Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am freaking out!!! I'm 5 weeks post op. I just paged my Dr. because my ankles are swelling like giant logs and I have been gaining weight...like 10 lbs while following plan. He was like "This is highly unusual, I've actually never seen this before and we need to run some tests". Anyway, I have an appt. to see him in the morning. So hoping it's all a fluke, but I'm so worried.

So sorry ... I sure hope they can get this figured out.

I can imagine! Fortunately, you were able to get a quick appointment. I hope the diagnosis is quick and easy to correct! :)

Post and let us know what happens!

Amanda

That sounds awful! I know how uncomfortable that swelling can make you, too. I sometimes have swelling

How do you feel otherwise? Any other symptoms?

If you are short of breath or feeling any heart symptoms make sure you page your doctor again.

Thanks for the support everyone! I feel totally fine otherwise. Besides my weight issue, I am in good health. I have never had swelling before and I don't have any chronic conditions. I am really worried and quite frankly getting a bit pissed that this WLS is not yet "working" for me though I'm following the rules. I've lost way more weight than this on my own in the past and way quicker. I am just at a loss as to what is happening with my body. I'm hoping I didn't make a huge mistake with this surgery :( Sorry to get all negative on you all. My morale is down a bit at the moment. After a good nights rest and some testing tomorrow hopefully I will be reassured and be able to get mentally/emotionally refocused too!

That sounds awful! I know how uncomfortable that swelling can make you, too. I sometimes have swelling

How do you feel otherwise? Any other symptoms?

If you are short of breath or feeling any heart symptoms make sure you page your doctor again.

Just know that swelling is lots of Water weight- believe me.

Back from the Dr. He maintains that this is the first time in his thousands of sleeves that he has seen a gain like this early out and yes, I have extreme swelling. He put me on a diuretic for Water weight and sent me for labs to see if I'm developing something more serious. In the beginning of our conversation he began to talk about food intake and the behavioral aspects of things. I wanted to jump across the room and punch the man, as I know for a fact I have follow every single guideline and rule they have given me! I was very stern with him and made it abundantly clear that this was not the issue and there was obviously something else going on with my body. I was just pissed that he even brought that up. I mean, I realize that that is obviously an issue with people and the first (and easiest) answer for most surgeons, but this is simply not the case for me. I got this surgery for a very serious and simple reason...to loose the weight permanently.....So it's really irritating to me for him to suggest in any way that I may be doing something wrong when I know I haven't. I am just wanting him to do his job and figure the hell out what is going on with my body so I/we can fix it! I am obviously sensitive about this issue as it has been my one big issue in life that I have yet to conquer ;) Anyway, I'm suppose to keep doing what I am doing, take the diuretic and go back for a follow-up visit in 3 weeks as long as everything looks good on my labs. I think that if there is no progress within this next 3 weeks I may go for a second opinion elsewhere. Has anyone else out there had this issue???? Surely I can't be the only person whose body reacts negatively, right?!

Hi There. Just wanted to give an update one week out from this post. After starting a prescribed mild diuretic I have dropped all of the excess weight...almost 16 lbs worth in 5 days! That is crazy and the Dr is unsure why my body was choosing to hold onto all of that Water. This process was definitely a reminder of how complex our bodies actually are...as if having 3 babies in five years didn't?! lol ...... I'm very relieved and I am anxious to see how much "real" weight I had been loosing while packing on that water weight. I'm guessing I'll see the scale continue to go down a few lbs more over the next few days...but if I don't I will be ok with that too because at least I am heading in that right direction...yay!..... Thanks for all of your support during my little freak out! :)

Hi There. Just wanted to give an update one week out from this post. After starting a prescribed mild diuretic I have dropped all of the excess weight...almost 16 lbs worth in 5 days! That is crazy and the Dr is unsure why my body was choosing to hold onto all of that Water. This process was definitely a reminder of how complex our bodies actually are...as if having 3 babies in five years didn't?! lol ...... I'm very relieved and I am anxious to see how much "real" weight I had been loosing while packing on that Water weight. I'm guessing I'll see the scale continue to go down a few lbs more over the next few days...but if I don't I will be ok with that too because at least I am heading in that right direction...yay!..... Thanks for all of your support during my little freak out! :)

SO GLAD YOU'RE OKAY biggrin.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

Awesome! Have you been able to discontinue the diuretic?