Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling too good too soon?

I'm not a whole 24 hours post-op yet but I feel like I could go home. The doctor came in and said I did great and was surprised to hear me walking around like i did. They said I could have some ice chips later but I really just want this iv out. I've walked up and down stairs, walked in circles till I'm dizzy, and did my breathing exercises all with no pain other than the drain rubbing against me.

So am I normal or is the pain gonna hit me soon?

I'm not a whole 24 hours post-op yet but I feel like I could go home. The doctor came in and said I did great and was surprised to hear me walking around like i did. They said I could have some ice chips later but I really just want this iv out. I've walked up and down stairs, walked in circles till I'm dizzy, and did my breathing exercises all with no pain other than the drain rubbing against me.

So am I normal or is the pain gonna hit me soon?

My doc is starting to do vsg as outpatient. It sounds like you are going to have a fabulous recovery!!

I felt good by 24 hours. I had been up and walking around no problems. I went to Mexico for my surgery, and the doctor keeps you in for 48 hours on IV meds for pain and nausea. I did not really need the pain meds. That being said, when you have to start drinking and taking meds on the new stomach, it can be painful. Follow your docs advice and take your recovery time to get used to the new stomach. Jean

I did the same thing. Up and walking circles around my nurses the day after. Surgery on thursday(3-24) slept on my side Friday and on my tummy Sat. Not a drop of pain meds and I'm now two weeks out and doing great. eating regular foods (per Dr.) just really small amounts and having an easy time getting my fluids in. It's been wonderfull and I give my praise to God for it. Congrats on your easy recovery as well. There was a guy that had it done the same day as I, and he used lots of the morphine pump so I guess all is different.

I felt great after my surgery. And because I am not the greatest with pain, I fully expected to be bedridden. I had my surgery on a Saturday and probably could have gone back to work the next week. Instead I had planned on a week of recovery and a two week vacation of relaxation after that. Was totally fine from the time I left Mexico. I did say I almost wish that I felt worse because it made the struggle with head hunger a lot harder. why did i have to have Clear Liquids for 10 days? I feel great. I surely feel for the people that do struggle after surgery but wish I struggled a bit more in a weird kind of way.

Lets see, had my surgery on the 6th, wensday, thursday I was able to go home after trying some full liquids at the hospital. I would say that the gas pain has been the worst for me but my surgery was a little more indepth since I had my Realize Band removed at the same time. I have been fighting to get in liquids, much less Protein but I guess that is to be expected. Other than some slight depression, I feel good considering all that my body has been through. Stopped pain meds on Thursday and haven't been doing anything but laying around (which is probably the reason im getting depressed). I guess i'm so ready to get a somewhat 'normal' life back it's really hard for me to lay around and do nothing. Also my stomach is so temperamental and it makes me not want to eat or drink which is depressing because I know I am only doing myself harm. I hope this will pass soon... Good luck to everyone that just had surgery, may we all have speedy recoveries...

Glad to see so many say the pain never came back and snuck up on you. Thats what I keep waiting for lol. I checked my weight and the iv does add Water weight so hopefully that will go down after I get back home. But other than the gas aches, it is so easy.

Hello Ms. Lady in NC;

Glad to hear how quickly you are bouncing back! I had VSG done as an outpatient surgery...surgery at 10AM home by 5PM. No pain but I did take the pre-perscribed pain med one night to sleep since I mixed up my days and nights that first week. No staples, no drain, no cathader, no pain, & no overnight stay. As previous poster stated, outpatient is the new wave of VSG - along with spider VSG (scarless vsg)

As long as you feel you can hydrate enough, ask to go home. Home is so much more comfortable. Exicited you are off to such a wonderful start with your new tummy.

Following the HELL that was the first 72 hours post-op (only pain meds given were friggin paracetamol), when I was violently nauseated (and made more so by every nausea med they gave me lol), I suddenly felt loads better, and have just gotten better and better since then. I am a pessimist waiting for the other shoe to drop, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying feeling so good.

Seriously, it seems to have even helped my entire digestive system, as IBS symptoms have also all but disappeared. *knocks on wood 17 times*

I am heading home and though I am a bit sore , it is nothing unmanageable. I have to say, it is my own fault because I was shopping for five hours yesterday in Tj and would have continued if my back had not given out. But today thru fri I will be taking it light. Just really glad to be finally going home!

I was sleeved on 3/30 and returned to work for 1/2 days the following Monday. My recovery has been very easy, my wife is jealous! I am reminded from time to time that I had surgery, but haven't really taken any pain meds past the first weekend. Today I start back full days, a good bit lighter and looking forward to the future. Good luck with your continued recovery.