Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today Surgeon Called Me A Worrier-Day 12

I think my surgeon asks everyone if they regret their surgery at their first post-op visit. Maybe this is because of the restriction of full liquids for the first two weeks, or the pain, etc. My answer to him was, "I don't know yet", he looked puzzled and asked what I meant by that.

I told him recuperation after the surgery was not bad, the pain (?) I never filled the Lortab he prescribed because I didn't need it. I told him the reason I don't know if I regret it yet, is because I have doubts it will work. I told him before that I was not a large volume eater and actually I had lost most of my appetite before surgery. That's when he called me a worrier. I lost 21 pounds on my own before surgery.

I weighed in at 203 at his office this morning, which means I only lost 6 pounds in the 12 days since surgery. I was a little disappointed as I've been trying to get out and walk getting in my Protein and not "eating" any high calorie foods. I would love to hear from others who started out at a lower weight. I'm suppose to move on mushies now. Any helpful suggestions or comments would be welcome.

I did not loose the first 2 weeks either, I think about 8 pounds total? I was retaining fluids from the hospital and had Constipation to boot. I was not a large volume eater either, but I sure as heck could eat more than 3 bites of chicken at a time. I am 11 weeks out and have lost 29 pounds, I started at 220.

Also I am 47 and they said age plays a role.

I lost an average of a pound a day the first two weeks for a total of 17 lbs in January, but about 6 lbs of that was IV Fluid, then stalled for about 10 days. Weightloss resumed again and I have lost another 3.5 since Feb 11. I started at 232 and I am 56 years old. I figure I'm about 1/4 of the way to goal after 5 weeks. Can't beat that!

I started at 232. I had a 7 day liquid diet and got down to 212 on the day of surgery. I gained 12 pounds due to all the IV fluids. My first 2 weeks was losing what I had gain to get back to 212. I am 2 1/2 months out and I am down to 179. I had several stalls and have slowed down to a few pounds a week. Give it time. You just had surgery and it does take time for your body to heal and adjust. If you were not a big eater before it may take a you a bit longer to see results. Take your measurements. The times I did not lose on the scale, I was still losing inchces. It will work for you but it may just be a little slower. Hang in there.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I lost my "IV weight" pretty quick. They took it out and I peed and peed in the hospital. Then when I got home I had diarreah for about 2 days (probably from the artificial sweeteners in the popsickles).

I ate some shredded chicken last night as my first mushie and it went really well. I ate about a tablespoonful. This morning I scrambled an egg and ate about a tablespoonful with my HUGE chewable Vitamin.

I'm hoping being able to eat lean meats and not depending on the Protein drinks may help me lose. Also, I am 58 years old so I'm sure my metabolism isn't like the younger gals.

I have a very, very slow metabolism. I've never been a huge eater either. My twin sister is a registered dietitian with strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes, weighing in at 115, and that's at her heaviest. She's been around me my whole life, and even as an RD has always commented on how little I eat and still maintain a heavier weight.

With all of that said, our stats are pretty similar and I am definitely losing. I lost about 20 pounds the first month. Since then, I've lost about 10 pounds a month, but even that's starting to slow down a bit. I do have to be very careful about what I eat. I try to keep my carbs at less than 20% of my total intake, and I also exercise at least 30 min a day, 5 days a week. I'm certain that if I didn't carefully monitor calories and exercise regularly, I wouldn't lose. I think that's just the way it is for some of us. I accept that, and I know that even if the sleeve doesn't make the weight magically fall off...it does help a great deal by taking away the desire to eat, and the ability to eat any large quantity at all.

The bottom line is that there is no cut and dry formula for sleevers. A lot of people lose a ton of weight, and don't have to exercise at all...or only exercise when they reach a plateau. Some people eat 500 calories a day, and some eat 1100 calories a day. Some people say they're never hungry, some people say they're just as hungry as they were before surgery. The key is to figure out YOUR sleeve. Keep food and exercise journals along with a record of your weight loss. Compare and contrast those journals and see on paper what works best for you. Read other people's stories, but understand that your sleeve might not work exactly like their sleeve. This is a personal journey...embrace it! :hug: