Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Band Crew!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I'll be joining you as an August Bandster on the 30th. I start a week of pre-op diet of Opti-fast on Wed the 23rd. Why do some people have two weeks and others only one week of the pre-surgery diet?:mad: I know I'll do ok , but NOT looking forward to it.:mad: My name is Lisa. I see there is another Lisa here as well. I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and so glad it's here. Some things I didn't know about, like having gas, I dont't like the sounds of that. Does gas-x work? I have diabetes and use insulin along with other medication. If any one out there has had similar health issues I would like to hear from you. Well here goes my first post hope it goes ok. You are my inspiration!!!! :D

Hello all, I just wanted to post one more time before I join bandland! I am soooo nervous and its making me nausous already, is that bad??? I can't believe I survived the 12 days of full liquids and the 2 days of clear, YAY ME!! But now comes the even harder part......

I'll check in tomorrow night if I feel up to it otherwise I'll post on Wed. Please keep me in your prayers! Thanks for all the support over the last 2 weeks you guys are awesome! :)

Okay, I am 7 days out and have felt wonderful up until tonight. I have the worse case of hiccups that I can recall! They hurt like he** and nothing is stopping them (water, holding my breath, etc.). I know the PBing can hurt the band, but what about hiccups??? Any suggestions on getting them to stop?

Yay Jamie!!! Welcome to the party!

Welcome to the crew Lisa. The Gas X didn't do much for me honestly. I know it helps others though. I'd just suffer through it during the day and at night for the first 3 nights home i took my liquid loratab (vicodin..whatever) and it'd put me to sleep pretty good. I only had gas for about 3 days though.

Good luck Jamie and welcome Lisa!!! Lisa, everyone's pre-op diet has been different. Some were more strict, some (like me) did not have one. It all depends on the doctor.

OMG I had hiccups last night too...and it was soooo painful!!! What's up with that??

My doctor gave me a prescription for Prevacid for gas. It's that dissolvable kind and seems to work pretty well. I occasionally get a gas pain and basically take a deep exhale to work through it.

I'm so curious to see what foods I'm going to be able to handle. You would think a really moist tuna would be okay. I guess this will be trial and error for us until we all get a handle on our "new" systems.

I have a really weird question. Today has been one week post op for me. For some reason, my teeth hurt. My husband thinks it might just be from not chewing, I didn't think that made sense. Anyone else's teeth feel sore the first week after surgery? (Maybe it's not related at all, I don't know)

OMG Libra..my teeth hurt too!! I hadnt said anything and didtn see anything on the boards about it. Its like my back teeth. Nothing crazy but def feel a bit sore!

Anyone else want to chime in? I do take my Vitamins and am getting a lot of protien...

Hi everyone,

I'll be joining you as an August Bandster on the 30th. I start a week of pre-op diet of Opti-fast on Wed the 23rd. Why do some people have two weeks and others only one week of the pre-surgery diet?:) I know I'll do ok , but NOT looking forward to it.:eek: My name is Lisa. I see there is another Lisa here as well. I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and so glad it's here. Some things I didn't know about, like having gas, I dont't like the sounds of that. Does gas-x work? I have diabetes and use insulin along with other medication. If any one out there has had similar health issues I would like to hear from you. Well here goes my first post hope it goes ok. You are my inspiration!!!! :o

From one Lisa to another, welcome! :clap2:

It's interesting to me to read here and find how different the pre and post-op instructions are surgeon to surgeon.

I'm 2 weeks past my surgery, have lost 21 pounds (YES!!!), but all of a sudden my port is hurting. I can feel a hard lump just below my longest incision, and it really does cause some significant discomfort. What's that about? Will it last?

I'm now moving from liquids to pureed foods, and I'm wondering whether there's any link.

Also, although the scale says I've lost 21 pounds, I'm not feeling it in my clothes. How can this be?

Last night while laying on my right side (half on my side, half on my tummy), I could feel a pain under my lower left rib cage when I inhaled and exhaled. If I rolled over, sat up, walked, etc. the pain went away. Anyone else having this?:)

Welcome Lisa and good luck Jamie! :)

For me, Gas-x did nothing, but the Maximum Strength Rolaids chewables worked really well. Just make sure you use the ones that say they treat gas and bloating on the front, not just heartburn.

Losin' it, I'd bet it was gas pain. Try heat next time. I have a flannel heating pad filled with rice that I throw in the microwave for a couple minutes. The combo of the heat and weight of the rice really help. I've been sleeping with it all week!

My port site (and below it) did not become sore until about 6 days out. It is not really sore anymore (day 12 now), I can feel it under the skin which feels really weird. Sometimes I feel like I have a stitch in two of my incisions when I twist a certain way but that is just healing I guess. Is anyone using mederma or any other scar minimizer? I don't know why I bother, I had an Open RNY but I am starting to feel like Edward Scissorhands.

I am so glad that we have this thread for August banders!! I have the hiccups all the time--and it hurts!! Not really sure why?? What all can you all eat on the mushies stage?? Right now I can only have mashed potatoes and eggs. It's getting very boring--need someth new!!

Hey Jamie! Today is your day. Hope all went well and that you're feeling good soon. Mine is tomorrow, and I'm feeling the nerves! I have that "nesting" instinct going on like when I was pregnant! I'm cleaning everything in sight which I guess is better than stress eating all day! Good luck to all who are being banded in these last days of August. I'm anxious to see how many of us are in the August group. It's so great to have the support of you all.

Erin

Banded 8/23/06

Bellingham, WA Dr. Landerholm

Start: 274 lbs.

My daughter came home from school one day I saw that I had the hiccups-they had been driving my crazy! She simply said my teacher says to me "Try and do it again!" when I have the the hiccups in class and it stops them. Ofcourse I thought...Yeah right! but my daughter said it to me and it worked! Evidentaly, if you TRY and hiccup (or TRY to make it happen again) you can't. Ive done it by myself while driving in the car and it worked again too! I know it sounds to easy and something a 10 year old would say-but if you want to give it a try what have you got to lose?! Let me know if it works for anyone. best wishes chrissie