Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experience with VG.

Anthony you are great to share this info!

If I have to lose my band, or if I am not pleased after a year and a half out, I am comitted to have an alternate surgery to address this weight issue.

It really helps to hear other peoples experiences!

I hear about this V.G. after band removal and I am very curious as to what it is. I had my band out in Aug 05 and banded again in Jan06, I was never told about this V.G.

I have a question on the possibility of a later conversion to DS and/or the two-stage thing.

The DS stomach is about 4-6 ounces. The RnY--and apparently the VG--stomach is only 1-2 ounces.

From my understanding of the matter, the stomach stretches and grows rather quickly after both procedures, which is why the VG makes the stomach in the 2-3oz range. This size would be impractical in the long run.

From what I have been told, the stomach of an average VG patient should be anywhere between 4-16oz in the long run, depending on the person. The same thing happens with DS patients.

Most VG patients who need additional weight loss can convert to RnY or DS easily.

Anthony-

I had the V.B.G. last may. It sounds and looks a lot like the photo for the V.G.? Do you have staples and a non-adjustable band. That is what I have it is like a permanent band that can not be adjusted and I also have staples. I do not have the sleeve. I had my surgery in May, 2005. I have lost 121 lbs. so far. What awful side effects are you aware of with the V.B.G.?

Thanks,

Dee

What's the cost for the VG sleeve? Can you have the surgery in Mexico or Europe?

Thanks

What's the cost for the VG sleeve? Can you have the surgery in Mexico or Europe?

Thanks

It costs about $16,000 in the US.

I'd imagine that you could have it done in other countries. :rolleyes:

It's pretty afordable in the US. It is done in Mexico by some docs and in Europe as well. If you're interested in Europe, look at Dr. Baltasar in Spain. He's done the most... and is one of the originators of the VSG as a stand-alone procedure. He also has impecible credentials.

It's done in Brazil as well by Dr. Marchenisi (?sp...check www.duodenalswitch.com for correct spelling and website.)

If you go the VSG message board/forum on Obesity Help you can find a list of surgeons. There are also FAQs at http://www.beadbaker.com/VSG/

THanks for sharing your experience Anthony! The VG definitely sounds like an option that I could hang with... I am struggling in regards to possibly having my band removed and hearing the positives of your surgery really gives me hope that there might be an effective alternative. I hope you will continue to updat on your progress from time to time. :) Congratulations on your success!

Just an update. Last week I weighed in at 213. I am now regaining enough energy to exercise regularly and maintain my previously physical intensive hiking and gym schedule.

Dumping is next to non existent.

I am 13 pounds from my original set goal of 200, but I may be able to lose down to 180 with some serious training.

Once this hellish SoCal heat dies down, I'm sure I'll be at my goal in no time.

P.S. This lack of physical hunger is amazing!

Anthony - Im SO glad you came and updated. Thanks!

Im just a little concerned over why youre just now getting enough energy to exercise regularly? Its been 5 months since this sugery... you been sick or something?

Simply put, lack of calories=lack of energy. More specifically, I think low intake of "real foods" (rather than Protein shakes)equals lower energy levels.

According to LapSF, it can take up to 2 years for people to adjust to WLS level calorie intake, regardless of the surgery type.

I experienced the same effect for about the first 3 months of having the band.