Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I am new to this particular site. I have had a lapband for 2 and 1/2 years now and it hasn't turned out like I thought it would. I know that some people have had the band to sleeve surgery and have had terrific results. I had to pay for my band surgery myself and really don't have the money to have the band out and the sleeve procedure done. Just a dream right now. Where is the surgery done? How much does it cost? More or less to have band to sleeve done. Any suggestions on paying for this procedure (I've thought about becoming a bank robber.... but I'm an honest citizen.... jk.... kinda). Any help/suggestions/advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Becky

I have heard of some people using their tax money cashing out some 401K or you could get a medical loan. Cost depends on where you go? Where do you live (live near)? Are you wanting to stay in the US or are you willing to travel to Mexico? I do not know about revision costs but other sleevers on this site might have those answers for you.

I am using some tax money and personal saving to get the procedure done!!! I got a discount rate because I booked within a certain time frame! I am paying $4500 I am traveling to Mexico to get the procedure done! Everything is included in the rate expect for airfare and the hotel stay the day before sx! Everything else is covered!!!

I have heard of some people using their tax money cashing out some 401K or you could get a medical loan. Cost depends on where you go? Where do you live (live near)? Are you wanting to stay in the US or are you willing to travel to Mexico? I do not know about revision costs but other sleevers on this site might have those answers for you.

I am using some tax money and personal saving to get the procedure done!!! I got a discount rate because I booked within a certain time frame! I am paying $4500 I am traveling to Mexico to get the procedure done! Everything is included in the rate expect for airfare and the hotel stay the day before sx! Everything else is covered!!!

Thank you both very much for taking time to respond to my post. Your information is very helpful!!

Hi...your case is similar to many nowadays. When the lapband peaked a few years back, many people jumped at the opportunity of losing large amounts of weight. The thing is, that many people were not happy with their results...either because of the technique, or the side effects.

In comes the gastric sleeve...

As a physician, I recommend the sleeve to many of my patients. It is a relatively safe procedure that involves minimal recuperation time, and best of all, it's 'there' for life. No constant adjustments. The only change is that your body and brain have to readjust to a smaller stomach size. We have performed many of these surgeries, and the truth is that our patients are very happy with their results. They enjoy the fact that there is minimal pain after the surgery, and that they can resume their routine activities faster than many imagine.

Summing it all up...many patients want to ditch the band and switch to the sleeve. Many patients can have it during the same procedure, and others need to have it at another time. This is less than ideal for many people, but remember that your health is at stake and NO unnecessary risks should be taken...NONE! Like many people have suggested, some patients have used their tax return, while others use the many surgery-loan centers available. We perform these procedures in Mexico at a fraction of the cost, and there are also other places with great surgeons. The important thing is to do this at a place that inspires confidence and reliability.

Best of luck!

Dr. Jorge Serrano

jorge.serrano@bajamedgroup.com

www.bajamedgroup.com

Hi. I am new to this particular site. I have had a lapband for 2 and 1/2 years now and it hasn't turned out like I thought it would. I know that some people have had the band to sleeve surgery and have had terrific results. I had to pay for my band surgery myself and really don't have the money to have the band out and the sleeve procedure done. Just a dream right now. Where is the surgery done? How much does it cost? More or less to have band to sleeve done. Any suggestions on paying for this procedure (I've thought about becoming a bank robber.... but I'm an honest citizen.... jk.... kinda). Any help/suggestions/advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Becky

From what I read, not all doctors perform band-to-sleeve surgery, and those who do don't remove the lap band. They leave it there and drain all the fluids from it, to make it inactive, and perform the sleeve.

I'm glad I don't live in The States, we have universal health care (Israel). Problem is my country really tries to be American and our governments have been draining the budgets from the national health plans. A lot of people who choose to go through bariatric surgeries pay for them with private health insurance. I have to wait in long wait lists because all the privately-insured people are using the same surgeons as everyone and pay extra for faster queues.