Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quit smoking for before WLS?

I cant quit, or of course I could but I dont feel strong enough losing my first drug (food) and second one (cigarettes) at the same time.

They didnt test me for nicotine I was just told not to smoke one day before surgery.I didnt smoke after the surgery for a week or two, but Im back smooking:-(

I quit smoking before my surgery as I knew that I was increasing my risks for post-op complications. Being under anesthesia holds its own risks and compromising lung function ads more risks to the ones that already exist. If you can... follow-through and quit before surgery. I started back up after surgery which was so dumb... and continued the quit/start/quit/start game for quite awhile. I quit again the end of January and I know this time it will stick. :) I feel and smell so much better! It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but well worth the effort! Oh... combining the nicotine Patches with Zyban (wellbutrin) apparently takes a lot of the horror out of quitting... you could ask your doctor about that. :success1:

So my insurance is pending but now they say they need a medical clearance letter from my PCP saying that I am fit and medically stable enough to have the surgery.

I talked to my PCP's nurse today and she said I would have to come in for an EKG and a chest x-ray. zomg. Did anyone else have to have this done? What if he sees something in my chest from smoking (I can't imagine cancer quite yet, as I am only 21yo, but you never know) Will he say that I'm not fit to have the surgery? Eeeegad. Can you see tar and buildup on the chest x-ray? yuch yuch yuch. I really should have quit when I told my PCP I was going to. Now he's going to see that I fibbed a wittle bit.

i smoked up to 2 months before surgery but didn't have any lung damage that i was made aware of. unless you're a veeeery heavy smoker since you were 10, you've probably dodged the bullet... as long as you do stop now. but please do stop smoking ASAP! because i remember how hard it was to breathe when i was coming out of anesthesia.

I had to quit about 2 months before surgery. They sent me to a pulmonologist because my lung capacity was low (helloooo, Im a smoker!) But I quit with the patch and the pulmonologist said everything was fine. I was able to stay stopped for 8-1/2 months after surgery but then ...... here I am at it again, just as bad as before surgery. I am ready to give it another go pretty soon....

My surgeon also would not operate unless I was smoke free for 2 weeks prior to surgery.

My doctor wanted me to stop smoking, but it was just so hard. I smoked right up until the day of my surgery, and I had my first cigarette about 6 days after surgery. I tried quitting, but without having any food, it was way too hard. i'm going to try again, because I don't want to get cancer after I lose weight, and then die. It just doesn't make any sense to have this surgery for my health, but continue to put my health in jeopardy by smoking.

I am in the process of quitting for my surgery August 16th. Today is day #2 for me. I am using the patch and right now it isn't unbearable. :clap2: I know with the patch I can make it through surgery, but I don't know if I can continue not smoking for good. I've committed myself to 2 weeks, so that I know I can do. I did get permission from my dr. to use the patch, so they should be aware that even though I'm not smoking, there WILL be nicotine in my blood. Apparently, they're concerned about our lungs during surgery, and not the effects of the nicotine.

Kirsten

I admit I have been reluctant to post anything about smoking for fear of the bombardment of "you should quit" comments..sometimes I want to say "no shit"..haha. This thread gratefully has made me think its ok to talk about. I know I wont be smoking day of surgery and hopefully for days after, but the thought of them testing me for smoking has me a little wigged out. How do you know if they will? My doc hasnt said anything about it, in fact I have had to ask anything I want to know about my upcoming surgery. To be frank, I am in day 2 of all liquids and smoking is keeping me from ripping someones head off ! HAHA..I will get the patch and tomorrow I am having a phone interview from a nurse at the hospital that I am getting banded at. I will ask her if thats ok and when I should remove it before surgery. I admit I am even scared to mention smoking, but I can quit for as long as they need me to to make sure the surgery goes through...

so again, how did you guys know if you were going to be tested? Did they just spring it on you like a suprise or were you warned? Also, is it your surgeon testing or people at the hospital?

Thanks!!

Scribby....

Please QUIT NOW!!! You still have 6 days till your surgery, and those 6 days being smoke free will help you so much during anesthesia and recovery. I was told by my doctor that I had to be smoke free for 2 weeks. I was told that if he suspected that I had smoked, he would not do the surgery. It's for our own safety. It's not easy, but the patch helps so much. It takes away the NEED to smoke, although it doesn't break the HABIT of smoking. I'm an outdoor smoker and I keep finding myself at the front door ready to walk outside and smoke and then it hits me that I can't. LOL The instinct to smoke is what is driving me nuts, not the urge.

Kirsten

Quit smoking and go on a crash diet - I wonder if this isn't some cruel joke! I was shocked when I read I would have to quit 2 weeks before. I've had other surgeries and they've only told me not to smoke the day before or the day of.... Today is my first day 100% smoke free - with the patch. I tried quitting day before yesterday, but I cheated and did have 2 and yesterday had one.

I always FEEL better when I don't smoke - the habit is such a contradiction. Smoke and feel like shit, but no tension. Don't smoke and be tense and bitchy....I just keep reminding myself I HAVE to stay smoke free. Today its working! Yay me!

Everyone else facing the same thing, keep up the good work!!!!!

I also am having a very hard time with quiting! I was told by my doctor that I had to quit or he would cancel the surgery. I have heard that it is very hard to heel if you smoke. The whole thought of the liquid diet and no smoking almost has me ready to check myself into the funny farm. BTW I am also teaching someone at work to replace me during my time off...........

Can I have any more stress in my life??????? I just think of the final result and try to convince myself that it's all worth it

They do test for nicotine in your blood........... No way around it

My doc just told me flat out, you must be smoke free for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I just took him at his word for it. AS it was he made me go to that pulmonologist which pushed my surgery date back about a month. the patch really does help quite bit. I work at home so I would have been able to smoke anytime and the patch really helped me not to even think about it. Its tough the first couple days but then it went pretty good. it was 9 months later that did me in and i started back up. Just look at what you want to achieve.... this surgrey..... that should be able to get you over the hump.

Hey Little bird, your surgery date is my birthday!!! It is bound to be a great day! :-)

I am proud to say that I quit smoking on March 18th and am very very very proud of myself. I did not use any quit smoking devices, I quit cold turkey. I know how hard it is to stay quit in times of stress, I just always try to remember that my stress doesn't go away when I smoke, just my lung capacity does. LOL I smoked three packs a day for 15 years, no small habit to quit. :eek: Last month I buried my father, he died of lung cancer. It was a horrible feeling to be standing in front of my daddy's casket thinking I desperately needed a cigarette. However, the sad irony of it did make me realize exactly how hard the drug is to quit! I wish all of you the best of luck and if you are lucky enough to have your Dad, hug him for me! :)

Good luck you all!! ~Patti

I am proud to say that I quit smoking on March 18th and am very very very proud of myself. I did not use any quit smoking devices, I quit cold turkey. I know how hard it is to stay quit in times of stress, I just always try to remember that my stress doesn't go away when I smoke, just my lung capacity does. LOL I smoked three packs a day for 15 years, no small habit to quit. :scared: Last month I buried my father, he died of lung cancer. It was a horrible feeling to be standing in front of my daddy's casket thinking I desperately needed a cigarette. However, the sad irony of it did make me realize exactly how hard the drug is to quit! I wish all of you the best of luck and if you are lucky enough to have your Dad, hug him for me! :)

Good luck you all!! ~Patti

Good job. I'm sorry for your loss, but sometimes it takes that kind of a shake up to give us the motiviation to succeed. I'm sure he'd be proud of you quitting!! Keep it up.

My surgeon required 2months smoke free before surgery and had it in writing that I would be tested. If found to have been smoking, the surgery would be canceled. But alas, I am back at it also. I think it will be harder this time than it was before, the surgery was my incentive.