Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please all that can, answer this question for me

I was nauseous but not in pain! They just kept giving me nauseous meds and I was fine! I never got sick or even came close! (still to this day!! YAY!)

I had a really bad reaction to the anesthesia -- so, I know that I'm in the minority. I was really sick, I was really dehydrated, had severe headaches, body aches, etc. BUT it was from the anesthesia. After about 3 days I felt fine. It was NOT an easy recovery for me. My other surgeries had been fine (have had 2 others), but for some reason, this time was hard, really hard. But I know my experience was in the minority.

I had nausea and for the first 2 days nothing stayed down. They tried two different meds but it did not stop until day three. I was still on an iv so there was no risk of dehydration. The nausea feeling last until day six and then it was gone. On the upside I had no pain at all. No gas pains -just a little soreness in my abdomen. I could walk just as normally as I did pre surgery. I slept on my side from the first night. Good luck to you!

there is a patch they can put behind your ear before surgery that reduces your nausea. i had it and it worked okay. I had some reaction to the heparin shots they gave me and they made me dry heave. outside of that, it wasnt that horrible. i was up and walking soon after. the gas pain was my only complaint. i can honestly say that all in all...i would make the same choice again if i knew then what i know now. it was all worth it. :D

that night and the following morning, I had some dry heaving and spitting up, nothing was in my stomach.

The next day I started liquids and the nausea subsided for the most part.

I vomited and dry heaved right when I woke from surgery for maybe an hour or so. Not fun after having 80% of your stomach cut out but there was no damage done and it did go away. I had alot of that gas pain that took a couple weeks to get completely out of my body. By the 3rd day I was great and shopping on Revolution avenue. Everyone is different. You may NO nausea whatsoever. goodl uck!

I was ok...mild nausea then I puked globs of blood up twice. They said no biggy even though it freaked me out!! Overall though...nausea was not bad.

Had my surgery Monday and did fine on the ice chips. I made sure they continued the zofran in my IV for the nausea. Tuesday was a completely different story. I dry heaved once that morning (after some water) and then again several times in the afternoon after the liquid Lortab. I will NOT take that stuff again.

I was not nauseous or in pain . The day after surgery, I was walking around outside of the hospital all day long. I was so bored in my room.

No nausea at all for me but I also don't vomit easily. I only vomited once during my pregnancy and I just find that very little upsets my stomach. I had a large hiatal hernia repair and that area was sore after surgery but mostly it wasn't bad at all. The first couple of days I felt bloated (probably from the gas) and had trouble getting in a comfortable position to sleep. I took pain meds only for a couple of day s and then switched to Tylenol.

It is all SO worth it though! :D I would do it again in a second! Good luck!!

Hi Michelle, I did get very nauseous after this surgery. I even vomitted and had some dried blood in it. Sorry to be so graphic but it is what it is. The awful thing about it was that I've always been deathly afraid of vomiting. But... it happened, and I lived through it. ;) I think I was so drugged up it really didn't seem that terrible to me. Don't get me wrong I kinda freaked out and yelled at the nurse for help, but he said I was OK and it was normal. Then he gave me some more meds and I was out like a light for the rest of the day into the next... lol!!! :lol:

This is also the first surgery I've had that made me feel like that. All my others I didn't have nausea issues, so I know it was this particular one.

Don't worry though, as much as I hate being nauseous and vomiting I'd do it again in a heartbeat - it really was worth EVEN THAT!!

Good luck, and I do hope you are lucky enough to not get it. :)

Wow everyone sounding off in this one.. I had nausea but had meds for it. Also wasn't in pain because had pain pump. You will do fine just don't worry too much about it. I promise they will not let your suffer.

yeah, I have a prescription for the patch behind the ear - Heres hoping my fears on unwarranted

there is a patch they can put behind your ear before surgery that reduces your nausea. i had it and it worked okay. I had some reaction to the heparin shots they gave me and they made me dry heave. outside of that, it wasnt that horrible. i was up and walking soon after. the gas pain was my only complaint. i can honestly say that all in all...i would make the same choice again if i knew then what i know now. it was all worth it. :D

I was nauseous with every surgery I have ever had - EXCEPT THE SLEEVE! Weird, but my doctor used a pain killer and anti-nausea meds that really made me so comfortable.

It seems to differ from person to person. Be prepared for anything! If you are getting sick, the doctor should help you control it. Do not me shy bout asking for something to control it - they won't know unless you tell them.

No nausea day of surgery...slept all day thanks to a dilaudid pain pump. Everytime you push the button you go to dreamland. However, first thing next morning they take it away and get you up to go for the stomach xrays in which they gave me a really nasty thick dye to drink and it induced immediate vomiting. I was sick that entire day after that and as a result had to stay an extra night in the hospital. However the next day the nausea subsided and I went home. I would expect to have some bit of nausea after this surgery b/c it is very common. My doctor prescribed a wonder drug for nausea called Emend which is usually given to chemotherapy pt's. It cut the nausea right out. Good luck.