Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help... I'm so confused which surgery to choose...

After speaking to a nurse at one of the WLS seminars I went to, she told me that the sleeve doesn't work on women as well as men long term? Also, I have type 1 diabetes and she said that the sleeve would be 'no good' for me? I am so confused. I actually went to two different seminars, at two different hospitals, and at the other seminar the nurse coordinator told me there was no difference between the two surgeries based on my diabetes. My BMI is currently at 42, if that helps. I was really looking forward to the sleeve because the thought of 're-plumbing' my insides kinda disturbs me.... Oh, and I have BCBS of MI so I should be able to be approved for either surgery. I haven't actually talked to the surgeon yet, but I'm hoping to get in for an appointment next week.

HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND PLEASE!:blink:

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I just went through the same argument myself and also posted a topic about it. I had a band that did not work as I thought it would so I was faced with either gain my weight back and have nothing to show for that stupid band or have a revision surgery. I fought with myself for a few days because I was also told that the sleeve might not be a good choice for me since I was unsuccessful with the band but I just could not imagine having the RNY knowing that I want to have children in the near future (even though they say it would be fine). Also I personally know several people that had the bypass and some were successful and some were not. I decided that the RNY would be my last resort since the sleeve can easily be changed to the RNY. Once you have the bypass, that's it. Most doctors won't even atempt to reverse it so I wanted to have the sleeve so that I can try to have a somewhat normal life after the weight loss and not have to worry about dumping syndrome or Vitamin deficiencies (as bad). After scouring these pages and lots of advice from people on here, friends, and family, I made my decision to go with the sleeve. I was sleeved on 4/6 after only a short wait because my current insurance did not require me to do anything. So far I am really happy with my decision. The first few days after surgery were hell but it gets better everyday. Only you can decide what decision is best so research and make an educated choice. Good luck and best wishes! :D

Monica

I replied on OH as well, but if you check this one first.

1) It's total B.S. about men being more successful long term with VSG. B.S.

2) Check out the OH revision forum, go back through about 5-8 pages and see just how many people are looking to revise their RNY because of 1) Regain 2) Complications with their pouch/stoma combination

3) Resolution with diabetes happens with the sleeve all the time.

Here is a study for Type II Diabetes resolution with VSG and RNY

http://www.springerlink.com/content/f135104x27461498

Here's another research link on Ghrelin Plasma levels for VSG vs. RNY, it specifically shows that VSG gives longer lower levels of Ghrelin (the hunger hormone)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18376181?ordinalpos=12&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I have tons of research links, articles in my blog if you'd like to review them, along with my reasons for VSG instead of RNY for my revision from the band.

Thanks for responding... First, congratulations on your sleeve. I never imagined it would be this hard to decide what to do.... But everything you said made complete sense. I'm about 98.9% I'm gunna do this. Unless the surgeon says I have no other choice beside RNY... Like you said, in the future I could always take it one step further if I really had no luck with the sleeve. Sure it wouldn't be ideal to have more than 1 WLS, but once RNY is done it's really done....

Take care! I hope you have an easy recovery!

Wendy :D

Thanks Tiffykins! I appreciate you taking the time to reply to both sites.. I wanted to get as much input as possible, I figured better too much, than not enough, right? :rolleyes:

Also thanks for pointing out the pouch/stoma issue. Unfortunately, in my experience, if there is a complication to be had, I'll find it. I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 22... ended up with a numb lower lip cause they hit the nerve (well, half my lip). I had my tubes tied after my 2nd was born, one grew back together (almost completely back together) and Now I have baby #3!!! I am really taking a careful look at the complications for this one, cause I want to do this to make improvements in my life, not more trouble! :lol:

So thanks again!

Wendy

Thanks for responding... First, congratulations on your sleeve. I never imagined it would be this hard to decide what to do.... But everything you said made complete sense. I'm about 98.9% I'm gunna do this. Unless the surgeon says I have no other choice beside RNY... Like you said, in the future I could always take it one step further if I really had no luck with the sleeve. Sure it wouldn't be ideal to have more than 1 WLS, but once RNY is done it's really done....

Thank you and your not alone in this; it was a very hard decision for me too seeing as I already 'failed' with the band so I wanted to make sure that I was not setting myself up to fail again. It's true that people loose alot of weight quickly with the bypass, but I would much rather loose it a bit slower and keep it off. I don't really see a reason why your doctor would tell you that the RNY is your only choice. If he does, I would definately get a second opinion if you make up your mind to go with the sleeve. Keep us updated and good luck!

I myself believe the sleeve will become the surgery of choice. Aside from not thinking it great to have my intestines rearranged, I find the malabsorption aspect of the RNY really undesirable. Though removing part of your stomach is extreme, I like the fact that the route from mouth to colon is the same. That is a BIG thing to me. The lack of dumping is a big thing too- I have a lot of physical issues and I don't need that. I am the kind of person who does a lot of research before doing anything and I chose the sleeve.