Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slider foods question

I am two months out and not sure if I've really experienced a true slider food for me. I can eat a piece of toast but it still makes me full, it just means I can have more of that than a piece of chicken or ham.

But from what some people have said about certain things like chocolate, popcorn, ice-cream etc, it almost gave me an impression that the feeling of restriction is not very much there and I'm worried how I will cope with those foods.

I'm scared I will eat a bit of a cookie and will be able to eat 5 or 6 in one go or be able to binge on all sorts of cakes and candy (even though this is not my intention and I fear this)

I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone but I remember this stuck in my head after reading a few stories about people being able to carry on eating certain things with almost no restriction and that worried me. I was always a junk eater, and even though I'm eating so healthily now, I don't want to lose control and I fear slider foods so much, I think my stomach will let it all pass through.

I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like calorie laden milkshakes and ice cream but surely this must make people feel quite sick to sip on these things?

I am 3 months out, and I haven't really noticed a complete slider food. I have had popcorn, and although I can eat more of it than other foods, I still get full....it is not like I have a never ending feeling of emptiness and never get full. Same with ice cream. I can eat a little more of it then something denser, but I still get full. I am not sure what others experiences are, but those are mine. Oh, and Cookies make me really, really full...I mean one cookie and I am done! I think it is going to be different for everyone.

We have so many fears.... all along this journey. Its weird how used to failure we all are.

I was a binge eater before surgery. I would do pretty good all week but then I would eat massive amounts of food on the weekends. It was my coping... my a way to self sooth and manage my lonliness. I have had a few 2 "binges" since surgery. The first one... in hindsight... I think I was just testing the limits. I ate a good number of calories accross the day... lots of sliders etc. I consumed a fraction of the calories I did in a pre surger binge and I felt absolutly awful. For the next three days food just sounded abhorant to me (I am a food lover like you have never seen... food NEVER seemed abhorant to me in the past).

Binge number 2 was a real live binge... with all the accompanying out of control feelings. I ate icecream and Cookies.... I was doubled over with what I can only attribute to be a "dumping" syndrome of sorts. Sweating nauseaus etc. I will NEVER do that again.

Bottom line... even though sliders go down pretty good... binges just dont have the same reinforcing value they used to. Also... the weight loss is so motivating that it really helps you stay on track. I have looked for other ways to nurture and self sooth... hot baths... a little wine with friends...a message.... aroma therapy.

Being thinner has given me alot more confidence now too.... so I'm dating someone and I spend much less time alone thinking about eating and much more time out living my life.

I know its scary... but this process really is amazing... even for those of us with serious eating disturbances.

good luck

stacey

I do feel restriction with slider foods. For example, when I had ice cream a few times while on vacation last week, I couldn't finish a "regular" cup from Haagen Dazs - I could eat about 1/2-2/3 of it and that's it. A lot of it is not just the volume but also the richness of this particular food, though. But 2/3 of a cup of ice cream is very unlikely to make me feel uncomfortable, whereas 2/3 cup of dry grilled chicken breast might, so I guess that's what makes it a "slider food."

What is slider food?

Slider food is food that goes down so easy without causing too much restriction and you can eat lots of it. . . some examples are cake, ice creams, chips, toast, anything basically that has high carbs in it. . . be really careful around those things

While it is true that some foods go down easy, especially carb laden foods like wheat thins, or a cookie,, or potato chiops if you binge you will get restriction still but you get more of the food in before that happens as it does with Protein dense foods like chicken or beef.

Remember all our meals and Snacks should be based on Protein.

So far since my surgery in Nov I have one Christmas cookie and one day there were wheat thins at work I had about a hand full before I got restriction.

I felt guilty as it is my goal to stay away from carbs during the losing phase. Remember the sleeve is just a tool,, not a cure to end all bad habits. We still have to make conscious choices to eat right.

Every so often when I get the urge to much I think about the surgery and that I did not go through that to just eat myself around it. When I want to satisfy the crunch I go for a pickle or apple instead of the old bad foods.

I don't keep any carb food in the house so that makes it easier not to give in. There has been ice cream in my freezer since my Dec for grand daughters bday and I have had no desire to eat it. I find myself craving greek yogurt instead of the sweet treat now.

When I go out I tell the waitstaff to not put any bread on the table and if what I order comes with bread or potatoes I tell them not to bring it to the table. Having an appetizer of any sorts will ruin your out to eat experience as by the time your entree gets there you are basically full and then you have the disappointment of not having any room to eat.

So when I am out with a group of folks and they want bread I just have them set it on their side of the table and if they want an appietiezer I will take one of what ever it is and make it last till my entree gets there. I prefer eating out with realitives as they dont mind sharing with me and that that works out hunger and money wise.

I have been very open with my friends and co workers about my surgery and I think that keeps me in check when it comes to temptations because I know they all know my restrictions of bread and i have to start with protein for my meals, so I really think they would call me on it if I started eating the bad stuff again.