Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days out sleeve not very restrictive?

Hi-

10 days out of surgery and I find that the sleeve is not very restrictive...it is very subtle.

Is something wrong here? I expected a more dramatic change.

Most of the time I don't want food, not hungry or tempted. But when I do eat, I can slip past the 4 oz. "limit" without

feeling full...that comes in 5+ minutes or so. Is this the way it is?

( I know, eat slowly etc...but it doesn't feel very different than before the sleeve.

I am really confused.

I can eat more than 4 oz. easily-I thought this wouldn't happen.

Anyone had this too?

I don't want to start out on the wrong foot...

Thanks.

I'm only 12 days out and feel the same way. Others have told me it's slider food that go down easier. But i'm worried too. Hopefully when wer go to real good we will see a difference.

I am 32 days out. The liquid stage is pretty "easy" to get through. But trust me when you all have that first egg (or half of it) you will know your sleeve is there. I was glad that I could "drink" more than I expected. You have to stay hydrated and at 4 oz at a time, it take a good amount of energy..

Anna is right! Plus, whatever you are eating or drinking do it SLOW! Give it time to hit and fill your tummy. If I eat fast I can pack it down then when it hits OMG I'm STUFFED but when I eat slow I don't eat as much! I'm six weeks out and go for my check up today!

16 days out, I just started pureed food. I say: wait until you get there. With liquids I had the same thoughts: why can I drink so much etc. I even thought: "Maybe they didn't cut anything off! I was asleep, who knows?". Warm broth was going down so fine, so did nice and warm cream Soup or herbal tea.

Then it was time for pureed food, so I took my tuna, my tiny little boiled potato, some skimmed milk and made something that resambled baby food: that's when I realized I had the sleeve: it doesn't go down. I can't have more than 4 teaspoons. I just feel SO full. (I found baby food delicious, so it wasn't a question of quality of food).

In the afternoon I have to have my Protein Shake so that I don't pass out.They go down well, I love my Protein Shakes. But the food... That's where I am stuck!

16 days out, I just started pureed food. I say: wait until you get there. With liquids I had the same thoughts: why can I drink so much etc. I even thought: "Maybe they didn't cut anything off! I was asleep, who knows?". Warm broth was going down so fine, so did nice and warm cream Soup or herbal tea.

Then it was time for pureed food, so I took my tuna, my tiny little boiled potato, some skimmed milk and made something that resambled baby food: that's when I realized I had the sleeve: it doesn't go down. I can't have more than 4 teaspoons. I just feel SO full. (I found baby food delicious, so it wasn't a question of quality of food).

In the afternoon I have to have my Protein shake so that I don't pass out.They go down well, I love my Protein shakes. But the food... That's where I am stuck!

Hi E,

What Protein Shakes are you drinking that are so delicious?

Ps: Dr Kelly is going to get me some of those Gas strips things so i wont need you to send them. Customs here are really strict and they would probably be opened etc.

Two things:

- DON'T TRY TO GO PAST YOUR OUNCE LIMIT. You're just waiting to fail, if you're constantly stuffing more into your mouth every time you can. There's no reason to test the waters. So don't.

I know this 300lb lady who drinks sodas and eats junk food all day after gastric bypass. Because she acclimated her body to it. Of course you can too, if you really want to. But then again, do you want to be 200lb overweight?

- Wait until you eat a piece of chicken, and it feels like you swallowed glass. You won't be able to consume any more of that for a while.

Hi-

10 days out of surgery and I find that the sleeve is not very restrictive...it is very subtle.

Is something wrong here? I expected a more dramatic change.

Most of the time I don't want food, not hungry or tempted. But when I do eat, I can slip past the 4 oz. "limit" without

feeling full...that comes in 5+ minutes or so. Is this the way it is?

( I know, eat slowly etc...but it doesn't feel very different than before the sleeve.

I am really confused.

I can eat more than 4 oz. easily-I thought this wouldn't happen.

Anyone had this too?

I don't want to start out on the wrong foot...

Thanks.

Yes, the liquids don't make me feel full until it starts to come back up. However, now that I am on the mushies/soft food, I can tell when I am full and if I don't stop I get naseous. I can do about 6 ounces of say chopped chicken and mashed potatoes (blenderized) then I stop as it gets tight up around my upper chest.

I also have to do my Protein shakes or I get light headed. I LOVE Muscle Milk Lite chocolate!

Starting exercise this week.

Two weeks out, down 38 lbs.

Your full signal might not be working right now, your nerves have been severed, stapled off and have been traumatized so you aren't really going to "feel full". Liquids in, liquids out kind of apply even on mushy food if you're one of the lucky ones that don't have a lot of residual swelling.

Once you get to more solid foods, and your body heals, you will notice more restriction. Measuring portions will become a necessary evil, but it'll help you gauge your portions, and your satiety. I always lived by the "just because I can, doesn't mean I should". If my plan said 1/2 of _____, I stuck to 1/2 cup. If it said, 1/4 cup of __________, I stuck to 1/4 cup. Not because that's what my stomach would hold, not because it I could fit more in, because that was the prescribed portion in my guideline. There might be times when you take that one last bite, and that's a miserable feeling. It's better to just avoid it in my opinion.

I'm glad you can drink. I'm 14 days post op today and it still takes me about 45 minutes to drink a 8 oz Protein shake. I am able sip more Water at a time, but everything kept getting stuck and I belched a lot. When you start eating you will notice a difference. My doctor wants me to eat at least 4 oz of food. I'm still working on getting 2.5 in. Me and my sleeve are fighting a serious battle.

Good luck!

I agree. I had my first egg yesterday. Make that half an egg and OMG do not take that extra bite even it you think you can. I can drink a whole lot more than what I was advised but food is a different thing.

good luck

I agree. I had my first egg yesterday. Make that half an egg and OMG do not take that extra bite even it you think you can. I can drink a whole lot more than what I was advised but food is a different thing.

good luck

OTOH..I just had two scrambled eggs with a slice of american cheese melted over the top and it was fine. Definitely didn't want any more but it measured to about 7/8 cup total and was alright. Best food I have had since surgery. delicious.