Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic indigestion

I had my surgery 16 days ago. When whenever I eat, unless it's clear liquid or yogurt, I get indigestion. For an hour after I eat, no matter how finely pureed, chewed, soft, or whatever it is, or how small the bite, or how many times I chew, I get horrible indigestion that feels like I have to throw up. Everything feels like it's stuck in my chest, not even in my stomach. I still have to walk around, and a half hour after I eat when I'm able to drink I can push it down it bit, but it stays stuck for a good hour. My girlfriend usually has to rub or pat my back until I can burp, then I feel better - I feel like an infant.

How long does this horrible side effect last? I have to eat, but the indigestion is so bad it makes me not want to eat at all!

Are you on any type of PPI? I was taking Nexium and just recently switched to Prilosec OTC. Also I found that I had issues when I was eating to fast even if it was small bites. Put the fork/spoon down after every bite. This was the hardest thing I had to learn and somedays I still forget. Hang in there, it will get better.

Are you on any type of PPI? I was taking Nexium and just recently switched to Prilosec OTC. Also I found that I had issues when I was eating to fast even if it was small bites. Put the fork/spoon down after every bite. This was the hardest thing I had to learn and somedays I still forget. Hang in there, it will get better.

I'm on Nexium. Maybe I should switch to prilosec. I'll also try putting the fork down. I'm desperate because this is awful!

It also kind of sounds like your stomach might not be ready for mushy foods just yet. I was starting full liquids at your stage, and I understand every program is different but your body might not be ready for thicker foods.

Are you taking the Nexium on an empty stomach and waiting a minimum of 30 minutes before eating, or eating and then waiting 3 hours before taking the Nexium? You might it twice a day until your stomach adjusts as well if your surgeon will approve twice daily dosing.

It also kind of sounds like your stomach might not be ready for mushy foods just yet. I was starting full liquids at your stage, and I understand every program is different but your body might not be ready for thicker foods.

Are you taking the Nexium on an empty stomach and waiting a minimum of 30 minutes before eating, or eating and then waiting 3 hours before taking the Nexium? You might it twice a day until your stomach adjusts as well if your surgeon will approve twice daily dosing.

With my program I am on the puree foods until Wednesday, then I go to soft foods. I only have to be puree foods until Tuesday. As much as I hate eating at this point, I wonder if I'll ever be able to go to soft foods! This crap is annoying. I'm not really paying attention to how I take the nexium. I'm going to start paying more attention to it tomorrow. I just take it in the morning with my other meds and Protein shake.

With my program I am on the puree foods until Wednesday, then I go to soft foods. I only have to be puree foods until Tuesday. As much as I hate eating at this point, I wonder if I'll ever be able to go to soft foods! This crap is annoying. I'm not really paying attention to how I take the nexium. I'm going to start paying more attention to it tomorrow. I just take it in the morning with my other meds and Protein shake.

That's what I'm saying that even the pureed foods could be too much for your tummy. I promise I understand "programs". I was supposed to be on regular food by 6 weeks out, well I stayed on mushies for nearly 3 months with a few meals of "regular food" maybe once or twice a week because I couldn't hit Protein goals without eating chicken salad/tuna salad/egg salad consistency stuff until I was much further out. Plus, Protein shakes made me puke therefore I had to get protein from food. What was more important? Getting in protein, and solid nutrition, or puking up food that my body wasn't ready for, or not being able to eat decent amounts of regular food because my body wasn't ready? You're body is talking to you, and pretty much saying "hey, I don't like this, but I like that other stuff".

You were doing good on what is considered full liquids with yogurt, so cottage cheese, sugar free puddings are "less dense" than purees, and your body might just not be ready. It happens a lot, and is a recurring theme amongst post-ops that have diets that progress faster. You will be able to eat soft food and even regular food, but at the same time, think about what your stomach just went through a little more than 2 weeks ago. It's still pretty pissed off and confused about what you've done to it, and now you're putting food in there that obviously isn't agreeing with it's new upset, swollen, traumatized state. The swelling gets better, and eating gets easier, but 16 days is way early out, and your body is different than mine or anyone else that is on your surgeon's program. Sometimes, these things just take time, and some tweaking on our part.

I would recommend taking the Nexium with just Water, wait 60 minutes to ingest anything other than Water. This will give the Nexium time to get in your system considering it a time-released medication before you dump food, or a shake in your stomach. The proton pumps start producing acid as soon as thick stuff hits our stomachs. So, if we don't give it enough time, it's not going to work at maximum efficacy.

This little blurb is directly from the Nexium manufacturer "HOW to take Nexium" website:

How should I take Nexium?

Take Nexium exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.

Nexium is usually given for 4 to 8 weeks only. Your doctor may recommend a second course of treatment if you need additional healing time.

Take each dose with a full glass (8 ounces) of water. Nexium should be taken at least one hour before a meal.

You may open the delayed-release capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a spoonful of pudding or applesauce to make swallowing easier. Swallow this mixture right away without chewing. Do not save the mixture for later use. Discard the empty capsule.

Nexium can be given through a nasogastric (NG) feeding tube. Open the capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a 60-milliliter syringe. Mix in 50 milliliters of water. Place the plunger into the syringe and shake the mixture well. Make sure there are no medicine granules stuck in the tip of the syringe. Attach the syringe to the NG tube and push the plunger down to empty the syringe into the tube. Then flush the tube with more water to wash the contents down.

Take Nexium for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the condition is fully treated. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse while you are taking this medicine.

Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

I took Prilosec before switching over to Nexium in January this year, and the Prilosec directions read the same. To wait a full hour before eating anything. It could also take several days for to fully kick in if you have not taking it on an empty stomach every day. I'm nearly 21 months out, and still take my nexium religiously without fail, and never suffered from reflux.

The getting stuck feeling you described really sounds more like what happens when your body just isn't ready for food of that certain consistency that's why I brought that up just for consideration.

@ Tiffykins - thanks for all the info. I had decided yesterday after the hellacious night I had that I was eating Soup today. I notice though when I only try to do full liquids, I'm hungry. Plus I have to ingest more to get the Protein. At least with the puree I'm in pain, but I'm not hungry . I guess it's a little heavier so I'm satied. Granted after about 4 bites I'm pretty satied anyway, but with liquids, I'm hungry again about an hour later. I guess I'm afraid of "overeating" with the liquids, even though I'm only getting in about 4 - 6 oz at a time, depending on how thick it is. I'm going to pay attention to how I'm taking the Nexium and try staying on the full liquids for a little longer to see if that helps. I just wish I could burp on my own. Yesterday, it seemed that drinking Water before I ate, was the only thing that made me burp, but that was more of a hunger thing.

I swear, it seems like as soon as I get one stage of this sleeve figured out, it's time to be on the next stage and then I'm back to square one. Yes, I'm losing weight, but this thing is so frustrating. My body doesn't seem to be cooperating with the 'rules' that I'm supposed to follow. I'm afraid winging it is going to do some damage or I'm going to undo everything that I learned over the course of the pre-op. There's a support group meeting on Tuesday, I'm definitely going. I'm so confused about this damn thing!