couple of times that I was not excited about the whole thing.Overall, it wasn't a popular comment. :) It was necessary, it was what I had to do. And the way I coped was to just stop thinking about it. I went numb. And let me tell you, it worked great for me. When I got to pre-op the person before me had cancelled so they rushed me through like someone was chasing us. I didn't get any pre-op meds to ease the transition to the OR. I think the fact that I was numb saved me.

Everyone copes in different ways. If you are going numb, ride the wave. I completely agree that the surgery itself was not that bad. In fact, if I had not had a second surgery at the same time and wicked post op nausea on day 2, I would go so far as to say it was the easy part.

You really will be fine. Just don't fight your body's efforts to protect you. Pretty soon you'll be on the other side and bored silly with counting Protein and sipping Water.

And that's one more thing of note: I don't miss food the way I thought I would. Granted, I'm shy of 3 weeks sleeved but it's more being bored with what I can have than missing what I can't. And slowly that will all open up again. Just as you will come back as the stress leaves.

Good luck.