Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

F'd by lapband BIGTIME!

I am going for the revision on Tuesday. I've had my band for 6 years! Pray for me that I will be able to be sleeved. I'm really nervous about this.

I had the band between 30May08-29Dec09. I went in for adjustments at least 3 times a month (or more); one to get Fluid in, and 2-3 to remove Fluid. At 33 weeks post op, I had been total unfilled for 20 of those weeks because of problems I was having with the band.

I travel a lot. I had my stomach move to cause slips that were very bad, but the band was always in the correct place. I flew to Copenhagen one weekend and spent the day I was there praying to the porcelain god.

I was not scheduled to get a Lap-Band originally, but to get a by-pass. I got results of some routine blood work showing that I might have Lupus (or Lupus-like Syndrome) two weeks before I was schedule for surgery. The doctor at the time would not do the RnY because of the possible Lupus (he had clients in the past who had lot of trouble because of the damage done to the digestive track). I was going to one of the best surgeons in town so I did the Lap-Band. My doctor knew of my full medical history including the fact that I have Psoriatic Arthritis (a connective tissue disease). I should never have been banded. Less than a month later the makers of the Lap-Band started to say people with a first degree relative with connective tissue disease should not get the band.

I did not want to lose my band, but at then end even totally empty, I still could not eat even SF pudding with out pain, let alone trying to drink anything. I was told by the original surgeon that he would consider doing a sleeve if I followed his medically supervised diet- which I gained 20 pounds while following it to a T. He changed his mind at the first follow up visit stating because I had all the problems with the band I would have the same problems with the sleeve. It took me 6 months to find another surgeon who would touch my case and I cash paid for the surgery in Jan. I have had very little problems with the sleeve, except for a possible leak on day 11.

Oh, the original surgeon left part of the tubing behind when he removed the band... I was still having problems like when I had the band. I did not know until I got the sleeve done and found the piece of the tubing.

Wow, there are so many "lap band gone wild" stories that it makes me wonder if they all aren't ticking timebombs waiting to go off. I wish everyone going for their revisions much luck and you will be in my prayers. I went for my post-op follow-up appoinment today and the doc said (because I keep asking) that the absolute soonest he would consider trying a sleeve would be at 2 months out but that's if I get scoped and there is enough stomach tissue to work with; I will be praying ALOT. And if you are feeling like a failure due to the lap band DON'T the band failed us, not the other way around!

Thanks, new_beginnings! I've been dragging my heels with more than a little apprehension about putting my faith in another WLS. I found a new, more experienced surgeon and have been filling out paperwork before having to even go into the office. Once I get off my butt and send in this novel(!), they will send into the insurance company for approval. It's nice to see others like you, Susan, Irene, Tiffy, et al having a such better experience with the VSG!!

the band failed us, not the other way around!

That's exactly what the nurse at my new surgeon's office said. She said that there are different surgeries because they don't all work for all. Even if I weren't going to revise, it'll be SO nice to get the crap band <stolen> out!

Ask for an EGD to stretch the scarred tissue a bit for an opening--they did this for a friend of mine for GERD. Then, after healing, maybe your revision with VSG would work. good luck!

Thank you all for the well-wishes; this board is such a blessing! I'm so sore today; they spent an hour inside me cutting out adhesions and scar tissue so I guess I should expect to be sore. Tiffykins and I share the same surgeon, Dr Michel; I trust his decision, he said that I may still have quite a bit of restriction due to the very narrow scarring (picture an hour glass). It is that narrow scarring that didn't leave enough tissue to create a sleeve; I'm praying that it will eventually stretch just enough to get a sleeve in there. It was the perfect set-up for an RNY with the pouch on top all they would have to do is cut off the narrow scarring, hook up the intestines then Voila! another nutritional deficiency case walking out the door. It sounds like Swizzly lives in a place of good values and common sense; I wish all bariatric surgeons would ban the band! And I can say my quality of life is much improved without the horrible GERD!! I will still be scanning this board looking for people who are trying to decide whether to get the band or sleeve, you can bet I'll be chiming-in with my opinion. Whether you all know it or not, you are my friends that I turn to for a pick-me-up; I know I can always count on being inspired by someone or something said on here so Thank You! I hope to be telling an inspirational story of my own someday (soon I hope).

This is my very 1st post. I have been leaning taward the band, but after research, and this site, I'm not pretty sure i'm going to go with the sleeve.

Thanks for all your coments!

I went into my surgery yesterday (April 4th) knowing there was a possibility I wouldn't get my sleeve since I've had that horrid contraption (lapband) for nearly 5 years which never really helped me lose any weight. But when my doc told me the extent of damage that had been done I just had to wonder "How in the world is this legal to implant in people?" and I understood why I'd been feeling like total CRAP for so long. I wish I had gotten that thing out of me sooner. Now I'm stuck with permanant scarring around my stomach and since my sh**-for-brains lapand doc placed it so low on my stomach it's shaped like an hour glass with a fairly large pouch at the top. I'm so dissappointed; my doc said the only op he would do on me now is the RNY. I'm just not willing or desparate enough to try that yet. So I'm sitting here in pain from surgery and scared I'm going to start gaining again. I hope writing this helps to save someone from getting the lapband; do yourself a favor and go straight for the sleeve, the band is a lie, it doesn't help - it hurts, and their claim that it is reversible - BS!!!!! And by the way the GERD I've been suffering from since being banded was instantly relieved by getting it removed. I'm sorry to be so pissy but I'm really angry that the lapband is still being put into people. Thanks for reading and I want to thank everyone on here for the hours and hours of education I've received. I'm not giving up; I'll probably try Weight Watchers or something and I'm going to keep getting scoped to see if the scarring has stretched enough to allow a sleeve. TTFN

Thank you for sharing all this information. It scary to think that doctors are pushing a product like this even knowing the problems. There is a surgeon in my city who ONLY does bands, and I can't imagine how many of those 1500 people might have suffered like you ladies.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, this is my first post, and I just had to chime in.

I had the band implanted back in 2007 and it has done nothing to help me lose weight (well, I did manage to lose 30 lbs but gained it back plus more).

I thought I was a complete failure until I found this and another message board. My surgeon has absolutely no bedside manner and would berate me for being 'fat' each time I saw him and 'eating too much'. Thankfully I found another surgeon who is helping me with my fills right now, he has a band himself and understands what it's like to have one.

Who knew that I was not alone in puking all the time? That the feeling of food being stuck in my throat was called dysphagia (spelling?). That it is not uncommon for people to get tons of fills/unfills but never find that 'sweet spot'. That banding causes bulimia. I wish I knew all of this before I decided to pay $14K for the band.

I am starting to feel more empowered because of threads like this, and feel stronger in my Quest for a revision to either RNY or a sleeve (have not decided yet).

Thank you SO MUCH everybody for opening up and sharing your stories. If only I knew then what I know now....

Robby :)

It is so hard because you have to admit to yourself that the band didn't work. We all know how tough it is to make the decision to have WLS surgery and when it doesn't work, it is so tough on your morale.

So glad to be on the other side and band-free :-)

TOMORROW IS THE DAY! No MORE BAND, I'm getting my SLEEVE! Please pray that all goes well and that after 4 1/2 years...the old girl comes out smoothly with little scarring and I am able to get the revision done while they are in there. I trust my surgeon and I know he will do what is best for me! So CROSS YOUR FINGERS! I'll be in touch on the other side...that sounded weird! I'll touch base after surgery! :)

Cheers~Barb

How did it go??? How are you feeling??? I go in tomorrow at 5:30AM! Please wish me luck...I have to say I am a bit concerned about scar tissue, but I guess that is between my stomach, my doctor and God! I'm looking forward to a nice nap!

Cheers and here's to a speedy recovery for both of us!

Barb

I am going for the revision on Tuesday. I've had my band for 6 years! Pray for me that I will be able to be sleeved. I'm really nervous about this.

Thanks Everyone for all your support! It's 4:28am and I am getting ready to head to the hospital! Would like a drink of Water but other than that, I am fine and ready to get on with this! Be thinking about me and I'll let you know how things go when I wake up! One op! One op! One op!

Cheers for a rain-soaked Tennessee!

Barb

I went into my surgery yesterday (April 4th) knowing there was a possibility I wouldn't get my sleeve since I've had that horrid contraption (lapband) for nearly 5 years which never really helped me lose any weight. But when my doc told me the extent of damage that had been done I just had to wonder "How in the world is this legal to implant in people?" and I understood why I'd been feeling like total CRAP for so long. I wish I had gotten that thing out of me sooner. Now I'm stuck with permanant scarring around my stomach and since my sh**-for-brains lapand doc placed it so low on my stomach it's shaped like an hour glass with a fairly large pouch at the top. I'm so dissappointed; my doc said the only op he would do on me now is the RNY. I'm just not willing or desparate enough to try that yet. So I'm sitting here in pain from surgery and scared I'm going to start gaining again. I hope writing this helps to save someone from getting the lapband; do yourself a favor and go straight for the sleeve, the band is a lie, it doesn't help - it hurts, and their claim that it is reversible - BS!!!!! And by the way the GERD I've been suffering from since being banded was instantly relieved by getting it removed. I'm sorry to be so pissy but I'm really angry that the lapband is still being put into people. Thanks for reading and I want to thank everyone on here for the hours and hours of education I've received. I'm not giving up; I'll probably try Weight Watchers or something and I'm going to keep getting scoped to see if the scarring has stretched enough to allow a sleeve. TTFN

I just had band to RNY revision because my band had done too much damage (and insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve). I am one month out and I wouldn't consider getting a RNY any more desperate than getting a sleeve or a band. While in the process of trying to find a way to get my stupid band out I talked to doctor after doctor about which surgery they felt would be the best and the answer by far was gastric bypass. While I would have like the sleeve I decided to go with something that was time tested and proven. I have to say that I was to chicken to go through another procedure that didn't have the literature written about it and years of testing. However, I wouldn't rule out gastric bypass that quickly. I think it has gotten a bad name because of the band as being too drastic...but that damn band is the most barbaric and drastic piece of equipment on the market.

Good luck to you.