Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another NOOB to the board, going to Mexico

Hello all, I am new to the board and very excited to find this wealth of information. I have been educating myself for the last year on the different procedures. I have been around people that have had the band and the gastric bypass. Neither of those surgeries got me too excited. Once I heard about the sleeve and did more research, i feel I am ready to take the plunge.

I was in the corporate world, lost my job and insurance. I was able to find work again but not the insurance that would cover the surgery. I have been researching the surgery down at Jerusalem hospital in Tijuana Mexico with Dr. Almanza. I was apprehensive at first but If after more research and communicating with some past patients, i feel a lot better. If anyone has recently had surgery there or is scheduled, i would like to hear from you. The cost is a fraction of what i have found here in the states and their communication is great. I have just started my paper work and getting my schedule in order for the surgery next month. I would love to hear any input from anyone who thought about the surgery in Mexico or had the surgery down there.

Thank you.

Congratulations on making this decision for yourself!! I'm actually going to Dr Almanza next week!

I'll be sure to update my blog if not this board :)

Hello all, I am new to the board and very excited to find this wealth of information. I have been educating myself for the last year on the different procedures. I have been around people that have had the band and the gastric bypass. Neither of those surgeries got me too excited. Once I heard about the sleeve and did more research, i feel I am ready to take the plunge.

I was in the corporate world, lost my job and insurance. I was able to find work again but not the insurance that would cover the surgery. I have been researching the surgery down at Jerusalem hospital in Tijuana Mexico with Dr. Almanza. I was apprehensive at first but If after more research and communicating with some past patients, i feel a lot better. If anyone has recently had surgery there or is scheduled, i would like to hear from you. The cost is a fraction of what i have found here in the states and their communication is great. I have just started my paper work and getting my schedule in order for the surgery next month. I would love to hear any input from anyone who thought about the surgery in Mexico or had the surgery down there.

Thank you.

Congratulations! I am going to Dr Almanza the 10th of may. Very excited and nervous as well.

Congratulations! I am going to Dr Almanza the 10th of may. Very excited and nervous as well.

That is the time I am shooting for but I have to wait on my passport. We would like to hear from everyone and their experience with Dr. Almanza.

Thank you.

Fortunately I already have my passport, I'm traveling from Oklahoma, gonna arrive in San Diego on the 9th. Hope yr able to get your passport quickly. I assume your using an expedited service?

Fortunately I already have my passport, I'm traveling from Oklahoma, gonna arrive in San Diego on the 9th. Hope yr able to get your passport quickly. I assume your using an expedited service?

Yes, an extra 60.00 plus shipping. it will be worth it.. Louise at the clinic has been great in helping me get everything planned. I would never had thought i would consider having surgery in Mexico, now it seems logical.

I have been looking at Mexico for a long time. Just didn't think it would be this soon. I went and bought a case of Isopure clear protien today for the clear stage. Also getting ready to make soleveral Soup bases to freeze in daily portions so I done have to do any of that the first week. I am starting an all liquid preop on the 26th.

I have been looking at Mexico for a long time. Just didn't think it would be this soon. I went and bought a case of Isopure clear protien today for the clear stage. Also getting ready to make several Soup bases to freeze in daily portions so I done have to do any of that the first week. I am starting an all liquid preop on the 26th.

Hi and welcome. I had my surgery with Dr. Almanz on April 4th. I had no problems at all. The staff were very friendly and the place was clean. You will be picked up at Jetblue terminal around 8 o'clock am. along with other people having surgery at Jerusalem clinic. Then when you arrive the nurse will draw blood, and you will then be taken upstairs and checked in, then changed into a gown and given an ekg and wait to be called downstairs for your surgery. I was in OR for about 55 minutes, so it goes pretty quick. The clinic is very small, more like a surgery center here, but well staffed, equiped and clean. You will spend the night there as well. I was up and out in the tv room where my daughter slept on a leather sofa. Some of the patients had gas pains so bring some DISSOLVING Gas-x Strips just in case.The next day we went to our recovery houses, where you can pretty much do as you please. They are staffed with a nurse and a housekeeper. I stayed at Nina's house, which she owns, and it was one of the nicest recovery house and had beautiful view from up the hill looking over the city. I highly recommend her not only because she cares about her patients, but because she also had the sleeve done as well as some cosmetic's, so she is well aware of your needs and diet. Here is her link. Please contact her with your questions by email or phone. She is very helpful. Good luck!

http://www.bariatricinmexico.com/

Hi Kemo,

I looked into Dr. Alamanza too. There were mixed reviews on him from one end of the spectrum to the other. I decided that I didn't want to chance it and be one that it didn't go well for. I came across one in particular that sealed the deal for me. It was a 17 yr old girl who was writing because she wanted folks to know that her mother was still in the hospital post opt from Dr. Alamanza and that she was in a coma. She was very passionate about letting folks now about this guy. After reading that, I decided to go else where. I'm going to Dr. Jamie Ponce de leon in TJ on the 29th. He teaches bariatrics and has done them on other doctors as well. I talked with a recent patient through this site and she said that Dr. Ponce even does community work where he does the surgery for disadvantaged folks in TJ. His price currently is $4,500 dollars as well. I couldn't pass that up either. He has privileges in several hospitals and often assists new doctors on the procedure.....even Alamanza I've read.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is do your research and follow your gut, your life is too important. I know that others have had great experiences with this doctor and others who make it a mission to let people know how bad it was. Either the case, educate yourself and go from there. Good luck to you.

Hi and welcome. I had my surgery with Dr. Almanz on April 4th. I had no problems at all. The staff were very friendly and the place was clean. You will be picked up at Jetblue terminal around 8 o'clock am. along with other people having surgery at Jerusalem clinic. Then when you arrive the nurse will draw blood, and you will then be taken upstairs and checked in, then changed into a gown and given an ekg and wait to be called downstairs for your surgery. I was in OR for about 55 minutes, so it goes pretty quick. The clinic is very small, more like a surgery center here, but well staffed, equiped and clean. You will spend the night there as well. I was up and out in the tv room where my daughter slept on a leather sofa. Some of the patients had gas pains so bring some DISSOLVING Gas-x Strips just in case.The next day we went to our recovery houses, where you can pretty much do as you please. They are staffed with a nurse and a housekeeper. I stayed at Nina's house, which she owns, and it was one of the nicest recovery house and had beautiful view from up the hill looking over the city. I highly recommend her not only because she cares about her patients, but because she also had the sleeve done as well as some cosmetic's, so she is well aware of your needs and diet. Here is her link. Please contact her with your questions by email or phone. She is very helpful. Good luck!

http://www.bariatricinmexico.com/

Quints, I have a question that might sound silly. I have read about issues with the Water in Tijuana or in Mexico in general for that fact. Tell me about your experience about drinking Water in Mexico pre-op and post op. What about showering post up and the incisions, any issues? Do they tell you anything about the water? Did you remove your own stitches after the 10 days while you were at home or did you go to your local doctor? How did Dr. Almanza seal the stomach, staples, glue and sutures? Did he just use sutures on the incisions from the surgery, is there 5 total?

Anyone else have any input about the water in Tijuana for drinking and showering after surgery? I would hate to have a successful surgery and then get sick from the water.

Thank you.

Quints, I have a question that might sound silly. I have read about issues with the Water in Tijuana or in Mexico in general for that fact. Tell me about your experience about drinking Water in Mexico pre-op and post op. What about showering post up and the incisions, any issues? Do they tell you anything about the water? Did you remove your own stitches after the 10 days while you were at home or did you go to your local doctor? How did Dr. Almanza seal the stomach, staples, glue and sutures? Did he just use sutures on the incisions from the surgery, is there 5 total?

Anyone else have any input about the water in Tijuana for drinking and showering after surgery? I would hate to have a successful surgery and then get sick from the water.

Thank you.

I personally didn't drink the water unless it came out of a bottle, I spit out after rinsing my mouth. But then again, they do give you ice chips after surgery and from what I understand, when they perform the staple they fill your stomach up with water for a leak test and I didnt have any problems from that water. I also chose not to shower with open wounds, yes I had 5 of them, all stiched except for the one where they removed the port after 2 days, that was still open and covered with a guaze pad. Maybe I was being a paranoid dirt ball (( lol)) but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I can't speak for anyone who did shower. According to Nina, I was told Dr. Almanaz uses all 3 methods for closure: staples, surtures and glue, it was 2 weeks since my sleeve yesterday, and I have not had any problems or infections. My primary took out my stitches 10 days later for me and I feel good, just a little tired, but I've been back to work for a week and still recooperating... Or maybe it's the lack of food making me feel tired! lol..who knows. All I know is I had a very good experience with Dr. Almanza, Jerusalem Clininc, and Nina my cooridenator and I would do it again as well as reccomend them to others. Like Viola said, it is a big decission and you have to do what you think is best for you. Nobody knows your body like you do and what you can and cannot handle. When you feel comfortable with your choice, you'll know. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I know there has been some real serious complaints with Dr Alamanza. I don't know that you can search for them on this forum anymore it was about a year ago when I read all the negative reviews. Just make sure to do your research!

Good Morning Kemo!

Welcome to the forum!

I am 9 days Post-op. I used Dr. Almanza. My surgery was April 11th, and I have kept in contact with 5 of the other 6 patients who had their surgery the same day I did, and we all seem to have had a very positive experience with Jerusalem Clinic thus far.

I am in no way here to sway anyone one way or the other as far as whom they choose to do their surgery. This is a very personal decision and one that you must make only after doing all of your research and finding what you feel comfortable with, and weighing the pros and cons.

As for the Water and bathing, I did not drink the Water, and everything besides the ice chips that they give you, was bottled. I waited until the 3rd day out of surgery when my husband and I were in San Diego, to shower. It wasn't a big deal to me because I showered the night before my surgery.

I'd also keep in mind that this is a clinic. I highly doubt that in order to preserve their reputation and keep their clientele, that they would serve you water or ice chips or anything that could potentially have a bad outcome. Just my thoughts.

I can tell you that I felt more at ease and comfortable in this clinic than I have EVER felt in an American Hospital or Dr.s Office!!! They smile, they treat you like family, they do everything they can to make you feel at home. There is none of the stiff backed, "I'm so busy and you're cutting into my golf time" attitude. They were EXTREMELY open and honest about answering any and ALL of our questions, without hesitation, even showing computer records and documentation for my questions.

Ultimately this is your decision to make and you have to figure out what you are comfortable with.

I can only speak for myself and my experience there, but I would go there again in a heartbeat.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will keep us posted on your journey!

Once again, welcome to the family!!!

Christal

See you their. My girlfriend jennifer and I will be flying in to San Diego on the 24th for her surgery on the 25th.