Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

have revision from the band.

I had my band placed 09/2008 and had initial weight loss, but then wammo!! had a slip, an unfill, regained all I had lost +10 more, started having re-fills and have never lost any more weight or ever found the "sweet spot"! I currently do have Fluid in my band and now am too tight! This was my "last ditch" effort attempt with this band, i.e. trying yet another fill. I can't seem to eat solid foods! Maybe every 2-3 days, I can tolerate a few bits of chicken breast...maybe, if my band can keep it down that is! Anyway, I'm done! I have had a miserable 3 yrs with this band! I think the only thing it has caused me, other than severe aggravation, is a very poor diet! Only crap foods seem to go down without pain! I can't eat veggies or fruits and most meats! It has just not worked for me....AT ALL!

Anyway, My surgeon says it is time to revise. She initially said to RNY, but I speak with her again on the 28th of this month and she is now performing VSG, so I will be discussing this with her. I am still just not comfortable with the whole re-arranging your bowel! I don't know why I'm soooo afraid of this, but I am. I also am just as afraid of staying 100-110 pounds overweight for the rest of my life too I might add! I also have some feelings of failing with WLS and scarred feelings of "what if another WLS fails".... probably all the normal fears everyone has going through a revision.

I wish I knew the right answers and automatically knew the right surgery for me. I'm so afraid of picking the wrong surgery out of fear and then it not working! I know my ins. is soon changing to include a "once in a lifetime" WLS per person... so this revision is probably my last ins. covered surgery chance! My hubby, God bless him, said to me last night... "is this surgery new? and considered expiremental? and you might not lose the weight??" And I don't know how to answer that!

I am currently 246 pounds at 5'6" tall. I am turning 40 yrs old this summer. Can I lose my weight with VSG? My bariatric program director had RNY and refers to it as the "gold standard", actually so does my PCP. Are they right? Is VSG too new and not tested/proven?

I did lose iniitally with my band, until it slipped, but band life is not something I could ever tolerate for the rest of my life. The whole stoma thing just is a miserable way to go! I really just wanted some help with my portions and I wanted the ability to be able to decide on my food choices! I never expected to have such a limited diet with the band! I know there are going to be times, i.e. birthday parties or "special occasions", where I might eat something sweet. That's life. I just wanted that "choice". I also know I need to make a lifestyle change and have recently started attending some therapy groups with other women trying to lose weight and make better food choices. I feel like I have in place things to help enpower me on this weight loss journey! I just now have to chose what "tool" surgically to utilize.... and it is a tough, tough decision. I don't want another failure! It's my biggest fear!

Please any insight / advice would be sooooo appreciated!

Personally, I think RNY carries far too many long term complications, and far too many patients are seeking revisions because of 1) complications with pouch/stoma 2) massive regain for it to be considered the gold standard for much longer.

I refused to have RNY, and fought for VSG as my revision. Of course, I'm biased, but my results do not lie either nor do the 1000s of others that have revised to VSG from the band.

This is my standard reply when people ask me, or pose the question of why VSG and not RNY. Just some food for thought, and my personal reasons on why I went with VSG over bypass.

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision from the band. You can also check out the revision, failure, and food issue forums on here to get an idea of some long term RNY patients. For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

The sleeve has been performed as part of the DS for 20 years, and as a first stage for patients over 500-600lbs as the first step to help achieve weight loss to make bypass or DS safer. They started doing it as a stand alone procedure almost 10 years ago when they noticed some patients didn't need the 2nd surgery to achieve their weight loss goals. The procedure still not standardized because there are variations in technique, but it's getting there. So, the sleeve is only "new" to the WLS world, but has been performed for 2 decades as a first step for 1000s of patients.

Hi,

Tiffykins is the resident expert on revisions, as she has a compelling story and fantastic success. I am newer on my journey - 6 weeks out and have lost 20 pounds. I just shattered through my lowest lap-band weight as of today and I am thrilled about it. I, personally, was not expecting to lose much weight with the sleeve because I am a low BMI patient and had been very disappointed with the band. I was just happy to have the band out and I wanted a safety net to keep me from regaining a lot of weight. But, the sleeve has completely exceeded my expectations.

The restriction is very consistent. There is no more discomfort from the port internally or externally (of course my port area is still healing from the removal and I can't put a lot of pressure on it rgiht now). I eat chicken - which I couldn't do with the band. I eat 1/4 of a piece of wheat toast, which i could never do with the band. The difference is wonderful and immediate.

I am so sorry to hear about your lap-band problems. Take some comfort in knowing you are not alone in this experience. There are a lot of us out there that didn't see lasting results with the band. The sleeve has been a great option for the people here on the board.

Good luck in your decision--

Lara

I hated the band, but I LOVE the sleeve! I can eat healthy foods again and I am not in pain. I was pretty much in constant pain from the band. I also hated all the randomness of the band working. One day I could eat anything and then the next day, I couldn't drink Water. The sleeve works 100% of the time. It is always there for me. I have lost 50 pounds in less than four months. It feels great to be successful. I wouldn't have the bypass because I know of the side effects from a friend. She has to have IV transfusions of Vitamins to stay healthy and her teeth are falling out because she can't absorb Calcium. I am so glad my doctor and this forum lead me to see how great the VSG is! I couldn't be happier with my choice. Good luck!

Stacey - I too am a LB failure in the process of looking at a revision and scared of another WLS failure. Thank you for the thread and for everyone's replies! I copy/pasted Tiffy's standard replyas backup in case my insurance denies me! May we all be successful with the sleeve!

As many here I am also a LB failure. I'm having revision soon and I'm nervous that I'll just end up in the same spot I was a few years ago. I'm really hoping this works for me.

One thing I'm really anxious and excited about it eating fruits and veggies! chips and crackers and Cookies go down so easy with the band, but strawberries, celery? Ain't no way.

Stacey - I too am a LB failure in the process of looking at a revision and scared of another WLS failure. Thank you for the thread and for everyone's replies! I copy/pasted Tiffy's standard replyas backup in case my insurance denies me! May we all be successful with the sleeve!

I've just begun hearing LB radio spots on a local station. it makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs! "side effects like vomiting, band removal, whatever else they say....are rare." BS flag!

As many here I am also a LB failure. I'm having revision soon and I'm nervous that I'll just end up in the same spot I was a few years ago. I'm really hoping this works for me.

One thing I'm really anxious and excited about it eating fruits and veggies! chips and crackers and Cookies go down so easy with the band, but strawberries, celery? Ain't no way.

Hello, I was banded in 2003 and had a revision last week to the sleeve. I am 9 days post op now and starting to feel a little better. I did not have any band troubles BUT was unable to keep the 60 lbs I lost off and it all came back. My regret is that I waited 8 years with the band and because I did that there was extra scar tissue and it made my surgery more difficult.