Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here I am having gone through all the requirements for surgery and then the insurance company wants 6 months of documented weight loss supervision by my PCP. I got over that. Now while waiting, my blood pressure wants to be uncontrolled. MY PCP has added another BP medicine and it still is not coming down like he wanted it to. The biggest problem is the BP and medication is making me feel so bad. I just have two more monthly visits before my paperwork can be turned into my insurance company for approval. I hate this. I wanted to have surgery to improve my health. Now waiting is making it worse. Not to mention that the arthritis in my knees and shoulders is worse. I am not able to exercise as much as I would like. Just trying to bide my time until May so I can get a surgery date. So worried that they might not let me have surgery due to my BP. We have it down to the 140's/70's with two medications. My PCP said we will do what we have to do to get through surgery and then start getting off meds then. Has anyone else had this happen with their BP? I am still far out from surgery (HOPING FOR FOR A JUNE 13, SURGERY DATE).

Help, I am getting worried, sad, feel bad, want to waltz into surgery, not crawl. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Encouragement needed also. I am ready mentally for this surgery and want my sleeve so bad. I just want to get there without any bad health outcomes.

Thanks for your input.

Neanie in Texas

Hi Neanie,

I'm so sorry your BP wants to act up right now!! Gah!! I didn't necessarily have an issue with it, but my BP was right around what yours is now when I had surgery. Sometimes when you are going through stressful times, (like surgery) our BP can go up. I'm surprised they haven't taken that into account. Regardless I'm sure they are just looking out for you.

I really hope for your sake that you can get your BP controlled in time for them to give you the surgery. It's a catch 22 for you if not... you can't lose weight so it raises your blood pressure and you cant exercise properly due to the joint pain... and because you can't exercise you can't lose weight. It's awful! I can tell you this, my surgery saved my life. I used to be on 4 max doses of HBP medications for years. I got off 2 of them with my band and just recently I have been released from ALL!! Also, my joint pain has been non existent. I've been able to RUN on my treadmill... what a blessing!!

Hi Neanie,

I'm so sorry your BP wants to act up right now!! Gah!! I didn't necessarily have an issue with it, but my BP was right around what yours is now when I had surgery. Sometimes when you are going through stressful times, (like surgery) our BP can go up. I'm surprised they haven't taken that into account. Regardless I'm sure they are just looking out for you.

I really hope for your sake that you can get your BP controlled in time for them to give you the surgery. It's a catch 22 for you if not... you can't lose weight so it raises your blood pressure and you cant exercise properly due to the joint pain... and because you can't exercise you can't lose weight. It's awful! I can tell you this, my surgery saved my life. I used to be on 4 max doses of HBP medications for years. I got off 2 of them with my band and just recently I have been released from ALL!! Also, my joint pain has been non existent. I've been able to RUN on my treadmill... what a blessing!!

Thanks so much for your reply. I am really looking forward to being on the other side of this journey without high BP and no joint pain. It is really hard to imagine. All of your comments that state your outcomes really make this journey a little bit easier to get through. I can hardly wait. I am doing this surgery to have good health. I am committed to doing whatever I am told to do in order to lose the weight and get my health back. It helps to hear that someone had issues as bad or greater then your own and they are doing so well after surgery.

I am determined I will make it. Just cannot get her fast enough.

Neanie