Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Sleevers

Just got home from the best surgical Centers i've ever had to stay at. Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas. Was sleeved on Monday, no pain just tired from not sleeping. I plan on getting lots of rest for the next few days.

Surgery was a breeze.... my Dr. was very happy with my pre-diet results. Said liver was so small he hardly noticed it. biggrin.gif

He warned me not to weight but I did it any way.... been on nothing but IV drip and Water for last couple days and I weight 8 lbs more than I did when I checked in. tongue.gif That too shall pass along with lots of gas and pee.

My Dr. (Dr. Gregory Barnes) in Dallas managed my pain really well. I'm not hungry but I do need to get down some of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Soup for Protein.

Don't think i would feel like flying today.... not sure how you guys that travel to Mexico do it. It's not pain but just over all tiredness.

Met several really great people at the Surgical Center (Hey Kelly, what up?) also had awesome nurses.

not sure what details people want to know... just ask and i will try to address your question.

Thanks for all your support!

Kim

Glad to see that you are doing alright!

Glad it went so well. Just remember to be constantly sipping your fluids!

Hey Kim,

It's your other March (even though you were 2/28) sleeve buddy. I go in tomorrow and I'm so glad to see that you are doing well and that everything turned out fine. How is the pain level? Are you able to get around and walk? Does your new tummy feel weird? It's so funny knowing that a few days ago when I talked to you, you were unsleeved and now you are sleeved. I'm so happy for you and that your journey has begun. I swore to myself that I would not weigh myself until two weeks out, we will see how that goes. I go in tomorrow at 6:30am, so wish me luck and I'm sure I'll talk to you after then. I can't wait for us both to be on the loser's bench! Keeping you in my prayers!

Glad things went well for you!!! Little pain is really exciting for me to hear. As I count down the days until my surgery (3/8).

I would imagine there is always weight gain with the IV fluids. Keep us posted on how you are feeling.

QueenBee

Kim, so glad your surgery went SO well!!! Thanks for sharing your experience at Forest Park....that's where I'll be on Tuesday! I was a little nervous since it's such a new facility, but you have reassured me! So, is there a whole floor just for weight loss surgery patients post-op? Did you walk the halls? Were the rooms as nice as in the pictures? Tell us everything! LOL....thanks again for sharing! Praying your recovery will be quick!

I have been looking for a post from you, since you were the first of us 'Marchers' to go! Glad to hear that things went well. I can't wait til next week when I join you on the loses bench!!!

Hey Kim,

It's your other March (even though you were 2/28) sleeve buddy. I go in tomorrow and I'm so glad to see that you are doing well and that everything turned out fine. How is the pain level? Are you able to get around and walk? Does your new tummy feel weird? It's so funny knowing that a few days ago when I talked to you, you were unsleeved and now you are sleeved. I'm so happy for you and that your journey has begun. I swore to myself that I would not weigh myself until two weeks out, we will see how that goes. I go in tomorrow at 6:30am, so wish me luck and I'm sure I'll talk to you after then. I can't wait for us both to be on the loser's bench! Keeping you in my prayers!

pain is minimal. I did a lot of walking at the hospital. The first walk is the worst but the nurse or tech will be with you. I actually went for a walk around the floor i was on every time I got up to go potty. At first you will have to ask for assistance to go anywhere because you will have massaging socks on that have to be turned off and disconnected before you can move about.

By the next morning everyone that had had surgery the morning before all had to go have their leak test x-ray/GI. This is very easy. You will be given a small amount of Fluid (not bad not good but NOT chalky) they will take a few xrays then you go back and they will discuss what all you can have to drink. Only one person in my group did not pass and it was due to hernia repair that was still swollen.

My tummy is still very gassy and swollen so I just feel pregnant. Be sure to take lose fitting clothes to go home in. I had a cute PJ set that i wore home with elastic waist.

I've heard people talk about swallowing and wondered what that was about. Never ever experienced any issues with swallowing. My Dr. let me have small (very small) amounts of Water the day of my surgery (I can't do ice my teeth are to sensitive) and I never had any issue with swallowing the fluids.

you will probably go home in late afternoon or early evening the day after your surgery. I got to stay two nights because I was self pay and that cost covered two nights.

Just remember when you take your first walk.... (you won't be in pain as much as just woozy and tired) that every walk gets easier and easier. I tried to walk at least 15 min durations and I never had the dreaded gas pains in the shoulder. And like I said, every time I went to the potty I made myself go walk. The first night I was wide awake.

You will do great. Make sure you take your gas-x (or something like it) when you get home.

Also, take a pillow if you have a favorite. Hospital pillows are not the best.

Glad things went well for you!!! Little pain is really exciting for me to hear. As I count down the days until my surgery (3/8).

I would imagine there is always weight gain with the IV fluids. Keep us posted on how you are feeling.

QueenBee

Will do.... so far i'm just tired and my belly is very swollen and gassy.

Kim, so glad your surgery went SO well!!! Thanks for sharing your experience at Forest Park....that's where I'll be on Tuesday! I was a little nervous since it's such a new facility, but you have reassured me! So, is there a whole floor just for weight loss surgery patients post-op? Did you walk the halls? Were the rooms as nice as in the pictures? Tell us everything! LOL....thanks again for sharing! Praying your recovery will be quick!

The place was the best... all the employees really like their job and it shows. If you get a nurse named Will you must tell him Kim said hi. (remind him my son is in the Navy) Will was a Marine.

Yes.. the floor is mostly WLS with a few Hernia's. We all look like walking zombies walking the hall with our IV rolling racks. ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE. They do not let you change out of your surgical gown so take a robe and some panties to cover your back side when walking. I had a simple thin cotton robe that worked great and I took several pair of panties because (TMI ALERT) some times when you are trying to pass the gas you may piddle a little and wish for some clean undies.

Our group was very social so we would go visit each other in our rooms etc. the nurses said that was a little unusual but 2 of us were from this forum and we found each other quickly and became walking buddies. There will also be men on this floor so another good reason to make sure the rear end is covered.

The rooms are every bit as nice as the pictures and yes i walked the halls. this place is very clean. the nurses station is in the middle so you will always pass them. All the nurses work a 12 hr shifts from 7 - 7.

When you arrive your family will be given a restaurant style flashing pager that the hospital will use to let your family know they are needed. My husband was allowed to sit with me in pre-op after I was changed into my surgical gown. You will have lots of people come visit with you to go over everything with you then you get that magic iv push and off you go.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I still fresh with thoughts...biggrin.gif

Thanks so much for all the helpful info. It's 15 minutes until I have to stop drinking liquids. I think I may have another popsicle, lol! Wish me luck and I'll talk to you soon from the loser's bench!

Did you wake up with a tube down your throat? My pre-op nurse said that could happen and I instantly panicked inside. My surgery is March 14. It is really great to hear how good you did!! :) Congrats on your new tummy!

Did you wake up with a tube down your throat? My pre-op nurse said that could happen and I instantly panicked inside. My surgery is March 14. It is really great to hear how good you did!! :) Congrats on your new tummy!

They do put a tube down the throat to assist breathing during surgery but I have never woken from a surgery with that tube still in my throat so, to answer you question NO, it was long gone before waking. Other hospitals my do it differently but i've personally never experienced that before.

good luck and let me know if you have any further questions. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the shout out! (I hope that doesn't count towards my 15 minutes of fame though)- hee hee

I can ditto just about everything you've posted here. I've had a great experience and hope that others reading will be as social too and meet new friends in the hallways as we did. I am very much looking forward to staying connected with you ~ I think you're AWESOME!