Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Became A Drunk After My Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I am currently going through this... I don't want to quit though? I feel happy and self esteem is high when I am intoxicated :( I look frwd to the weekends to get drunk, sloppy snooki drunk but not sexually wild, just dance wild and fun! It's been 2 weeks since I had my last drink, only because my work schedule, I am mandatory to work more hours and every other weekend now. So maybe it is a good thing but this weekend I am off and can not wait to drink the night away! I feel so anxious for this weekend!

I am so depressed, I take zoloft and xanax to help me.. but it isn't working. I can totally feel your pain.

Praying for you! I am so sorry you are going through this!

I am currently going through this... I don't want to quit though? I feel happy and self esteem is high when I am intoxicated :( I look frwd to the weekends to get drunk, sloppy snooki drunk but not sexually wild, just dance wild and fun! It's been 2 weeks since I had my last drink, only because my work schedule, I am mandatory to work more hours and every other weekend now. So maybe it is a good thing but this weekend I am off and can not wait to drink the night away! I feel so anxious for this weekend!

I am so depressed, I take zoloft and xanax to help me.. but it isn't working. I can totally feel your pain.

All I can say is that you should pray' date=' pray, pray, and then pray some more. I was hit with that dreaded disease of alcoholism for many years, but with lots of prayers I finally overcame it. I don't even like the stuff anymore![/quote']

I agree.....Prayer gives me a sense of comfort...You have nothing to lose, try it!

I lost 120 pounds in 6 months with 80 more to go. I started drinking wine and all the depression and anxiety became suppressed by that. I didn't regain any weight but I stopped losing. Everything snowballed to the point I hit the bottom of the barrel and now I have been sober but the depression and the anxiety is hitting me big time although I am on tranquilizers and an anti-depressant. I feel so overwhelmed and guilty that I messed up my weight loss for 7 months.

Can anyone relate and give me some advice?

Thank you!

Hang in there it will get better,I have been sober 13 yrs. AA is a wonderful start it will help. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm going through this right now. Life feels like too much but I'm not able to really feel anything when I act like this. I just replaced food with wine. Before it was shopping. I have been to therapy for years and years and have been on enough medication to kill an elephant.

I swear that there is some bottomless pit inside of me and the only cure is to reach out and stop isolating!! When I close up shop it only gets worse.

I am in the same boat you are in. So glad you posted, as there are not many frequent posts on this topic, although I am finding out

that cross-over addictions are extremely common after bariatric surgeries---one person mentioned as many as 80% have this post op!!

I, too, formed a cross-over addiction to wine. It started roughly 3-6months after my surgery and I am 1 year post-op. I believe I always "abused" alcohol, but it really escalated when using food, etc. was no longer something I could turn to as a coping mechanism.

I hit my rock bottom, and am now actively trying to reach sobriety. I find that isolating is my downfall, and people in the recovery

community are so caring and generous if you reach out. I had a terrible day yesterday and reached out to people. I had a tremendous response which was a lifesaver. I am finding however, that no matter how common this link is between VSG/etc. and

cross-over addictions (which I hear over and over,,,), I still can't seem to find specific people experiencing it that I can talk to for support.

So would love to chat with you if you are interested. We could discuss by phone or email if you like.

A fellow VSGer in recovery!

When I saw this thread I said 'thank God' I not alone. I too always had a problem but after surgery it escalated to where my job, family, and my life was seriously at risk. I was drinking at least two pints of vodka a day. I don't know how I was able to consume so much and I did this 6 months after surgery. I am seeking real help now im on some good medication to help with the urges and I go to groups. I learn that I can help others with my story and vise versa

I liked your post. I have felt the same way but am also getting help. I still wouldn't trade my sleeve for the world, and have kept my weight off. However, other addictions such as drinking can become markedly exacerbated post-op so we must be super aware. My problem started 6 months post-op as well. I am managing now but it has been a struggle. It is so good to hear that I am not alone with this problem. Keep posting! It helps!

How is everyone doing? I'm sober since Feb5 2013. `7 months. Never thought I would be a drunk but I know I can't touch the stuff anymore. Made it to goal a week ago. and am working on maybe another 5-10# lower leeway. Doing my eating from noon to 8 pm daily. I like this I don't go to bed stuffed. OCC. will be hungry but I sleep much better. If I have cravings for alcohol I will just take my L-glutamine and I'm good.

I don't go to meetings I'm doing this on my own w/ help from these forums. Lets keep this forum alive. Linda

sober since Feb5 2013. `7 months.

donewithdieting

your hard work of losing 74 lbs and "losing" alcohol - what can i say???

very happy for you!! :)

can't relate to the drinking, but i think some/many/most of us can relate to being obsessed over food - so drink is right there too :angry:

raising my wine glass (filled with Water ;) ) to your health and happiness :)

best of luck to you

kathy

congrats

Just an update: Been dry since Feb.5th. Doing well, anxiety under control. I do now drinking too much coffee, so I will work on that next but I love the powder Creamer. Linda

dry since Feb.5th. Doing well,

Linda

WooHoooooo

so glad things are going well!!!

thats 10 month

after a year - don't you get some cake!!! :lol:

since you didn't mention otherwise, sounds like you are doing great with eating and working with your sleeve :)

too much coffee???

now that i can relate to!!! :lol:

but i'm doing better with that

77 lbs down!!!!!!

keep up the great job for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer and sober life ;)

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

I'm so glad you posted this! There are so many strong people on this site posting about their struggles with addiction. I know it's hard to share such personal information, but it really does help others to know they are not alone and that addictions can be managed.

I am a little over 6 months out and I can see some tendencies toward other addictions. I'm certain I am a food addict and I've been in counselling for a year now. Just the reaction I had after my sleeve surgery when I couldn't eat my feelings anymore - it was the WORST feeling I've ever had. I used to eat until I was numb and was "high" on food (I compare it to getting drunk). I can't do that anymore so my brain automatically wants to look for a replacement. I'm really keeping an eye on my drinking, shopping, etc. The counselling has helped me be aware of my issues and, if I'm aware of them, I feel like I'm gaining some headway to healing. It is also helping me to feel my feelings instead of suppress them with whatever (food, alcohol, etc.). It's a really difficult process, especially when you suffer with anxiety and depression. My brain really fights feeling my emotions! I've used these coping skills my entire life and now I'm trying to change - very hard thing to do.

So I guess my point is that none of us are immune to the possibility of other addictions. But awareness is the key. If you are aware of the problem (or potential problems) you can get the help you need. Hang in there - you're not alone - and YOU CAN DO THIS:)

I ams still preop but I have said before that Vyybrid is an amazing antidepressant. It doesn't hurt to take meds until your issues are worked through. Good luck!