Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removed!!!...Sleeve Approved...but postponed!

So much has happened since my post. I had my band removed on April 13th. All of the pain I was having is just GONE!!!

The day before surgery, my surgeon called to tell me that I was going to hopefully have surgery the next day as long as insurance approved. So on the morning of surgery, I headed to the hospital and while enroute I got the call from the insurance company that I had hoped for. I was approved to have my band removed and the sleeve done! I was dumbfounded and speechless. As my insurance was notified just two days prior. I arrived at the hospital and spoke with my surgeon. She said as long as there was not a ton of damage from my band she would do both surgeries. But everything hinged on the fact that the band needed to not cause to many issues. I agreed with the surgeon and told her I would rather be safe than sorry! So I went into surgery not knowing what I was going to end up with when I woke up.

When I woke up, my Mom told me that the surgeon was only able to remove my band. My band had left an extreme amount of swelling and she felt it would be safer to wait so that the stitches for my sleeve could be placed exactly where she wanted them to go. I have to admit I was disappointed by not waking up to my sleeved stomach, but I also know that the relief I felt from the band be gone was amazing! No more pain!!! The only pain I had was surgical pain. I went to the surgeon for a follow up this week. She said everything is looking good. I go back on May 3rd for another Upper GI to determine if the swelling has decreased enough for her to perform my sleeve. So here is hoping that all goes well on May 3rd.

I am suppose to go to the Czech Republic and Scotland in June and I am hoping that surgery will be able to work around this trip. I know this sounds crazy, but I am torn between going over seas first and then doing my sleeve when I come home. Any thoughts?

Nichole

So here is hoping that all goes well on May 3rd.

I am suppose to go to the Czech Republic and Scotland in June and I am hoping that surgery will be able to work around this trip. I know this sounds crazy, but I am torn between going over seas first and then doing my sleeve when I come home. Any thoughts?

Nichole

I personally would take the trip and then have the surgery. If you still have not heard when your surgery will be in May and you are leaving in June you would need some recovery time. Plus toting around protien powders to make sure you get in your Protein in the beginning might be a pain in the tushy. Go have the trip and then come back and be ready for the surgery. Then you will know that you have had an good amount of healing time for your stomach, and you can start your journey in the comfort of your own home.

You will get there even if it is a couple of weeks later. I also think what if you are travelling and you have a problem how would you deal with the overseas doctors? Hope this helps.

When I had the band removed, I woke up after being under and breathed a sigh of relief! I felt GREAT! I think you should definely wait and and go to your trip, enjoy yourself, while allowing your body to heal. I think the longer the better...

The sleeve recovery is much more involved than the band. The transition to food is a lot slower and the pain after surgery is rough the first few days... gets better every day, though.

You are going to love the sleeve. The results are amazing and you live a normal life!! Just eat less...that's about it :)

I totally understand because my band caused me constant pain. I was so happy to wake up with that thing out of my body too. I am so happy you are getting your sleeve. The sleeve has worked amazingly well for me. I would wait until after your trip to be sleeved. It took me about a month before I felt completely "normal" again. I wanted to sleep lots and eating is tricky with the post-op diet. So happy for you! Keep us posted friend! :)

I would place your travels on hold until you get your WLS issues under control. Think about all you have went through to this point with plans and approvals to have this revision done--I know if you don't get your sleeve done on the date dr wants to do it, you may just kick yourself hard for not following through with it. Reschedule your travels later when you are feeling better post op; think of it as a special reward for the good work you will have done in losing your weight. My thinking is you won't want to forego your opportunity for getting your sleeve. Ronda

So much has happened since my post. I had my band removed on April 13th. All of the pain I was having is just GONE!!!

The day before surgery, my surgeon called to tell me that I was going to hopefully have surgery the next day as long as insurance approved. So on the morning of surgery, I headed to the hospital and while enroute I got the call from the insurance company that I had hoped for. I was approved to have my band removed and the sleeve done! I was dumbfounded and speechless. As my insurance was notified just two days prior. I arrived at the hospital and spoke with my surgeon. She said as long as there was not a ton of damage from my band she would do both surgeries. But everything hinged on the fact that the band needed to not cause to many issues. I agreed with the surgeon and told her I would rather be safe than sorry! So I went into surgery not knowing what I was going to end up with when I woke up.

When I woke up, my Mom told me that the surgeon was only able to remove my band. My band had left an extreme amount of swelling and she felt it would be safer to wait so that the stitches for my sleeve could be placed exactly where she wanted them to go. I have to admit I was disappointed by not waking up to my sleeved stomach, but I also know that the relief I felt from the band be gone was amazing! No more pain!!! The only pain I had was surgical pain. I went to the surgeon for a follow up this week. She said everything is looking good. I go back on May 3rd for another Upper GI to determine if the swelling has decreased enough for her to perform my sleeve. So here is hoping that all goes well on May 3rd.

Nichole

congratulations!!! i think all of us know the relief from waking up without that stupid band.

my opinion about the travel: go on your trip first!!! Enjoy it, eat what you want, have an incredible time and then get your surgery. I am 7 weeks out and I would feel weird about any international travel right now. My evergy levels are not 100% and I would have some anxiety worrying about finding food and eating at the right times. international travel can really zap your body.

Lara

Is that normal? My surgery is next Tuesday, May 3, and I have never even considered the possibility of not being able to have both things done in the same surgery. I have Sleeve Group tomorrow night and will be asking that question for sure! I guess I better give my doc a call!

Barb

Nichole

I'm not sure if it is normal or not. I know that my surgeon said that the swelling was just too much for it to be safe. She said that by waiting a few weeks for all of the swelling to go down, my chances of a leak would be greatly reduced and she would be able to put the staple cartridge exactly where she wanted to and not have to alter it at all.

Just in case anyone is wondering my band was unfilled at the beginning of February of this year. I would definitely talk to the doc about it. It is much easier to wake up knowing what the possibilities are than to be surprised. Good luck on your surgery. I'm sure everything will be great!

Nichole

One week post op for the sleeve here and I would tell you emphatically to GO ON YOUR TRIP. The recovery time is a little longer than people led me to believe and I would hate for this trip of a lifetime to be ruined for you because of nausea and gas pain.

I went in to have them both done at the same time and woke up with NO SLEEVE!!! I was highly upset as my doctor did not come in the first day for HOURS to explain why. I waited 2 months and got the sleeve. Good Luck!!

Thanks Hip,

I go to see my surgeon on Tuesday to find out if the swelling has gone down. I am hoping it is down as I want to schedule my sleeve. I'll update on Tuesday when I find out what is going on.

Nichole

UPDATE

So I went to the surgeon yesterday. All of the swelling from the band is gone! I have scheduled my sleeve for June 8th. My trip overseas was postponed because of work stuff. So I will be going overseas in September.

I'm just excited to be getting my sleeve, but yet weird enough I am also a little nervous about whether this WLS give me the results that I want.

How do you reconcile that the second WLS is going to work when the first one didn't?

Guess I'm really just nervous...