Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long were you off work?

Hi,

I am low BMI and I took 2 weeks off. I wish I would have taken 3. I am currently at 5 1/2 weeks out and I am still exhausted every day - if your job is stressful, take the time off. It does vary from person to person. The good news is, if you feel great after one week, you can take the next few weeks to focus on your eating and feeling better.

My opinion, if you have the time, take it.

Lara

I was sleeved on April 4 and went back to work April 8 with no issues...

-ken

Hi Ken,

Do you have a very low movement or desk job? I am concerned about this too. I would like to get my procedure done in July, but i cannot take FMLA or short term disability until September. I do have quite a bit of PTO for the year and was hoping to get the surgery on Thurday, take Friday and Monday off, and then work from home for a week. My friend had a complete bypass with pacreatitis complications and was back to work in 2 weeks. Your posting has given me some hope and maybe I can get this done at the beginning of summer.

I took 3 weeks off total. I'm so glad I did because it at least got me through the complete liquid diet stage and most of the mushies.

It's everyone's personal preference of course. I know some folks are back at work within days! I couldn't do it though... LOL

I was answering emails and doing a few hours of computer work the day after surgery! I own my own business and didn't really have the option to take time off. I was working 4-6 hours at Day 3-5 and back to 40+ 1 week later-office work only. I am in week 2 and back on the road working in garden centers doing light duty, no lifting over 30+ and still being careful bending over at the waist. I'm pretty tired at the end of the day, in bed by 10pm. Feel great but everybody is so different. Pre-surgery, I couldn't sit still for more than an hour at a time I am always on the go! I'm sure when I can get more Protein in, I'll have my old energy back.

I took I took off 8 work days off. I was tired the first few days but keep a small fridge in my office stocked Protein Shakes I took to work with me. Now I keep it stocked with cheeses, shaved lunch meat, and yogurt so I can sneak a Protein filled snack when I need it. I didn't want to use vacation time, I want to use that when I can enjoy it, so when I exhausted my PTO I decided I felt well enough to go to the office. Everybody is different so do what feels good for you!! Best wishes!!!!

I had surgery on Tuesday and was back at work the following Monday. I didn't have much paid time off available. I would say I felt 100% at about the three week post op point and would've come back then if money wasn't an issue. That being said it wasn't that difficult and is very doable but I would take into considerations whether you are getting down liquids and particularly Protein okay, if you've had surgery before and how you recovery, and level of job difficulty(both mental and physical).

Good luck with your decision!

Amanda

My surgery was this past Monday and I'm going back to work this coming Monday. But I'll be working from home and I'm only working M-W next week. I think I'll be fine given how I'm feeling now.

Hi Ken,

Do you have a very low movement or desk job? I am concerned about this too. I would like to get my procedure done in July, but i cannot take FMLA or short term disability until September. I do have quite a bit of PTO for the year and was hoping to get the surgery on Thurday, take Friday and Monday off, and then work from home for a week. My friend had a complete bypass with pacreatitis complications and was back to work in 2 weeks. Your posting has given me some hope and maybe I can get this done at the beginning of summer.

Hi,

Yep, I have a desk job. Knock on wood, I didn't have any complications, didn't need the pain meds I was prescribed, and was and have been able to get in all the fluids and Protein. I've been drinking mostly Isopure no carb Protein Water for my protein and gatorade g2 drinks to get in some electrolytes (I noticed an immediate improvement in energy level after starting the G2 drink, love it). I also use the unjury chicken Soup flavored protein and add some salt to it, that also makes me feel much better. If you want to get in your protein but have trouble getting in fluids, MetRX sells these test tube shaped 'protein shots' with 32grams of protein in only 3oz of liquid. It tastes awful, like cough medicine, but it's still a great way to get in your protein.

As everyone will tell you, walking is critical. I walk a LOT, even at work I make sure to walk every hour and do some standing calf raises as recommended by my surgeon.

I think you will do fine, it's great that you can work at home for a week.

-ken

Sleeved on April 4 ....7 days for me, but what I returned to work for was to play for a wedding. The next day I returned to work at school, but again I warm the kid's lunches, watch them on the playground and then work with them in a computer lab.

I feel like my butt is busted now, bit it is due to back pain and not the surgery. I had some lower back problems crop up 2 months ago. I hope the surgery will help with that in the long run.

I had some lower back problems crop up 2 months ago. I hope the surgery will help with that in the long run.

I also had some back problems that came up post-op, out of nowhere. I was in serious pain for a couple weeks. No idea what set it off, but then it went away again, thank god.

"My surgeon said a minimum of 14 days and normal is a month. I have short term disability after 21 days and honestly I could save enough in addition to the time I will have in vacation - and I am seriously thinking about it. I am so stressed with work and so ready for a break!

Did anyone else do that?"

I am fortunate to have an excellent disability plan at work. I also have a very demanding job where I am not sitting at my desk and I routinely work nights and weekends. Dealing with post surgery discomfort and adjusting to the post op liquid regime will be stressful enough -- I don't want or need the extra stress of my job. I plan on using as much time as I need -- going back to work sooner will always be an option. I've learned that going back to work expecting to "take it easy" is wishful thinking at my job!

Thanks guys! I hear so many who go to Mexico say they are back to work within a week so I wondered. At this point I am thinking the whole month - it will be the end of summer so I could spend some nice time with my 16 year old before school starts back up and just get some rest in general.

I took 4 weeks off work and needed all of it. I am on week 6 and i still get tired pretty easily and stay close to home, in case I need to get there quick to lay down.