Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 4/18. Talk me down!

Well, I have a surgery date, April 18. And I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. My doc's office starts you on a pre-op diet at the consult after you finish all your testing, but I got a pass because I was already down 15 pounds from the seminar 6 weeks before. However starting Monday I'm on a pretty strict high Protein, low carb diet and bariatric supplements.

I have a tendency toward anxiety and the longer I wait for surgery, the more I fret. Am I doing the right thing? Will this work for me? I can't have the bypass - I take steroids every day and would be at risk for marginal ulcers. And the band, well...I can't say I like the odds.

I'm so afraid I'm putting myself and my family through this only to fail again like I have so many times before. I'm 49 years old and I've been fat all my life, but now my health is going down hill.

Will this really work?

Hang in there. Don't psych yourself out about this. I am scheduled 4-14-11 with Dr. Aceves. I was originally scheduled for 8-2010, but I was injured in a fall and had to delay for a broken neck and total knee replacement. However, my daughter had this done 7-1-10, has lost 90 lbs and feels great. Watching her post-op course had been encouraging. The worst part according to her is the liquid diet for about 3 weeks after surgery. She wanted to chew something so bad!!!

I can't wait to get this done. I have been overweight off and on my whole life. I've been fat and I've been skinny (5'10" and 128 at one time in my life) and skinny is better. I just want to feel better and be able to keep up with my 2-year-old great grandson. And I want to get rid of my C-pap more than anything. Just think of all the wonderful things we will be able to do in our smaller less cumbersome bodies.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Kathe

Hang in there. Don't psych yourself out about this. I am scheduled 4-14-11 with Dr. Aceves. I was originally scheduled for 8-2010, but I was injured in a fall and had to delay for a broken neck and total knee replacement. However, my daughter had this done 7-1-10, has lost 90 lbs and feels great. Watching her post-op course had been encouraging. The worst part according to her is the liquid diet for about 3 weeks after surgery. She wanted to chew something so bad!!!

Oh my heavens! Are you recuperated from the broken neck? My Mom had a total knee replacement so I know at least second hand what that is like. I'm sorry you've been through all that, but if you're ready for surgery again it seems you've done great.

I'm having mine done here in the states. My doctor hasn't done a lot of sleeves, but he's an extremely experienced and well thought of bariatric surgeon here. But I'm very lucky to have great insurance - they approved within 24-hours, no supervised diet, they've paid 100% on all the tests (and I had a lot - abdominal ultrasound, echocardiogram, upper GI, sleep study, and some blood tests) - and I'll only have a $300 co-pay for the surgery.

My goal is to get at least under 200 lbs. I haven't been there since middle school!

Virginia

Oh my heavens! Are you recuperated from the broken neck? My Mom had a total knee replacement so I know at least second hand what that is like. I'm sorry you've been through all that, but if you're ready for surgery again it seems you've done great.

I'm having mine done here in the states. My doctor hasn't done a lot of sleeves, but he's an extremely experienced and well thought of bariatric surgeon here. But I'm very lucky to have great insurance - they approved within 24-hours, no supervised diet, they've paid 100% on all the tests (and I had a lot - abdominal ultrasound, echocardiogram, upper GI, sleep study, and some blood tests) - and I'll only have a $300 co-pay for the surgery.

My goal is to get at least under 200 lbs. I haven't been there since middle school!

Virginia

Oh, yes. I am fully recovered. I was very blessed not to have been a quadriplegic, and smashing my face into the outside corner of a wall didn't make my nose any smaller either. Neither my nor my daughter's insurance would cover the cost, and when she told me she was going to Mexico I said "Are you out of your mind?!?!?" But she had done her research and got me hooked on this website and I learned a ton about the actual surgery and Dr. Aceves. I feel very comfortable with going to Mexicali. She went by herself, but she will be accompanying me because my father died very suddenly recently and she is feeling very protective of me. We are like joined at the hip since it has been just the two of us since she was 7 years old. We are also both registered nurses, so we feel like we have a handle on the surgery/hospital thing. She said the hospital in Mexicali was cleaner and more up scale than any she has seen here.

Will follow you on the site. Keep posting so I will know how you are doing. Kathe

Well, I have a surgery date, April 18. And I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. My doc's office starts you on a pre-op diet at the consult after you finish all your testing, but I got a pass because I was already down 15 pounds from the seminar 6 weeks before. However starting Monday I'm on a pretty strict high Protein, low carb diet and bariatric supplements.

I have a tendency toward anxiety and the longer I wait for surgery, the more I fret. Am I doing the right thing? Will this work for me? I can't have the bypass - I take steroids every day and would be at risk for marginal ulcers. And the band, well...I can't say I like the odds.

I'm so afraid I'm putting myself and my family through this only to fail again like I have so many times before. I'm 49 years old and I've been fat all my life, but now my health is going down hill.

Will this really work?

[/quote

YES THIS DOES WORK. I am also 49 years old. My highest weight was probably close to 250 in 2008. I had surgery Dec 1-I am currently at 168 . I have not been this low since probably 1986. I am no longer on diabetic medication and feeling great. My husband has watched my journey and was just sleeved this past Wednesday. Don't fret about the what ifs..focus on how much better you will feel and how healthy you will be. Hang in there, you will make it through this.

YES THIS DOES WORK. I am also 49 years old. My highest weight was probably close to 250 in 2008. I had surgery Dec 1-I am currently at 168 . I have not been this low since probably 1986. I am no longer on diabetic medication and feeling great. My husband has watched my journey and was just sleeved this past Wednesday. Don't fret about the what ifs..focus on how much better you will feel and how healthy you will be. Hang in there, you will make it through this.

Wow, congratulations to you and good luck to your husband. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I weighed 250 - maybe 15 years ago?

But you can't succeed without trying I guess.

Va

The sleeve works as well as you work it!

I was sleeved on 12-20 and immediately after I was like WHAT THE HECK DID I DO?!

Day three I was feeling much better and was happy again.

Today I'm 3 months post op, down 85 pounds, 28.5 inches, 13 points off my BMI and I feel AMAZING!

You're making a GREAT step to a new HEALTHIER you

Anesthesia + anything in your bowls = a really unpleasant surprise if you pass gas after you come out of anesthesia... trust me on this..... I haven't done my surgery yet, but I've had 2 in the last 2 years... my tonsils/adenoids and my gallbladder... and it can be very embarrassing!!

I agree--waiting is hard and nerve wracking. I too am scheduled for 4/18! It is just so rewarding to hear all of the success stories and be on the receiving end of all this encouragement. Hang in there and think positive thoughts! I know you will be happy once it is behind you. Don't worry if it's tough for a few days or a week afterwards--it's normal. I know one woman in our support group who had hers on a Tuesday, and by the weekend went to the grocery store on her own. She looks and feels great and is a real inspiration. Good luck! Stay in touch!