Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to Do!

I am from Canada and although I have wanted WLS for years I never really thought it would happen since it isn't offered in my Province and I was not able to self pay. Well things are changing!! 1. I recently discovered I may be coming into some unexpected money. Not a lot but enough for the VSG in Mexico 2. They are finally about to start offering WLS here in my home Province!!! The Dr. has already started seeing patients for consults. No absolute date has been set for surgery to start but it should be in the next few weeks. My referral for a consult went in last week. I hope to get the consult at least within the next couple of months.

So my options are these. Wait to get the surgery done here by a surgeon who is experienced in laprascopic surgery but does not have a lot of experience in WLS. This may take a few months or a couple of years. Or I can self pay to have the procedure done in MEXICO. I have done a lot of research and Dr. Ramos Kelly in Mexico is the surgeon i have chosen.

I should mention that I was diagnosed with Impaired Glucose Tolerance about a year ago. Bacially my body is sensitive to slight fluctuations in my blood sugar so small that most people would not even notice them. If my sugar goes up even sightly I begin to feel tired and can't concentrate. If it goes up a little I could drop right to sleep even at work. If it drops a little low I feel shaky and can't concentrate then either. My work is pretty detailed and requires good concentration. I know my work is not what it should be and I am afraid for my job. Management is aware of my condition but since this has been going on for a year, I don't know how much longer they will tolerate my poor performance.

Now that the this idea of getting WLS had become a reality I am ABLSOLUTELY TERRIFIED. Almost enough to stop me. My husband is really afraid of complications but I keep telling him the risk to my health is bigger by not having WLS. (I am 41 years old 5'3" and 275 lbs, BMI about 49). I know this is something I really need to do but I need some encouragement from those who have gone through it. Should I go to MEXICO with Dr. Kelly and his experience or should I wait to get it done at home?

I'm ten years older than you, my BMI was 36.6. I'm 5'6 and weighted 228. I reached the goal my surgeon set in just under five months. (150 lbs) Now I am 11 lbs under than. I'm getting the hang of maintenence and never dreamed putting the brakes on losing weight would be the tricky part. This surgery is the best decision I've ever made for myself. My self confidence is better than it has ever been in my entire life, shopping if fun for the FIRST time in my entire life. I wear a size six jeans for the first time ever! I cannot believe it's me. I just now recognize myself in the mirror and I am finallly wrapping my mind around going to the right dept when I shop for clothes. It is strange not going to the dept. for larger women!!! You will not, and I promise, you will not go back to the doctor and want the other part of your tummy back!! :) I never had a second of "buyers remorse". I love my sleeve!!!! Good luck!!!! I too was self pay, I had my surgery done in Texas, it was less expensive there, I am currently living in Wisconsin.

NtvTxn

I'm ten years older than you, my BMI was 36.6. I'm 5'6 and weighted 228. I reached the goal my surgeon set in just under five months. (150 lbs) Now I am 11 lbs under than. I'm getting the hang of maintenence and never dreamed putting the brakes on losing weight would be the tricky part. This surgery is the best decision I've ever made for myself. My self confidence is better than it has ever been in my entire life, shopping if fun for the FIRST time in my entire life. I wear a size six jeans for the first time ever! I cannot believe it's me. I just now recognize myself in the mirror and I am finallly wrapping my mind around going to the right dept when I shop for clothes. It is strange not going to the dept. for larger women!!! You will not, and I promise, you will not go back to the doctor and want the other part of your tummy back!! :) I never had a second of "buyers remorse". I love my sleeve!!!! Good luck!!!! I too was self pay, I had my surgery done in Texas, it was less expensive there, I am currently living in Wisconsin.

NtvTxn

Thanks for your reply NtvTxn. I know its the right thing for me, its just so scary. How much did you pay in Texas?

HI, I am scheduled for March 25th with Dr. Kelly. I live in Arizona, but my insurance excludes WLS. In terms of experience, you want the one who has done the procedure that you are having- not someone new to it. Another problem could be that they would try and talk you into something other than the sleeve - or that they would not be performing that surgery - it has been around for years, but has not really made it to the mainstream yet. In the US some insurances still consider it experimental - NOT!!! I did not want the band due to a very high tendency to allergic reactions, also many people on this site seem to be banders being revised to the sleeve. Gastric bypass was out totally due to the malabsorption issues involved. So, my opinion is got to Mexico, the surgeons have tons of experience with the procedure and very low complication rates. You can actually talk to Dr. Kelly before deciding if you have questions. Sorry this ended up being quite long-winded. By the way I am 51, and 5'3" with a BMI of 55. Make the best decision for you, your hubby can ride along with you. Jean

Thanks for your reply jasaz. They will be doing the sleeve here but the question with getting it done here at home is how much risk of complications is there with a surgeon inexperienced in WLS and also I do not yet know how long I will have to wait, it may be up to a year or more and I want this done in the next six months.

This is something YOU have to decide! Are you ready NOW....do self pay! Will you be comfortable with Dr. Kelly? If you wait will you be TERRIFIED to go with a doctor that is not experienced with this WLS? You have to write down the pros and cons but you will only be the one that can decide! You have to be EMOTIONALLY ready for this surgery because you go through so many emotions. At least that is how it was for me....I called it the EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER! LOL I can say now that I'm 6 weeks out today this is the BEST THING I've EVER done for myself!!! I had a GREAT doctor and had NO complications! You have to be COMFORTABLE and CONFIDENT with your doctor.

GOOD LUCK!!!!