Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shift work and carb cravings

I am thinkingI am not the only one that deals with this. I work a brutal rotating shift schedule, 12 hour shifts, alternating between days and nights a total of 14 shifts in 28 days. When I am on nights, I have major carb cravings. I know why, it is all serotonin related. I am just wondering what others do about it. It pretty goes on all night every night. I usually don't give in and do OK. When I am on a regular day schedule, I almost never crave anything. Good thing I only work 7 nights a month. The more I have lost the worse it has gotten.

Almonds Almonds Almonds - I notice that I get my 3pm snack craving still and i stick to almonds - they help - i can only eat a few but they help.

I've been working 3rd Shift for about 10 years now, so I understand how difficult it is to keep a reasonable diet and work 3rd... It just wreaks so much havoc on your body. I keep a Jar of Crunchy Peanut Butter in my locker at work, and if, in the middle of the night I start craving whatever, I'll have a couple teaspoons of peanut butter, and it helps. Peanut Butter taste stays in your mouth for quite a while, so it tends to be satisfying.

What is it with the Peanut Butter? I have a jar in my locker too!

LOL that is so funny! You know, I never liked peanuts, let alone Peanut Butter pre surgery. Seriously, I'd pass it up even if I were starving. Anyhow, post surgery I absolutely LOVE peanuts and peanut butter, esp. the crunchy type.

I don't know but this seems to become some kind of weird staple for sleevers... :) As for almonds, pre sleeve I could eat these like there is no tomorrow. Now though I just feel kinda sick when I eat them so I don't anymore.

To answer the question, the only thing I can suggest is analyze your daily routine and fit in healthy options when you can. For example, what time do you wake up? What is the first thing you do? Well, make that second thing you do to drink a Protein shake (just an example, I don't even know if you like Protein shakes...) Make the 3rd thing you do a walk around your neighborhood. Make the fourth thing you do a good healthy snack... etc...

Make your workday fit in with other habits. It will take time but I think you'll be able to do it. Write it down if you have to and post it up somewhere you will likely see it all the time. Good luck!