Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with a surgery date!

I'm going to Mexico! Surgery is April 28th with Dr. Alvarez. I liked the idea of being able to drive from Dallas rather than fly to San Diego (and it would actually take less time). Not that it was a primary consideration, but a nice benefit.

Now I need to get going on the Protein samples, finding out what to bring to hospital, what to have ready at home, etc. I think I may need to get some meals cooked for the fam before i go, too. Keeping a family of ten fed is a challenge on the best of days...may be Herculean for the first few days, weeks (months?) after surgery! Glad to have decided on a sleeve vs. RNY, though, and to have found this forum. Great info!

Sooooo hoping for a decent weight loss in the first couple of months, as i am going to a high elevation in both late June and early August. Don't want to be huffing and puffing like last year. Soooooo happy to think those days may soon be behind me for good!

Now to figure out how to tell my parents I'm going to Mexico for surgery....wish my dad would come with me and get it done, too...even at 68 I think he would be great!

Grinding to a halt from all this rambling....Jill

Congratulations on your surgery date. I wish you all the luck on your road to feeling better! Keep us updated on everything goes.

I know how excited you must be, because I just got my approval and surgery date today and am SO very excited!

Eeeee so excited for you!

I'm not sure how to tell my family and whether or not to tell any co-workers (or boss) and even if I should tell my trainer. I think I might keep it a secret till its over... then no one can try and talk me out of it! Not like they could, I just don't want the hassle! :P

I noticed from reading around that a lot of folks head to Mexico for the operation. Is there a reason for that? (maybe because it's close?)

Well, best of luck to you, you must be excited with your surgery fast approaching.

The same surgery in Canada (self pay) is over 20,000 and at least a year between first consult and surgery date. In Mexico I can get it for 1/3 to 1/4 the price and much quicker turnaround :D

Terrib, I was seeing a doctor in town, self-pay, told him I wanted it asap, he told me he would perform the surgery at a Dallas area clinic for WLS, let me make and start all the preop appts, then had the secretary tell me he didn't yet have privileges there and wouldn't for a while. That's when I started looking into Mexico. I just didn't want to start over with a different surgeon (much further from my small town), wait even longer, go to all the preop stuff, and be halfway thru summer before getting surgery. Can you sense my impatience! Lol Once I realized I could drive down and back to Alvarez with a 3.5 day turnaround, I was hooked. Also, Dr. Alvarez has done TONS more sleeves than the doc here, who prefers RNY, which is what I was originally doing based on his advice. He also has a much lower complication rate.

ToDream, I likely won't be telling a lot of people about it. We will see. I do need to tell my parents, though, because I need them to babysit! And they would be justifiably mad if I left them out of knowing about a surgery. I know they'll be supportive because my sister had the band done. They'll just freak on the Mexico part. Oh well...

start my liquid diet 4/18/11 surgery set for mon 4/25/11 at forest park medical center in dallas tx any one have some good advise

Start a post of your own so everyone sees this and you get answers! I worry when people post in someone else's thread that they won't get answers!

I wish you the best on your journey! I will be taking the same journey as my date with Dr. Alvarez is set for June11....wohooo! Keep us posted on your progress when you are able. I would love to hear about your experience.

start my liquid diet 4/18/11 surgery set for mon 4/25/11 at forest park medical center in dallas tx any one have some good advise

Congratulations on your surgery date!! Im just begining my journey as well. My surgery date was April 4, 2011, so that puts me at 13 days post op today, and i have lost 15 pounds thus far. Im still on the liquid diet phase, and I should be advancing my diet this week once my Dr. gives me the green light. The first week was tough since i had lots of esophagus pain with any liquids. It was hard for me to swallow any food due to the pain. In all my research and pre op visit, there was never mention of this pain, so it was a big surprise for me. The good news is that it was short lived and it resolved by day 10. The pain has gone away and i feel WONDERFUL!!

I found that Bariatric Advantage supplements easily dissolve and taste somewhat tolerable. Also, i start my morning with a warm tea, which seemed to soothe my esophagus. Best Wishes for your surgery, and i look forward to to seeing your success.