Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have a food you sleeve didn't like???

chicken NUggets!

New belly HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES them.

I only ate 2 the other day and felt MISERABLE!

Which of course made me mad at myself because I knew they weren't the best choice to start with. But, I was out and wanted something NEW.

:( NO THANK YOU!

My surgeon's hand book says not to even try red meat until 3-5 months to let the stomach completely heal.

I can eat scrambled eggs just fine. I put a little milk in it and don't fry it too long, so it's moist. Add a little cheddar cheese to bump up the Protein.

I can easily eat shredded chicken in broth. I like to mix a little flour and Water and add it to the hot chicken to make it creamier.

Hubby let me try a couple of bites of his Crispy Chicken sandwich at Wendys (no bread). I chewed and chewed and it was really juicy and went down with no problem. I also had a couple of little bites of his baked potato. He laughed and said I was a cheap date! :rolleyes:

My sleeve HATES poultry (chicken, turkey, etc.) but seems to do fine with red meat. It's odd because I used to a big chicken eater and now all I want meat wise is steak and pork. Every bite of chicken feels like torture now and it's just not worth it to me.

I am about seven weeks out. Today I tried some hamburger meat for the first time. I made a hamburger patty with some cheese on top. I was only able to eat about 1/3. I started to feel like the meat was stuck. Then I starting sliming (which I have never had happen with the sleeve). I eventually threw all of it up. NOT fun! Anyone else had an experience like this? What foods caused it? I don't know if it was just too soon for hamburger meat or if my sleeve just doesn't like it. Any thoughts appreciated. I haven't had any food intolerances until today and I am not sick. Thanks!

Hey Becca,

I've heard lots of others mention an intolerance to hamburger meat, so you are not alone. I haven't personally encountered anything that made me slime or vomit, but I have become lactose intolerant quite badly post op. I had a pretty bad reaction to it. It's pretty normal I guess to find something our sleeves just no longer like. It doesn't mean its forever either, your stomach needs more time - I say try again next month. It very well could work for you then. :)

Becca, Do you weigh your food? At 7 weeks out I would guess you ate a little too much. When it feels 'stuck' to me, or feels like I'm 'full' up to my chest....even at eight months out, it is because I've eaten a little too much. I'd say at 7 weeks out, an oz of Protein is about all you can eat without experiencing what you did. Get a little scale. I am STILL weighing my meat and measuring my spaghetti, cottage cheese, veggies etc. I'm not hungry, not real hunger, plus I keep an on line food log. I want to keep up with my Protein and calories. It's what works for me. I haven't found anything I can't eat, but be careful with Pasta, it doesn't take a lot to fill you up. Good luck!

I am about seven weeks out. Today I tried some hamburger meat for the first time. I made a hamburger patty with some cheese on top. I was only able to eat about 1/3. I started to feel like the meat was stuck. Then I starting sliming (which I have never had happen with the sleeve). I eventually threw all of it up. NOT fun! Anyone else had an experience like this? What foods caused it? I don't know if it was just too soon for hamburger meat or if my sleeve just doesn't like it. Any thoughts appreciated. I haven't had any food intolerances until today and I am not sick. Thanks!

I did have a couple slime incidents when I was sick. Had a couple coughing episodes that ended with a messy suprise! The first time was not long after I had eaten and thought for sure the food was coming up, but not a bit a food. It was odd. Other than that, I've never thrown up and the only food issue I have is when I eat spicy things. I love spice! I try to keep it to a minimum, cause I pay for it with acid upset and heartburn =( Otherwise, my stomach hasn't really rejected anything. Got a little upset about a Burger King burger I had eaten...at a time that may or may not have been just a little to soon after surgery =) It's all trial and error and different for everyone. OH! I almost forgot! I totally CANNOT drink alcohol!! I really don't drink anymore, so it's not a big deal to me. I used to drink...a LOT!! But I got bored with it and decided to have a child instead! SO GLAD I traded!! Anyway, on New Year's Day, we had a bottle of champagne. All it took was 3 drink/sips, over the span of about 20 minutes and I was good!! Then one night I actually agreed to get out of the house and go to a comedy show with my BFF. So I go and decide to have a drink...cause you know...I'm out! Long story short I drink about 95% of a (I'm guessing) 12oz drink. I drank it over the course of the show, which was an hour 1/2. I felt buzzed while drinking it. By the time we left, I felt fine. I wasn't driving, but I didn't feel buzzed by the time we got to the car. My tummy was slightly queezy but not bad. Got home, decided to have a drink of water...and...well...I didn't get to keep what was left in my stomach. Wasn't much, but still not fun!

There's really no food that consistently doesn't sit well with me. However, foods that are more likely to cause me grief are breads and dry meats (including, yes, overcooked hamburger meat). That said, I'm still ok 90% of the time I eat bread or other offending foods, as long as I chew well and don't rush. The speed of eating seems to have more of an impact than the actual food itself.

The speed of eating seems to have more of an impact than the actual food itself.

I've been noticing this as well.

It feels like I'm not eating that slowly most of the time, but compared to how I ate pre-op and compared to others around me, I consume at an extremely slow rate now. I kinda like it, it makes the meals last longer and it's relaxing compared to woofing down gargantuan sized meals in 10 minutes.

I'm 6 weeks out and haven't thrown up since about 24 hours post - op but yesterday I went out to lunch with a friend and got tilipia and broccoli. I guess I was chatting too much and didn't chew very well because after a couple bites I felt painfully full in my chest. I ended up running to the bathroom and it all came up. It wasn't so much like vomiting as it was coughing up mass amounts of clear mucus with bits of food in it. I eventually lost my whole lunch. I just skipped that meal.

THEN for supper that friend ended up making tiliapia and cauliflower! I went slow and all was fine.

Is that sliming?

What is sliming? Sorry, I'm not down with all the terms yet. Only a month out and still learning my sleeve.

My sleeve hates broccolli, ground beef, and tomatoes. I'm introducing foods slowly. I still suffer from horrible indigestion 50% of the time so I'm scared to try new things. Even with my PPI and drinking Maalox like Kool Aid I still have reflux problems. Doc says it's still really tight and the tests show no hernia or anything just need more time to heal. Oh well.

I started my own topic then read this thread and it's basically talking about the same thing .. yes, holding down certain foods is a problem. 30+ days out and dry tasting meats which is skinless and grease less don't stay down. Ground beef, roast beef do not stay down. Grains: pastas, rice, breads all do not stay down at this point in time. Hopefully, this will improve over time. I did try Pasta with meat sauce again, and although it did come up, it was not as revolting as was 2 weeks ago. So, the sleeve MAY BE adjusting. Not sure yet.

I've noticed there are board members who have been able to eat all these things which I can hold down without problems. I've notices that some are better at controlling and avoiding vomiting. For me, the act is not so much of huge problem so long as the pain and pressure is relieved. Not that it's enjoyable, and for the moment I am a involuntary bulimic as well, having to add the calories I had to give up daily by eating more. Weight loss continues though.

I am two months sleeved...any type of beef works well for me. But cheese on a hamburger patty is horrid. For a while I didn't do well with chicken, but I am finally at a point where I can eat it comfortably. Pork has always been the best for me. I eat a lot of brat type sausages.

5 times and I remember every painful gross sliming puking experience

Deli Turkey

chicken Parm

Boneless chicken wings

Pork Chops

Hamburger

I have since eaten all of the above again, I think the reason that this occured was eating too much too fast and/or not chewing properly. The first time was the worst time deli turkey stuck for 90 minutes, drinking Water just caused more sliming.

I hate to say it but after the 2nd time I learned how to gag it up, still not pleasant but beats that it hurts so bad stuck and hopeless feeling.

I hate sliming. I had a lap band for three years that ended up slipping. I slimed all the time and it only got worse after the band slipped. I've spent hours in pain alternating between sitting feeling like I was drowning and bending over the toilet bowl praying the inflammation would go away and liquid would drain through.

Since I was sleeved it only happened once and it was at about two months and with meat. It's never happened again. For the first few months many meats took some extra work to eat - with sauce, cut small, with cheese, etc. I think my stomach just needed time to heal and for the swelling to go down. Now I rarely feel uncomfortable at all unless I overeat. pizza dough, Pasta and bread can feel a little Gummy so I don't choose those foods very often or only in very small amounts. eggs work great in all forms (my lap band hated them).

Honestly, I think the reason they all work well is that I've become really conscious about not eating past the satisfied point. Even just one or two extra bites can make me uncomfortable for 20-30 minutes and I've come to dislike the feeling enough that it's a very good deterrent. I don't hurt or hurl or have pain like I did with the lap band. I just feel stretched and full like I used to if I overate at Thanksgiving. I didn't mind it so much then, but now I don't like it.

The sleeve has changed my relationship with food in a lot of ways, I generally make better choices just because I can eat so little I don't want to waste my appetite on foods I don't love or foods that aren't healthy. I have lactose intolerance too and I'll probably need to do more about it than just take lactaid. It's just hard to stay away from milk products and get enough Protein in. And I can't stand sweet things any more. They make me feel queasy. I had dumping for the first few months but don't know. So I've wondered if my aversion to ice cream and frosting is just mental or if there's a real physical component. They just taste too sweet and I don't get any pleasure out of it. I tried a small square of my son's birthday cake, I was really looking forward to it, but I ended up just tosssing it after a bite or two. I felt sad for a minute but it passed. Just like my moment of grief about three months in that I would never eat a huge meal again passed. I felt sure the sleeve would work for me but how well it's worked, how much my approach to food has changed and how much more I'm like my thin neighbor still manages to amaze me.

At any rate, it might be too soon for your tummy for hamburger or it might need more moisture or you might need to eat even less. It'll take some experimenting to get to a point that you have a feel for which foods and how much work best for you. And it'll get better as you heal. Hopefully that'll be just a one time slime for you.

The only foods I've had trouble with are anything in a soft tortilla (made me throw up) and any Pasta that isn't drowning in sauce - it ends up sitting like a ball in my sleeve. NOT a fun feeling.

Today, actually, I had some chocolate milk for the first time since surgery seven months ago - didn't go well. I got all flushed and hot, and my pulse rate was 140 bpm for a few minutes. No more chocolate milk for me! laugh.gif