Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incesion staples out today (day 8)

Incesion staples out today and it didn't hurt even a little bit!

If you're having second thoughts, DON'T!

Here's how my journey is going so far:

February 28th

3:30AM- Arrive at Forrest Park Medical Center

4:30AM- Weigh in, put gown on, give urine sample

5:30AM- Met with Dr. Kim, Anesthesiologists, got hooked up to IV,and put on compression socks

5:45AM- received small shot for blood thinner, and something for nausea went in IV

6:00AM- got wheeled down the hall, then I don't remember anything else after that.

9:00AM(ish)- I remember feeling cold, nurses talking, then hearing "we're taking you upstairs to your room". (Surgery didn't take that long, I was probably just in recovery until I woke up)

I remember everybody at the hospital being very nice. I was in little pain, but very confused because I thought there was NO WAY they could be done already; I was just flirting with the guy about to give me my happy shot afterall!

I was a SURGERY WARRIOR! I made the best out of every situation. I made sure and get up to walk every couple of hours since you're woken up by nurses coming in and out anyway. (Seems to be a different person every time too! 1 nurse, 1 person checking your breathing, someone else taking your blood pressure and O2 levels, etc).

Only once did I have some gas pain that landed under my diaphram. It made it dificult to take a deep breath and scared me enough that I almost hyperventilated but they calmed me down quickly.

Later that first night I felt nauseous. It terrified me because I thought if I dry heave it's going to hurt! When I leaned into the barf bag just two REAL BIG belly burps came out! I never had gas pains again!

I'm the type of person that demands happiness all around me, so I made sure to stop and talk to just about every other patient, learn their names and hear their stories. Since I was feeling so great, the people pleaser in me was more worried how everyone else was feeling, and was hoping some of my positivity would rub off. It was a win-win though as it made ME feel better making new friends to share our journey together with in the months/years ahead. (I do have a personal favorite though...you know who you are *wink, wink*)

I was "THAT GIRL"...you know the one....smiling all the time, laughing, trying to change the fashion up somewhat the best I could in a hospital gown...I even blew up a hospital glove and tied it to my IV pole!

Since I was feeling so GREAT, very little pain & minimal discomfort you could imagine my surprise when all my new friends passed their UGI swallow; and I DIDN'T! Only a minor mental setback though, I chose to stay positive. I had to stay another night because of my swelling from a hiatal hernia Dr. Kim had repaired during my surgery (which I was unaware I even had hernia).

As soon as they saw I didn't have a leak Wednesday morning and was able to sip liquids without any problems (and I'm talking a 1oz medicine cap size every 15 minutes). I then got my walk'n papers!

Every day gets better & better. I am SO GLAD I did this and have ZERO regrets.

Today I was told to EASE UP a lttle bit. (Apparantly I'm not suppose to get on a treadmill already). I was reminded STRONGLY that I am still a "surgical patient" and I will not "be released" for 6 weeks. (Aye, Aye Captain!)

Good Luck to you all and PLEASE don't be shy to ask any questions.

Incesion staples out today and it didn't hurt even a little bit!

If you're having second thoughts, DON'T!

Here's how my journey is going so far:

February 28th

3:30AM- Arrive at Forrest Park Medical Center

4:30AM- Weigh in, put gown on, give urine sample

5:30AM- Met with Dr. Kim, Anesthesiologists, got hooked up to IV,and put on compression socks

5:45AM- received small shot for blood thinner, and something for nausea went in IV

6:00AM- got wheeled down the hall, then I don't remember anything else after that.

9:00AM(ish)- I remember feeling cold, nurses talking, then hearing "we're taking you upstairs to your room". (Surgery didn't take that long, I was probably just in recovery until I woke up)

I remember everybody at the hospital being very nice. I was in little pain, but very confused because I thought there was NO WAY they could be done already; I was just flirting with the guy about to give me my happy shot afterall!

I was a SURGERY WARRIOR! I made the best out of every situation. I made sure and get up to walk every couple of hours since you're woken up by nurses coming in and out anyway. (Seems to be a different person every time too! 1 nurse, 1 person checking your breathing, someone else taking your blood pressure and O2 levels, etc).

Only once did I have some gas pain that landed under my diaphram. It made it dificult to take a deep breath and scared me enough that I almost hyperventilated but they calmed me down quickly.

Later that first night I felt nauseous. It terrified me because I thought if I dry heave it's going to hurt! When I leaned into the barf bag just two REAL BIG belly burps came out! I never had gas pains again!

I'm the type of person that demands happiness all around me, so I made sure to stop and talk to just about every other patient, learn their names and hear their stories. Since I was feeling so great, the people pleaser in me was more worried how everyone else was feeling, and was hoping some of my positivity would rub off. It was a win-win though as it made ME feel better making new friends to share our journey together with in the months/years ahead. (I do have a personal favorite though...you know who you are *wink, wink*)

I was "THAT GIRL"...you know the one....smiling all the time, laughing, trying to change the fashion up somewhat the best I could in a hospital gown...I even blew up a hospital glove and tied it to my IV pole!

Since I was feeling so GREAT, very little pain & minimal discomfort you could imagine my surprise when all my new friends passed their UGI swallow; and I DIDN'T! Only a minor mental setback though, I chose to stay positive. I had to stay another night because of my swelling from a hiatal hernia Dr. Kim had repaired during my surgery (which I was unaware I even had hernia).

As soon as they saw I didn't have a leak Wednesday morning and was able to sip liquids without any problems (and I'm talking a 1oz medicine cap size every 15 minutes-sipped). I then got my walk'n papers!

Every day gets better & better. I am SO GLAD I did this and have ZERO regrets.

Today I was told to EASE UP a lttle bit. (Apparantly I'm not suppose to get on a treadmill already). I was reminded STRONGLY that I am still a "urgical patient" and I will not "be released" for 6 weeks. (Aye, Aye Captain!)

Good Luck to you all and PLEASE don't be shy to ask any questions.

AWESOME JOB!tongue.gif Hall mate!

I miss pushing our IV racks up and down the halls together in our Runway attirecool.gif

Glad you are doing so wonderful. You are a light bulb full of energy and it doesn't surprise me you have been hitting the treadmill already.

Take Care! Can't wait to see you again. You've never seen me with makeup on..... I clean up pretty wellblink.gif

Hey, will you be attending any support groups for sleever's?

Thanks a MILLION Girlfriend! I think I really have TWO "Dr. Kims"; I remember YOU telling me to take it easy too! You're good for the soul Kim and I'm thrilled to have another Fort Worthian to hang out with.

I have to be honest and say I'm not into all that kumbaya stuff and doubt I will go to any support groups. I'm the type that doesn't want to hear about the pregnancy, just show me the baby (if that makes sense to you). I think I will do better in this type of forum however I'm not ruling it out completely. If you decide to go to one you should call to see if I wan't to ride out there with you! Hopefully you still have my card but you can always find me through www.KellySchipper.com .

Your upbeat and positive attitude is infectious! I can only hope mine is the same come time for my surgery!