Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, this is my story...I hope it doesn't bore you...

I have battled weight my entire life, and when I say "entire life" I mean my ENTIRE life. I was always the biggest girl in class starting from 1st grade. I graduated high school weighing 200 pounds. Maintained that for a few years and gained nearly 80 pounds after the birth of my son. I went on Phen-Fen and lost 80 pounds in four months. Then the FDA yanked it off the shelves and over the course of six years, I gained it all back plus 50 more.

I was diagnosed with a kidney disorder (IgA Nephropathy) and was hoping that after my doctor recommend I lose a substantial amount of weight to prolong the life of my kidney that my insurance would cover the surgery. Ummm...yeah...that didn't work in my favor. That was two years ago and I accepted the fact that would not be able to pay for it myself. I have grown more and more ashamed of my weight and two weeks ago I hit an all time low on the emotion scale after attending a sporting event and the public seating cut into my gynormous thighs and left a bruise on both sides. God must have been listening to my cry for help because just two days later I received a gift from one of his angels. Knowing that my insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the surgery, this angel offered to pay for it. [insert wheepy eyes and a sniff, sniff here].

That was on Friday, January 28 (just a 10 days ago). I immediately phoned the surgeons office and scheduled a consult. They got me in on the 4th (yes, just this past Friday) and I met with the surgeon. I originally wanted the Lap-Band but he recommended VSG. I hadn't ever heard of it before so he explained the process and told me to think about it. He gave me the number to his scheduler and said he would contact them as well. I phoned her from my car, while still in the parking lot of the surgeons office, and left her a message. Then I spent the latter part of my afternoon (at work) researching it and then continued my research at home (which is where I stumbled upon this site). After spending HOURS reading peoples stories, blogs, and watching videos on YouTube, I decided that I wanted the VSG.

I spoke to the gal from the hospital this morning at 8:30am and was shocked to hear that my surgeon had already spoken to them about me and...[insert hyperspeed here]... She faxed my pre-op orders to me at work and I dropped them off at my doctors office a few hours later (figured why not have the insurance pay for some "routine" lab work and tests; I had my chest x-ray done while I was there also (the x-ray tech and I both had an extra 15 minutes so why not get it done with); I meet with the Bariatric department tomorrow at 11:30 to sign paperwork and have an abdominal ultrasound at 1pm; on Wednesday, I have blood work at 7:30am, Upper GI at 9am, Echo at 12:30, Treadmill Stress Test at 1pm, and meet with the dietition at 2:30; I meet with my primary doctor on the 16th for clearance and will have my EKG done at the same time; then I have surgery on the 22nd.

Start to finish in three weeks. Is it me, or is that like crazy fast?

After I got my surgery date this morning, I had to start preparing. I purchased my Protein powder (did a lot of research on this over the weekend and found one with 24G of Protein, 1G sugar, and only 3G carbs); went to the store and stocked up on other supplies; and am going to continue preparing as much as I can.

I have had several abdominal surgeries including a c-section, hysterectomy, and having my gallbladder removed so I feel prepared for the pain. The hysterectomy was probably the worst and I tolerated that very well so hopefully this one isn't as bad.

Anyway - I just felt like sharing. I don't have a lot of people I can share with so I figured "what the heck, why not share with a bunch of strangers who just so happen to either be getting, or have already gotten, the same thing"?

Thanks for listening! On with the countdown...

God Bless

Dawn

Welcome to VST greeneyedmomma!

i will be getting my sleeve in 3 days. im soooo excited! ive had the band 4+ years and im very happy you decided not to get the band. good luck and congratulations.

shaundra

WOW! That IS superfast!!!

I am self-pay so mine will be fast once I get the last bit of money together, but, that has to be about the fastest I have seen anyone get it together outside of Mexico.

How super for you??!!

Welcome and congratz Dawn. This probably ONE of the best decisions you will make in your life time. Please read up on all the info you will find on this board, so as to best prepare yourself since this is happening sooooo fast. Most of us had several months to think about our life changing event so this can be overwhelming for you. Hopefully your surgeon has a support group you can attend once you have had your surgery, if not this board will give you great support. :D

If you have any questions fire away, I am sure there is someone here who can answer it.

Good luck and please keep us updated with your progress.

Deb B)

So, this is my story...I hope it doesn't bore you...

I have battled weight my entire life, and when I say "entire life" I mean my ENTIRE life. I was always the biggest girl in class starting from 1st grade. I graduated high school weighing 200 pounds. Maintained that for a few years and gained nearly 80 pounds after the birth of my son. I went on Phen-Fen and lost 80 pounds in four months. Then the FDA yanked it off the shelves and over the course of six years, I gained it all back plus 50 more.

I was diagnosed with a kidney disorder (IgA Nephropathy) and was hoping that after my doctor recommend I lose a substantial amount of weight to prolong the life of my kidney that my insurance would cover the surgery. Ummm...yeah...that didn't work in my favor. That was two years ago and I accepted the fact that would not be able to pay for it myself. I have grown more and more ashamed of my weight and two weeks ago I hit an all time low on the emotion scale after attending a sporting event and the public seating cut into my gynormous thighs and left a bruise on both sides. God must have been listening to my cry for help because just two days later I received a gift from one of his angels. Knowing that my insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the surgery, this angel offered to pay for it. [insert wheepy eyes and a sniff, sniff here].

That was on Friday, January 28 (just a 10 days ago). I immediately phoned the surgeons office and scheduled a consult. They got me in on the 4th (yes, just this past Friday) and I met with the surgeon. I originally wanted the Lap-Band but he recommended VSG. I hadn't ever heard of it before so he explained the process and told me to think about it. He gave me the number to his scheduler and said he would contact them as well. I phoned her from my car, while still in the parking lot of the surgeons office, and left her a message. Then I spent the latter part of my afternoon (at work) researching it and then continued my research at home (which is where I stumbled upon this site). After spending HOURS reading peoples stories, blogs, and watching videos on YouTube, I decided that I wanted the VSG.

I spoke to the gal from the hospital this morning at 8:30am and was shocked to hear that my surgeon had already spoken to them about me and...[insert hyperspeed here]... She faxed my pre-op orders to me at work and I dropped them off at my doctors office a few hours later (figured why not have the insurance pay for some "routine" lab work and tests; I had my chest x-ray done while I was there also (the x-ray tech and I both had an extra 15 minutes so why not get it done with); I meet with the Bariatric department tomorrow at 11:30 to sign paperwork and have an abdominal ultrasound at 1pm; on Wednesday, I have blood work at 7:30am, Upper GI at 9am, Echo at 12:30, Treadmill Stress Test at 1pm, and meet with the dietition at 2:30; I meet with my primary doctor on the 16th for clearance and will have my EKG done at the same time; then I have surgery on the 22nd.

Start to finish in three weeks. Is it me, or is that like crazy fast?

After I got my surgery date this morning, I had to start preparing. I purchased my Protein powder (did a lot of research on this over the weekend and found one with 24G of Protein, 1G sugar, and only 3G carbs); went to the store and stocked up on other supplies; and am going to continue preparing as much as I can.

I have had several abdominal surgeries including a c-section, hysterectomy, and having my gallbladder removed so I feel prepared for the pain. The hysterectomy was probably the worst and I tolerated that very well so hopefully this one isn't as bad.

Anyway - I just felt like sharing. I don't have a lot of people I can share with so I figured "what the heck, why not share with a bunch of strangers who just so happen to either be getting, or have already gotten, the same thing"?

Thanks for listening! On with the countdown...

God Bless

Dawn

That has to be record speed! I hope your recovery will be the same! I am in the insurance system's plodding along for 6 months, but nearing the end. In the meantime, this website has been most helpful to me. I keep wishing I could have done this sooner, but my insurance just began covering the sleeve. It HAS to be the way to go if one is going to do anything! Best of luck to you!

WOW! Incredible, that is the speediest I think I've ever seen as well. Congrats and you will love your sleeve, your dr. did you a favor by telling you about the sleeve!

Well welcom green eyed momma..In one way or another all our stories can goes with each others. You are with good complany here though.. We are a very supportive group here and you will be good advice as well as support here. I wish you all the luck and please keep us posted. I have been happily sleeved since February 1st and if there is anything that I can help with just let me know...good luck and keep ya head up..

Wow, that is super fast! Be thankful that it is going fast for you.... I'm insurance pay and there are so many hoops to jump through that it seems like forever since I initially wanted surgery until it will actually happen!

I am actually thankful that insurance is requiring me to do a 3 month supervised nutritional diet with the surgeon's dietician!! I originally began my process with a doctor and thought that I would be getting the LapBand. But after the news that I had to wait an additional 3 months, I researched other doctors and other WLS and discovered my current doctor and VSG!!! I couldnt be more thankful for this time since I HATED the other doctor's office...so, in hind sight, I'm happy I have to wait b/c I found a wonderful doctor and am so happy to have found this site!!!

Good luck to you and please keep us posted!!

Wow never heard of anyone going thur the process so fast. Please read as much information about the surgery and the after care, its very important to be as well educated as possible.

Good luck!

Fantastic!! You will love your sleeve, I know I sure do!! I was banded before too, and really - not missing it much.

Anyway, welcome to VST. This is the place to come for support regarding the sleeve. All the best to you and your new journey!

Wonderful news for you! First of all, I had very little pain. I assume you are having it done laproscopically. I had it done 8 months ago and don't regret it at all! You won't either. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Wow that is really fast! I'm happy for you! I was just wondering what kind of Protein powder did you purchase and where did you get it from? My surgery is next week and I am trying to get prepared.