Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Needed & Welcomed

Went to surgeon last week for consultation for Gastric Bypass. I have been wanting this for about 8 years. Had to wait due to insurance companies. Anyway, it was highly recommended that I get the Sleeve instead. Ok................What? Never saw this coming. I have some serious hernia's to contend with that the doctor feels will, in the end be easier for me to deal with if I have the sleeve. He said we could go in with the premise of doing the gastric bypass, but truly feels based on what he see's with the hernia's that he will have to do the sleeve.

The idea of having the sleeve scares me so much. Why would I want to remove part of a healthy organ. I liked the idea of the bypass as nothing would actually be removed.

I am so confused as to what to do. I am now halted in the whole process because of this.

I guess my question to all of you would be, has anyone else had this happen to them. You know, going in wanting the bypass and getting the sleeve instead? And if so, how was it the you where able to process the information to get to the point of being ok to have the sleeve done.

I would appreciate any feedback that you can provide. Thanks.

Went to surgeon last week for consultation for Gastric Bypass. I have been wanting this for about 8 years. Had to wait due to insurance companies. Anyway, it was highly recommended that I get the Sleeve instead. Ok................What? Never saw this coming. I have some serious hernia's to contend with that the doctor feels will, in the end be easier for me to deal with if I have the sleeve. He said we could go in with the premise of doing the gastric bypass, but truly feels based on what he see's with the hernia's that he will have to do the sleeve.

The idea of having the sleeve scares me so much. Why would I want to remove part of a healthy organ. I liked the idea of the bypass as nothing would actually be removed.

I am so confused as to what to do. I am now halted in the whole process because of this.

I guess my question to all of you would be, has anyone else had this happen to them. You know, going in wanting the bypass and getting the sleeve instead? And if so, how was it the you where able to process the information to get to the point of being ok to have the sleeve done.

I would appreciate any feedback that you can provide. Thanks.

When I went in to explore weight loss surgery, I was thinking RNY. I had looked into it a bit, and knew it seemed preferable to the band. When I went in for my Surgeon visit, he said he could recommend the sleeve or the RNY. What? So I went home, luckily found this site, and read and read and read. I was sooo happy that the Doc mentioned the sleeve, and I had a chance to get it done. Once I looked into the details, the sleeve just seemed miles ahead of the RNY (for me anyway). My stomach might have been healthy, but it was also killing me! It seems more natural than the RNY to me... the bypass part and the no pylorus just seemed creepy to me. food passes through and out of my stomach just like before, except I can't fit as much in. Its that simple. I don't miss it a bit. In fact, I feel so fortunate! Keep reading here, there are lots of posts discussing RNY vs Sleeve....

I too was bothered by the rerouting of the intestines with the malabsortion, and I much prefer having the entrance into and exit from the stomach stay the same. I was concerned about that whole part of your stomach being there but not being accessible by scope. The lack of dumping is also appealing. Once I learned more and more about the sleeve it seemed by far the best choice.

I went into this journey wanting the LapBand. Thank goodness I found out about the sleeve instead! The RNY never appealed to me due to the diet restriction on fat and sugar (because of dumping) and it sounded so much more evasive having your digestive system re-routed. With the sleeve you can still eat anything, just not as much. Now at over a year post op, it's so normal to me that I forget I had my stomach reduced at all. With RNY, you can regain weight if the stomach pouch stretches but the sleeve stomach can't be stretched. RNY is the perfect choice for many many people, but you may want to really research the sleeve before making your choice.

I went into this journey wanting the LapBand. Thank goodness I found out about the sleeve instead! The RNY never appealed to me due to the diet restriction on fat and sugar (because of dumping) and it sounded so much more evasive having your digestive system re-routed. With the sleeve you can still eat anything, just not as much. Now at over a year post op, it's so normal to me that I forget I had my stomach reduced at all. With RNY, you can regain weight if the stomach pouch stretches but the sleeve stomach can't be stretched. RNY is the perfect choice for many many people, but you may want to really research the sleeve before making your choice.

Hi! You make alot of good points, but my doctor told me that you can stretch the sleeve. All of my research online also states that you can stretch it out again if you overeat or eat continuously.

Well lets see why you would want to do a sleeve vs RNY:

1. Removing part of your stomach will greatly reduce the hormone Grehlin which is responsible for hunger signals. Less ghrelin = less hunger. Don't ya think loosing weight would be easier without being starving all the time?

2. The sleeve is a much simplier surgery than RNY. No re-routing of intestines, no blind stomach that can get ulcers and STILL makes ghrelin.

3. The sleeve enables you to take a variety of medications that would be off limits with RNY.

4. You can eat pretty much ANYTHING with the sleeve. You just need to manage it as a tool. Dense Proteins first at every meal. Watch your liquids and "soft"calories. This is not possible with RNY.

5. RNY loses its malabsorption after about 2-3 years. After this you still need to deal with malabsorption of Vitamins for life - but your body adapts to absorb calories again.

6. You likely will not need the level of supplementation with the sleeve as you do with RNY.

A lot of surgeons are starting to "see the light" and recommend the sleeve to patients who would have gotten a band or RNY before. It is essentially as effective as RNY and much more effective than a band and fewer side effects than either. Do your research and you will see the same thing.

Did I miss anything ladies?

Hi! You make alot of good points, but my doctor told me that you can stretch the sleeve. All of my research online also states that you can stretch it out again if you overeat or eat continuously.

It is possible to stretch your sleeve if you "over eat". However - it will never stretch back to your old stomach size again. The part that is left is thicker and less flexible then the "pouch" part that is removed.

The way to avoid this and keep your restriction is two fold.

1. UNDER EAT your sleeve. Don't stuff yourself. Don't eat until it hurts. Don't eat until you are FULL. Eat what is comfortable for your sleeve. If it is 3oz, then eat 3 oz. Don't push the limits every day. Once you know your limit stick to it. Let your sleeve be a tool that is there for a restrictive reminder when you do try to overeat.

2. "Cap" your pyloric valve at each meal. This is accomplished by eating your denser Proteins first so that the softer food has no choice but to pile on top and wait while everything gets digested. Fluids and soft foods can through the valve very quick can lead to going way over your calories.

So yes you can over eat and stretch it....if you are careless. Don't be careless....you get the surgery exactly for that restriction. Don't keep testing it and seeing how far you can push it.

I too, went in wanting the band. My surgeon said NO WAY! He said in just a short time, it would be in my throat!

I NEVER wanted to have a bypass. That thought never entered my mind. I never even thought of having WLS when that was the only option. The thought of having my intestines re-routed does not sound appealing to me at all.

When my dr. suggested the sleeve, I had not heard of it. He told me to do some research and let him know what I thought. He explained it all to me and told me because I take meds that I will have to take for the rest of my life, this was the "best" option for me and would allow me to do so. My guts would not be re-routed and I would not have dumping syndrome. I would only have a small stomach and that is it.

I am so glad that he introduced me to the sleeve!!! I have not stopped reading about the surgery since I met with him back in November.

I read and read and read. My surgery is May 9th. I know I have made the BEST decision and that I will be happy with it.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose!

Kelly :D

I'm almost 2 years out, and I can tell you that my sleeve has not stretched that much, and I've been drinking soda for over a year without any ill effects on my weight loss.

Also, there is not enough tissue left behind to stretch the stomach back out like there is with the stretchy pouch and stoma. You can easily stretch your pouch and stoma (the opening from the stomach to intestines)

Dogg pretty much put out there my reasonings for choosing sleeve over RNY for my revision from the band.

If you are on obesityhelp.com, you should check out the revision forum to see just how many RNY patients are seeking revisions from RNY to ERNY or DS because of pouch/stoma issues and major regain. And, now there are 2 (5 years out) RNY patients that are converting to the sleeve because of reactive hypoglycemia and they have to get rid of the bypass.

You guys are good! Pretty soon the medical advice will be futile...but I will 'chime' in a little. Based on the articles I have come across in medical journals (New England Journal of Medicine and American Diabetes Assoc), and from my own experience, I advise many patients to go with the VSG. Many of the key points have been addressed, but I also want to emphasize that the staples we use are extremely safe! On the patients we have operated on, we have seen no post-op bleeding whatsoever. In contrast, we have seen some post-op bleeding and malabsorption syndromes with RNY.

I know many people criticize the VSG as a 'mutilation' surgery, but as some have already pointed out, the histoanatomy (composition/form) of the stomach allow it to become extremely elastic. As a result, in theory, the stomach can go back to its normal size. With the RNY we are actually 'rerouting' something in the body that was not meant to be in that form.

In short: Depending on the patient history, I mostly advise the VSG over the RNY to my patients. Talk to your doctor so that he/she points out your own personal pro's and con's for each surgery.

I hope I answered some of your questions...

Dr. JSA

Kelsey, darling..... the same darned thing happened to m. I went for it, and couldn't be happier.

How did you get over the fact that you were not going to get the surgery you wanted but instead got the sleeve? I have been thinking about the bypass for 8 years. (long time, I know). I really haven't see much on the sleeve. This site at least seems to provide a way of talking with others one on one so to speak.

How long did you wait to before deciding to have the sleeve?

You guys are good! Pretty soon the medical advice will be futile...but I will 'chime' in a little. Based on the articles I have come across in medical journals (New England Journal of Medicine and American Diabetes Assoc), and from my own experience, I advise many patients to go with the VSG. Many of the key points have been addressed, but I also want to emphasize that the staples we use are extremely safe! On the patients we have operated on, we have seen no post-op bleeding whatsoever. In contrast, we have seen some post-op bleeding and malabsorption syndromes with RNY.

I know many people criticize the VSG as a 'mutilation' surgery, but as some have already pointed out, the histoanatomy (composition/form) of the stomach allow it to become extremely elastic. As a result, in theory, the stomach can go back to its normal size. With the RNY we are actually 'rerouting' something in the body that was not meant to be in that form.

In short: Depending on the patient history, I mostly advise the VSG over the RNY to my patients. Talk to your doctor so that he/she points out your own personal pro's and con's for each surgery.

I hope I answered some of your questions...

Dr. JSA

I want to thank all of you who replied. You have all given me more information to consider. Still haven't made a decision. I just wish there was more data on the sleeve as there is with the gastric bypass.

On top of that, and I know this is going to sound crazy, but I was looking forward to the dumping syndrome. No I don't like pain, I just want my body to help me say no to all the crap I keep eating. I don't mean to eat all the carbs and sugars, but it's like an addiction. Does this make sense to anyone other than me?

Kelsey