Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My intro. story and some questions. :+)

I started out actually over 16 years ago on my journey to having weight loss surgery. It has been an uphill battle all the way. I had to hire the obesity lawyers from Cali. at one point to try to help me. That's the long story made very, very short lol.

So I had to go through all the rigmarole involved in all of this, and finally got approved for the surgery on Feb. 17th, 2011. The kicker of all of it was, I had had a hernia repaired with mesh about 5 years ago and my surgeon didn't know if he would actually be able to do the gastric bypass on me or not. That was the surgery I had wanted. He said he would try to do the bypass, but if the mesh had caused a muck up inside, he would have to do the sleeve instead and that would be my only option of surgery. Well the sleeve is not covered by my insurance, so my only option then was to go through the entire pre-surg. prep, actually be cut open and if unable to do the bypass, he was just going to sew me shut and send me home. Of course I was devastated by this news to say the least. I wouldn't even know what had happened until I woke up.

So as you can tell by the title of my blog here, I got the sleeve done anyway lol. My doctor and the Hospital agreed to do the sleeve anyway knowing it wasn't covered. I had been sent an angel!! So now I'm 8 days after the surgery and doing great. I'm a bit sore in one spot on my belly and it's giving me the most fits, but otherwise this was nothing near what I thought it would be, and I couldn't be happier. So the sore spot is what's causing me to speed through this blog intro. right now lol. It hurts to sit here and do this.

I have a question for you all if you don't mind however? I was at the doctors and the nutrit. office a couple days ago. I found out I was still following the first couple days of my diet and not getting any of the Protein, so I'm wondering if that will have any thing to do with what I'm questioning? But the Nutrit. commented that I'd only lost 4 lbs since she'd seen me two weeks prior and that she felt something was going wrong already. I saw her during the start of week 2 of the pre-surg. liquid diet. Now I'm all freaked out that the surgery is a failure and I don't know what to think. What speed should I be looking at for weight loss right now and how much weight should I have lost? I know these are questions I should have asked her, but I had just had my JP pulled and I was still freaked about that lmao and I just didn't think about it right then. Does the sleeve always work and is it as good as the gastric bypass?

I would so appreciate hearing what you all have to say about what's going on and what I should be expecting. And thank you so much for your time. :D

I haven't had surgery yet, so my advice is a bit silly, but you just got sleeved, I'd concentrate on making sure you get your fluids first and foremost. I don't see a failure here, they want you to have enough Protein to keep muscle mass and your hair, but it's only been a few days. I'm glad you got the Sleeve, I'd stay big over messing up my innards that much! Your body just had a shock. If your not mainlining milkshakes your bound to lose! Others will give better advice than me!

Well first of all it is really important to stay hydrated. Second when you get all your hydration in you have to start getting Protein in around 60 grams or so. Everyone is different and loses at different rates. You maybe are losing weight slow and you will take off soon. Make sure you are not getting too many carbs in..As sleevers carbs are really our enemies and it is the best way for us not to lose weight. The biggest thing don't accept failure so soon you have to have faith in what you are doing. If you are getting too many carbs try to stay aroun 50-75 and the weight will fall..good luck

I have a question for you all if you don't mind however? I was at the doctors and the nutrit. office a couple days ago. I found out I was still following the first couple days of my diet and not getting any of the Protein, so I'm wondering if that will have any thing to do with what I'm questioning? But the Nutrit. commented that I'd only lost 4 lbs since she'd seen me two weeks prior and that she felt something was going wrong already. I saw her during the start of week 2 of the pre-surg. liquid diet. Now I'm all freaked out that the surgery is a failure and I don't know what to think. What speed should I be looking at for weight loss right now and how much weight should I have lost? I know these are questions I should have asked her, but I had just had my JP pulled and I was still freaked about that lmao and I just didn't think about it right then. Does the sleeve always work and is it as good as the gastric bypass?

I would so appreciate hearing what you all have to say about what's going on and what I should be expecting. And thank you so much for your time. :D

Hello Miss Nina!!

Welcome to the rest of your life! :)

Wow, you know I wish your Nut wouldn't have said it quite the way she did. We all already feel like failures enough without feeling worse at every turn. I personally think *any* loss in your first week is good. Some folks actually gain some weight, because of the surgery, healing and IV fluids... so that is just incredible she felt the need to tell you that. That makes me a bit upset actually.

The speed you should be looking for is any kind of loss. Everyone is different as far as rates of loss. Some are all over the map like me. I'll go a few weeks with little to nothing, then bam I'll lose 5-6 Lbs a week for a few more weeks. I really don't stress on it too much. The only way I'll open my eyes to what's going on is if I go more than 3 weeks with no loss... then I'm on it. Otherwise I continue on with my plan and keep rolling along. I cherish every pound I lose, because I know those are Lbs gone FOREVER!!! I'll never weigh what I weigh right now again. I just would not find it possible, because I've changed too much from where I started and I know better in a lot of ways.

So far from what I've seen is absolutely yes, the sleeve *always* works. I'm not the fastes loser here by any stretch, but there are some who lose slower than me too. But, ya know what...??? They *are* losing, and they also admit they wouldn't be able to do it without the sleeve too. So, yes the sleeve is that one little miracle you were looking for. I know it's too late to go back now, your stomach is gone - but I wouldn't even dream of having any regrets simply because of what you Nut told you. Hang in there, give it some time and believe in yourself and in the program. My advice would be if she continues to be mentally debilitating to your progress you would be better off finding another. I would have to just sit her down and start with "we need to talk...". There's no way I'll let anyone dictate to me how I'm doing with my journey *but ME*!!! Anyone else can go kick rocks, for real! As for me and my sleeve, we are doing fine. ;)

Now for your last question, on what to expect. Just expect to continue to lose at your own pace, as long as you follow the regimen. What I do is make sure I get all my Protein in which is usually 2-3 oz of lean meat, and a little bit of veggies and maybe a bite or 2 of good carbs. That's a typical meal for me, and one I'm very comfortable with. I'm losing with it, along with my workout routine and my positive outlook... nothings gonna stop me ever again from being the best I can be.

Wishing you the best, and as always, if you need anything let me know or simply start a new thread. There's always tons of experienced folks here who go out of their way to spend a little time to help the newly sleeved out.

I love this place!!!

:)

Yes to what Diva said. I retained IV fulid so badly the first week (and took a while to get rid of it) that my surgeon made me get an ultrasound of my swollen leg because he was worried I had a blood clot! It is surprising that your nutritionist would suggest something was already going wrong. I too was shocked to read her comments. Like Diva said, everyone loses at a difference pace. I'm happy with my loss but starting in month 3 and continuing to the present, I lose 10 or so pounds really quickly and then stall for 2-3 weeks and then lose another 10 pounds really quickly and then stall 3 weeks, etc. It's frustrating but it's coming off. It's a journey, with layovers and detours -- not a straight line from surgery to goal. Best wishes. You know you can come here for support if the nutritionist gets discouraging again.

Everybody is different, the first week out of surgery I gained 7 lbs I was shocked because I was on liquid and only having like 400 calories a day but when I went for my second appoints and stepped on the scale I had lost 31 lbs or net loss of 24. I was so happy I teared up a bit.

Now I realize men lose fast, i'm young, and I had a lot more to lose that's why I say everyone is different.

Just stick with it follow the doctors plans, eat your Protein, drink your Water, and exercise and you too will probably have that WOW! moment...

Do yourself a favor and don't get on the scale. IV fluids make you gain. Concentrate on healing and nuturing yourself. You have been through a lot and don't need to be hard on yourself. That comment was insensitive and unprofessional. It's not like you were at freaking Burger King!!!!!!!

YOU WILL DO GREAT!! :rolleyes:

Thank you so much, all of you, for your comments and words of advice and knowledge shared. lmao and you're right about my Nut.( lol I love that btw). She has been kind of discouraging so far with me. She seems to like to find things to reprimand me for even when I've done everything letter perfect, and I had lost a total of 33 lbs on the pre-surg. liquid diet, and I thought that was pretty darn good for two weeks?

As far as fluids are concerned, I'm able to get lots in. I have yet to ever feel full, which also concerns me. Thank you for the carb. advice too. Do you know they have me watching only cals. and Proteins, but not carbs.

I think this is going to become my sleeve happy place when I'm able to hang out for longer periods of time on the puter lol.

So thank you again so much!

Don't worry about not feeling full while on liquids--they just go right through your sleeve. Wait until you start on real food and then you will feel full.