Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am struggling with this one...part of me wants to shout from the mountain tops, yet another part of me wants to keep this to myself. My husband knows, my 15 year old daughter, my parents and my one sister I am closest to.....my two boys, 11 & 13 don't know yet. I will talk to them when I have a date. I had my first consult with the surgeon today, my appt with the dietician is in 4 days and then my 2nd consult. We expect this to happen rather quickly.

I just don't know if I am ready to make it my Facebook status quite yet! :rolleyes:

Oh, and I am so excited to have found this forum!! YEAH!!

My surgery is in two weeks. I wish I had told NO one but a couple of people, although honesty is the best policy! Those who aren't supportive will drag you down and then if you have to argue/explain/justify------it's stressful when one doesn't need any more stress. I won't put mine on FB at all. ever. promise.....

I am struggling with this one...part of me wants to shout from the mountain tops, yet another part of me wants to keep this to myself. My husband knows, my 15 year old daughter, my parents and my one sister I am closest to.....my two boys, 11 & 13 don't know yet. I will talk to them when I have a date. I had my first consult with the surgeon today, my appt with the dietician is in 4 days and then my 2nd consult. We expect this to happen rather quickly.

I just don't know if I am ready to make it my Facebook status quite yet! :rolleyes:

Gusso,

I told my wife, daughters, son, brother, and a few of my friends. Please check the forum "weight loss surgery and friends", there are some interesting reply's.

As you will see, not everyone understands what you will go through. Be very careful about posting it on Facebook, personally I WOULD NOT.

Hey good luck and be well,

Lash

I just don't know if I am ready to make it my facebook status quite yet! :rolleyes:

I decided not to tell a lot of people. My body is mine and I don't want to invite the world into my stomach. However I had to tell my mother, mostly because I still live with her and there's no way to hide it. I didn't want to tell her. She's been meddling with my eating and staring at my plates since I was a little girl, counting every bite and making nasty fat jokes. But I told her and begged her to keep it quiet.

She told EVERYONE.

My high school teachers, my aunt, my cousin.

How I regret sharing it with her.

Only my husband and daughter know about mine. 4 years ago I told everyone about having the lap band surgery. That was a big mistake. When it went bad, I had to listen to everyone about how I shouldn't have gotten it. And questions like, why aren't you losing weight and etc. So I decided this time I would answer to no one but my self and it has worked out very well.

I would NEVER post it on Facebook, NEVER. Good luck with your surgery!

tryin

I TOLD ANY AND EVERYBODY WHO WANTED TO KNOW!!!! I never heard any negative feedback, only encouragement.

I told peeps, becuz I always felt soooo pissed off when I would ask people who were big how they were you losing their weight and they would come back with diet and exercise. I always thought BULL CRAP. Why can't you just tell the truth. I am not asking to be noisy, but maybe it could help me. Right then and there, I thought if I ever have WLS. I would be completely honest. So if they ask..... I tell. Plus I don't keep secrets very well. LOL.

Deb B)

At first I told no one. Than as I got closer I felt I had to tell folks as I was going to be in hospital on Thanksgiving and my family would want to know for what. I ended up telling the people at work who work in the same room as me since we don't get breaks and have to eat at our consoles, and eating out was a big thing with all of us. They were very supportive and actually used the change in ordering out as a positive for themselves in that one lady saved money and the other lady started to lose some weight as she watched me and what I eat and she incorporated better choices in her diet including a Protein shake for morning break! Of course the word spread pretty fast at work, but absolutely everyone, (but one, a hater) has been very positive and supportive. When we had a department meeting my boss asked what I could have for food since they usually buy donuts and he got me some fruit. The day of the snowstorm from hell our bosses bought us lunch because we had been working for 16 hours and they ordered pizza, but my boss asked me if I wanted something else and he bought a chicken sandwich for me.

If anyone is ever negative to me about it I am just going to ignore them because I know I have done an amazing change in my life and this is what works for me!

This is a tough one.There's definitely people in my life who wouldn't understand. I've mentioned it to some close friends and family. My parents know because we live with them and I'm counting on their support(so far, so good). My brother; I have not told and I"m not sure I will. He's recently developed type 2 diabetes and has lost a lot of weight on his own with exercise and diet. He's always had more will power than me and I don't know if he'd understand. I know my sister in law wouldn't like it, or wouldn't care but they all live with my Grandmother and I'm not telling her. She's 80 and I don't want her to worry about me.

Maybe others have not had this experience with telling people, but from what I have noticed, each person you tell will say to at least one more person "dont say anything but so and so and WLS thats the only reason they are losing weight". This does not just stand true for surgery it is true throughout life, very few people can keep a secret, either out of need to gossip, or out of jealousy. Just my opinion.

Ya, not thinking I am putting it on Facebook, was being a little sarcastic!

I too am worried about the "Debbie Downers" of the world. I really feel we need to surround ourselves with happy, supportive people, especially on this journey! 2 of my 3 sisters are ALWAYS looking for a way to knock me down. Problem is....my MOM has flappy jaw syndrome! And she needs to because I have 3 kids ages 11-15 and she and my dad are pivotal in helping with the kids while I am gone. My surgery will be 90 miles from home!

And I plan on being honest when the weight loss is noticed....but not sure about putting it out there BEFORE the surgery! I have a Caring Bridge site, I have has some major health issues in the past and have had a great support system through those that follow my site. Yet, it is also a way for the looky-loo's to snoop around!

Maybe once I have a surgery date, this might be an easier topic, right now I am still in SUCH SHOCK that it is finally happening....I started this journey 6 years ago!

Well this topic sparked a few plugs awhile back.. but what I can say is that it is your decision to tell and shout it from the rooftops or to not say a word and any in between. I personally did not tell anyone but my husband and friend. because its none of anyone's business anyways on how I'm losing weight.. its up to you in the end and there are repercussions for either way. Good luck to you on your journey. I wish u the best