Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I JUST NEED SOMEONE TO LISTEN (PLEASE HELP)

Hello every 1 hope all is well

i was sleeved on 3/8/11 and i wanted to ask a few questions regarding the after effects of the sleeve

1. is it normal to still have to sip while drinking fluids or should you be able to consume a little bit more

2. is it normal not to be able to tolerate mash potatoes

3 is having indigestion normal at this point (i feel like after every sip i have to burp)

also i would like to know at what point will i be able to enjoy food ,No im not saying i want to go to Mc donalds and get a number 2 , i just want to be able to enjoy a meal without worrying about bringing it back up , (not all foods that i eat come back up) i spoke with my doctor in 4/7 for my follow and he told me everthing that im am currently feeling is normal and that i shoukd keed in mind that i just had a major surgery , and with time things will get better

HOW I FEEL

im feeling as if i shouldnt have done the surgery ,and i feel very depressed he told me i should stop taken the reglan and perscibed me ativan , idont know its just one of those days were i feel down , i come to vs cause i know in some way we all are connected and are family , so i just wanted some imput from someone . my husband was totally againist the surgery he didnt take me to the hospital the day of the surgery nor did he come vist me the 2 days i was in the hospital ... and you shouldnt eveven have to ask if he picked me ( if your wondering no he didnt ) he just waiting to see me vomit ( which he never has) so he can have something to say. he doesnt even acknowldge my weight loss so far

ON A LIGHTER NOTE

im off all my diabetic medication both pills and insulin as well as my blood pressure medication

i went from 254 down to 210 as of today

Wow! that is great! I am sorry about the hubby situation I hope it gets better for yall! I feel u on the food and the water! I feel the same and was questioning my surgery as well! I cannot enjoy anything!

I don't know the answers to your questions as I haven't been sleeved yet. But I'm so sorry your hubby is being so unsupportive.

This group has been a huge source of support for me so far.

We're all here if you need us.

Hi Lisa, I was sleeved 3/21 and I think a lot of the things you are experiencingare normal even this far out. If you are having trouble tolerating EVERYTHING then I would be concerned but as far as certain food like mashed potatoes, some people tolerate some things that another person's newtummy can't so I think the intolerance to the mashed potatoes is normal for you.

As for your husband, I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with such opposition especially when you truly need the support. My boyfriend wasn't too thrilled about the surgery when I first began the journey but he has since come around and is thrilled for me. I can only wish you the best in that situation and extend my admiration since you went through with it anyway for you and no one else.

I have no idea about the indigestion / uncomfortable part because right now I still feel the same way you do when I eat. I am sipping my fluids still but notice I am able to get more in than two weeks ago. I am just being patient and trying to get out and do things so I don't focus on food and how eating makes me feel right now. :rolleyes:

You will have problems with drinking for a while it really varies in people. I had problems for about 2 months but it has gotten better and now I have no issues with my Water intake. As far as burping after your taking a drink you are swallowing air when you drink. It will get better as time passes. You need to be on a ppi if your not: I have been on protonics since day one and I don't have any issues with intergestion. You have to be patient with your progress it will get better with time. I truely don't eat mashed potatoes because they have to many carbs in them. But if you insist to eat them you should thin them down as thin as possible. I didn't really enjoy food until around 6 to 8 weeks out. If you are having problems with foods coming back up you should back away from that food for right now and maybe try them 2 or 3 week later. Slow down eating also will help things from coming up. Your new tum tum has to get used to eating food. It is kinda like your an infant you have to start on liquids and them you get a little thicker foods then you get a little more solid foods then you get normal people food. You have to pull yourself together though you have to keep reminding yourself why you did this. You have to own this for yourself look how much you have accomplished soo far. YOu are off insulin and blood pressure meds..That is soo awesome. You should be extatic. It will get better(No you will not ever eat as much as you did before the surgery) but why would you want too.. That life you left behind you was full of misery and suffering. You are losing weight now and losing cloth sizes you should be soo excited. I promise it will get better and you will get over the blues.. You need to tell you husband you need him right now and all the things that you are going through you need his support. It is time for him to step up to the plate, and get over his anger and support the person he loves good or bad.

Lisa,

First of all I think it is terrible the way your husband is treating you because of the surgery. My husband is not the most supportive person, but it would rip my heart out if he acted the way your husband is acting. My husband was against the surgery at first also, mainly because previous diets always failed for me and he wasn't willing to spend the money for the surgery because he didn't believe it would work for me since diets never worked. He even refused to discuss it with me in the beginning. I guess he figured that would be the end of it, but it wasn't the end for me. I saw this surgery as my last chance to live a normal life and I wasn't going to wait any longer.

I arranged everything on my own. Once everything was arranged, I informed him what I was doing and that was that pretty much. He wasn't happy but it was already arranged, nothing could be changed by then. During the following 2 weeks he was slowly coming around and by the time I left he accepted what I was doing. I can't imagine coming home to a person that was just waiting for something to happen so they can rub it in your face. I really hope you have some good support coming from other outlets.

As for your questions, I was sleeved 1 week before (3/1/11) you so I will answer as best I can.

I personally do not sip my liquids anymore but I believe it is different for everyone. I have read where some have had surgery before me and still sip. If it something that concerns you, you might want to discuss with your doctor.

As for the mashed potatoes, I would say that is likely normal. After surgery our tastes and tummy's have changed quite a bit. There will be things you can't tolerate that others can. People always say to wait a few weeks and try it again when it comes to food you're unable to eat it after surgery. If you are unable to tolerate all soft or mushy foods, then it might be a problem. If it is only mashed potatoes I wouldn't worry about it.

Lastly, I am guessing the indigestion is also normal. Once again, it is different for everyone. Some will have it and some wont. For me, I have problems with burping or the feeling my food/water are coming up when I eat or drink too much at a time or if I eat or drink too fast. Try to notice similarities to what is causing the indigestion. Pay close attention to how fast or how much you are eating or drinking. Also make sure you are not drinking and eating at the same time or drinking and eating too close togethere.

Finally, congrats on what you have acheived so far! You should feel very proud. I know that it is hard to feel proud when your husband is acting the way he is, but don't let his negativity get to you; that's what he wants! I don't know what would cause a spouse to act this way unless it is some sort of insecurity within them. I hope he is able to change and becomes more supportive to you. If not, try your best to find other forms of support!

You are only one month post op. yes it does take time.

Are you on a PPI? acid reducer or blocker? Most people are on some

sort of acid medication. That maybe why you're feeling an upset stomach.

Just keep sipping and it may take another 6 weeks before you start to eat more normally and enjoying your food. You're still healing.

WOW!! Boo on the husband!

I have researched for over a year and everything you described is very normal. Many have "buyers regret". I have not been sleeved yet either, May 9th I will be tho!! I think it is normal to think " what have i done to myself?" because you feel so awful and things are so much different that you are use to!!

I assure you that many say the exact same things as you and they also say give it time and you will feel better!

Best of luck to you!

Kelly

I am 3 1/2 months out and drink normally. I even gulp Water when I am spinning.

I have a problem with depression and has troubles after surgery. I think the anestesia and pain meds do a number on people's mood.

The burping and gas goes away, literally from one day to the next. That really bothered me, then suddently it stopped. (Maybe about 6 weeks out)

Now for the hardest question....

YES..you will enjoy food but in a different way. Last night I went to a 7 course dinner and I got to taste what I wanted (skipped on the Pasta round). I didn't eat huge portions, just tasted every course and had a larger portion of the fish but I was satisfied and had fun with my friends. So YES, it's an adjustment but you need to keep focused on the goal and remember that eating socially is more about the social experience than the eating. I had a tough time with this in the beginning but now I am fine ( and you will be too!). I be sure to order food that re-heats well so I can enjoy the food 1 or 2 more times!!!:rolleyes:

Congrats on your weightLOSS!!! .. and for that I WILL HAVE TO SAY u should never THINK U SHOULDNT HAVE HAD THE SURGERY!! u are almost half way to ur goal! I think:) I am speaking from the side of someone who had a changing life surgery " I had the band" I felt miserable for the first 2 month!! and kept saying why did I do that to myself!! how can I deprive myself from the one thing that gave me joy!! "cause it was actually the one thing I enjoy" now I am proceeding to another surgery!! and more restrictive one from the pics I saw from ppl posting what they ate as a sleevers. But I know I will feel crappy for a while after that but then the ouctome will be awesome just like urs!!

This feeling of regretting or thinking you shouldnt have had the surgery will fade away as soon as u know that u can start enjoying more things in life other than food:) and I am sorry about your husband but I am sure he will regret it too!! as soon as he sees the changes more and more:)

U will be both able to have more activities now in ur life and I think more enjoyable stuff;)

Cheer up! this will pass!! and Celebrate your huge progress:)

I am sorry I am still not sleeved to answer your after surgery Questions!! just wanted to share what I know cause I have been there:)

First off, congrats and kudos to you for being strong enough to know what you want and going for it! Everything you describe ( as far as your stomach) is normal. I can't comment on the mashed potatoes as I have not had them since because I don't do carbs.

As for your husband,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have heard of being scared but not going with you or seeing you in the hospital? That is down right mean and uncaring. What if something had happened? Is he a big guy?

I strongly suggest you get into a support group for VSG and that you see someone to evaluate your marriage.

i was sleeved on 3/8/11 and i wanted to ask a few questions regarding the after effects of the sleeve

1. is it normal to still have to sip while drinking fluids or should you be able to consume a little bit more

I just recently have been able to drink more than a sip at a time, and I'm almost 7 months out. I definitely still had to sip small at one month.

Yes, potatoes used to make my stomach very upset feeling for the first few months.

3 is having indigestion normal at this point (i feel like after every sip i have to burp)

I still burp quite a bit... our stomachs are very small so every little bit of trapped air has to be released quickly.

also i would like to know at what point will i be able to enjoy food ,No im not saying i want to go to Mc donalds and get a number 2 , i just want to be able to enjoy a meal without worrying about bringing it back up , (not all foods that i eat come back up) i spoke with my doctor in 4/7 for my follow and he told me everthing that im am currently feeling is normal and that i shoukd keed in mind that i just had a major surgery , and with time things will get better

Your Dr. is absolutely right. Try not to stress so much, and give your mind and your body a little time to adapt to your new lifestyle. Your stomach is barely 15-20% the size it used to be. It is going to take a lot of time and patience to get to know it. Like I said, I'm 7 months out and I'm still finding out new things.

Hang in there, and coming here to vent is the very best way to get the frustrations out. Believe me, lots of us have been there and done that - and I for one am willing to help walk you through it.

HOW I FEEL

im feeling as if i shouldnt have done the surgery ,and i feel very depressed he told me i should stop taken the reglan and perscibed me ativan , idont know its just one of those days were i feel down , i come to vs cause i know in some way we all are connected and are family , so i just wanted some imput from someone . my husband was totally againist the surgery he didnt take me to the hospital the day of the surgery nor did he come vist me the 2 days i was in the hospital ... and you shouldnt eveven have to ask if he picked me ( if your wondering no he didnt ) he just waiting to see me vomit ( which he never has) so he can have something to say. he doesnt even acknowldge my weight loss so far

Buyer's remorse is very common. Don't feel bad for wondering or second guessing whether you had made the right decision. You didn 't have the surgery for your husband, you did it for YOU and your health. Give him some time too, he needs to adapt to the new you just like you have to adapt to the new you. I'm sure in time you will both see that you did the right thing.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE

im off all my diabetic medication both pills and insulin as well as my blood pressure medication

This very sentence right here should open your eyes to see that the sleeve WAS the right choice. You're doing fantastic, now appreciate and Celebrate your victories. :) Positive reinforcement from yourself, is a must in this journey.

Hi Lisa, I was sleeved 3/21 and I think a lot of the things you are experiencingare normal even this far out. If you are having trouble tolerating EVERYTHING then I would be concerned but as far as certain food like mashed potatoes, some people tolerate some things that another person's newtummy can't so I think the intolerance to the mashed potatoes is normal for you.

As for your husband, I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with such opposition especially when you truly need the support. My boyfriend wasn't too thrilled about the surgery when I first began the journey but he has since come around and is thrilled for me. I can only wish you the best in that situation and extend my admiration since you went through with it anyway for you and no one else.

I have no idea about the indigestion / uncomfortable part because right now I still feel the same way you do when I eat. I am sipping my fluids still but notice I am able to get more in than two weeks ago. I am just being patient and trying to get out and do things so I don't focus on food and how eating makes me feel right now. :rolleyes:

thank you so much lisa for your imput , i hope things will get better , i have to just take 1 day at a time

I just recently have been able to drink more than a sip at a time, and I'm almost 7 months out. I definitely still had to sip small at one month.

Yes, potatoes used to make my stomach very upset feeling for the first few months.

I still burp quite a bit... our stomachs are very small so every little bit of trapped air has to be released quickly.

Your Dr. is absolutely right. Try not to stress so much, and give your mind and your body a little time to adapt to your new lifestyle. Your stomach is barely 15-20% the size it used to be. It is going to take a lot of time and patience to get to know it. Like I said, I'm 7 months out and I'm still finding out new things.

Hang in there, and coming here to vent is the very best way to get the frustrations out. Believe me, lots of us have been there and done that - and I for one am willing to help walk you through it.

HOW I FEEL

Buyer's remorse is very common. Don't feel bad for wondering or second guessing whether you had made the right decision. You didn 't have the surgery for your husband, you did it for YOU and your health. Give him some time too, he needs to adapt to the new you just like you have to adapt to the new you. I'm sure in time you will both see that you did the right thing.

ON A LIGHTER NOTE

This very sentence right here should open your eyes to see that the sleeve WAS the right choice. You're doing fantastic, now appreciate and Celebrate your victories. :) Positive reinforcement from yourself, is a must in this journey.

thank you so much for taking time out to reply , sometimes i just fell like i just need to talk to someone who is not going to judge me for the decision that i choose ,im a very private person and dealing with the diabetes reallly took a turn on my body , i lost my eye sight for 2 months cause my sugar was not controlled

Hi Lisa25-

I second what all those before me posted about this being perfectly normal, trying to add a medication for the acid and that food will become more enjoyable in time. :)

What really caught my attention was the animosity with Hubs over having the surgery. Just reading your post and knowing nothing else of the situation, I wondered if Hubs feels threatened by some aspect of your surgery. His behavior is textbook male behavior when threatened. Is he heavy and afraid you will leave him behind if you drop the weight? Did he feel surgery costs could harm you financially? Is he worried about you health in the future because he doesn't understand the surgery? These were the things I was wondering. I also wondered if he doesn't feel he's abadoned you in this process but rather feels you abandoned him by choosing to have the surgery over his objections.

This life-change is difficult with a partner's support, I can't imagine without it. I'm thinking if you guys can communicate and come to peace that the surgery issues you're experiencing will seem much less significant. My heart goes out to you while you guys work this out.

*HUGS*

Amanda