Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice about incisions

I left the hospital without anyone telling me what to do about the laproscopic incisions dotting my tummy, it's been three days since I got home from TJ and I've only been doing sponge baths and avoiding getting the bandages wet. I've read on other forums to wait till they fall off, is this correct? I'm getting itchy under them and wonder if they should be doctored with more antiseptic and new bandages.

And WOO-HOO! It's been almost a week and I'm down 12 lbs! I actually weigh less than my husband for the first time in 7 years!:P

If they're still draining, then yes you should clean them and replace the bandages. If there's no drainage and they're dry and clotted, then you can just clean them and keep them uncovered. I was able to shower in the hospital 2 days after I had surgery in TJ so I'm not sure why you would only be able to sponge bathe right now. You should have been given aftercare instructions from your coordinator at the very least.

These are the indications I give my patients...

1. Wash twice daily with neutral soap and Water...no unapproved creams, ointments, home remedies etc!

2. Cover the incisions with a gauze and secure it with tape.

3. If it itches it is normal. This means that scar tissue is forming.

4. Warning signs:

• Purulent (pus) discharge that is white-yellow-green, etc
  • Excessive bleeding that will not stop with pressure (applied by yourself)
  • Bright redness around the incision
  • Suture's 'pop out'
  • High grade fever (over 39'C or over 100'F)
  • To prevent all of this follow the cleaning instructions and take your medications as indicated! DO NOT take +/- 1 or 2 hrs

4. If none of this happens you are in the clear.

5. If for some reason your doctors left a penrose drain, contact me and I can give you further pointers.

Let me know if you have other questions...I will be happy to help out.

Best,

Dr. JSA

If they're still draining, then yes you should clean them and replace the bandages. If there's no drainage and they're dry and clotted, then you can just clean them and keep them uncovered. I was able to shower in the hospital 2 days after I had surgery in TJ so I'm not sure why you would only be able to sponge bathe right now. You should have been given aftercare instructions from your coordinator at the very least.

I did shower at the hospital, but was bundled up again with bandages. Nobody told me what to do with them after I got home...I never saw my coordinator at all the last day, probably because it was a Sunday.

These are the indications I give my patients...

1. Wash twice daily with neutral soap and Water...no unapproved creams, ointments, home remedies etc!

2. Cover the incisions with a gauze and secure it with tape.

3. If it itches it is normal. This means that scar tissue is forming.

4. Warning signs:

• Purulent (pus) discharge that is white-yellow-green, etc
  • Excessive bleeding that will not stop with pressure (applied by yourself)
  • Bright redness around the incision
  • Suture's 'pop out'
  • High grade fever (over 39'C or over 100'F)
  • To prevent all of this follow the cleaning instructions and take your medications as indicated! DO NOT take +/- 1 or 2 hrs

4. If none of this happens you are in the clear.

5. If for some reason your doctors left a penrose drain, contact me and I can give you further pointers.

Let me know if you have other questions...I will be happy to help out.

Best,

Dr. JSA

THANK YOU so much. It was wonderful of you to take the time to let me know. Much appreciated.

CONGRATS on your surgery and weight loss!

Thank you Diva! :D I admit to having fantasies about pizza and Taco Bell, but I'm gonna stay strong...jello and cream of wheat, here I come!

We're happy to announce the launch of www.SleevePlicationTalk.com ! A new community for pre or post Gastric Sleeve Plication surgery support