Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going through the process of being approved by my insurance company for the sleeve procedure. In the mean time I have joined weigh watchers and have lost 10 pounds. I have tried every diet under the sun and the weight has come back. Could it be possible that this time weight watchers will be the answer and that i will be making a mistake by having the surgery? I am so afraid of the changes that I will need to make after surgery. I am addicted to food. Food has been my best friend and worst enemy. I am afraid of what will happen when I want that food but my body can't have it. I am afraid that I will find ways to have my food and ruin my surgery. I really want to lose weight for my health and I don't want it to come back. How do I know if surgery is the right answer? Help!!!!

I had all the same questions. Here's what you need to ask yourself--have I ever lost weight and KEPT IT OFF? Do I think if I lose weight with WW I can KEEP IT OFF? If you are really honest about these questions the answer will be apparent. With the surgery I will lose weight and know that I will keep it off. That makes it worth it for me. Hope this helps.

The first 10 pounds are the fastest to come off due to Water weight. If you've struggled with your weight for a very long time, then I would say to consider the surgery. Many insurance companies require you to lose 5% of starting bodyweight before getting approved. I'm working on that now and it is so hard. Good luck!

The first 10 pounds are the fastest to come off due to Water weight. If you've struggled with your weight for a very long time, then I would say to consider the surgery. Many insurance companies require you to lose 5% of starting bodyweight before getting approved. I'm working on that now and it is so hard. Good luck!

I think it might not be a bad idea for you to talk to a counselor about your food addictions and make sure you can overcome them with the surgery. You don't sound to me like you are willing to follow the restrictions after surgery and I would hate to see you really mess yourself up. It's like smoking. I have quit numerous times over the last 25 yrs but in October I said DONE... I'm fat, turning 40 and killing myself. At that point I had not done the research on this surgery so I had resolved myself to being fat so I though take out one of the killers and I have not looked back. I was not ready the other times. Good luck on making the right decision for you.

I am going through the process of being approved by my insurance company for the sleeve procedure. In the mean time I have joined weigh watchers and have lost 10 pounds. I have tried every diet under the sun and the weight has come back. Could it be possible that this time weight watchers will be the answer and that i will be making a mistake by having the surgery? I am so afraid of the changes that I will need to make after surgery. I am addicted to food. food has been my best friend and worst enemy. I am afraid of what will happen when I want that food but my body can't have it. I am afraid that I will find ways to have my food and ruin my surgery. I really want to lose weight for my health and I don't want it to come back. How do I know if surgery is the right answer? Help!!!!

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have not had my surgery yet (Plication), but I have the same fears because I realize I am addicted to food, as well. I have been afraid that I'll "go crazy" inside when I'm not able to eat whatever and as much as I want which is what I've done in the past. What others have said on this site is that your "addiction" to food will get better after the surgery. Yes, the head hunger is still there, but, as you learn new lifestyle skills, it seems to fade. Plus, it sounds like you get satisfied a lot easier on just a small amount of food. And you're feeling so much better, that you don't WANT to go back to the same patterns of eating. In regards to the Weight Watchers issue, I struggle with that every day, too. Couldn't I do it this time if I just try harder? I've lost 80 lbs on my own before, why couldn't I do it again? My answer to that is that I am 46 years old, am prediabetic, have already had a hip replacement from arthritis, have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, hurt all the time, am exhausted just walking across the room, etc, etc. I'm running out of time. The surgery is almost guaranteed to help me lose wieight if I just work with it. Trying it on my own hasn't worked in the past and I have too much to lose to try it again. I'm scared, too, about whether this is the right thing for me. I feel like a failure that I have to "resort to surgery", but I don't care anymore. I want a better life. Don't know if that helps. But I'm right there with you, on that same roller coaster ride! :)

I agree with all that WareEagle said, "I think it might not be a bad idea for you to talk to a counselor about your food addictions and make sure you can overcome them with the surgery. You don't sound to me like you are willing to follow the restrictions after surgery and I would hate to see you really mess yourself up. It's like smoking. I have quit numerous times over the last 25 yrs but in October I said DONE... I'm fat, turning 40 and killing myself. At that point I had not done the research on this surgery so I had resolved myself to being fat so I though take out one of the killers and I have not looked back. I was not ready the other times. Good luck on making the right decision for you."

After I had my surgery, I vowed to my husband to NEVER try to talk anyone into it. I don't even know if you will read this message, but it may help someone else.

I guess since I'm less than a week out and had a great surgical experience I could rant and rave about how I had very little discomfort (haven't taken anything for pain for 2 1/2 days), actually I have no pain at all. BUT this is a life changing surgery and you'd better be ready for that huge change in your life. If you have food addictions, then dealing with them might help you to finally lose the weight by making life changes on your own.

I have HBP, sleep apnea and some other issues and I'm 58 years old. I didn't volume eat, I don't have food addictions so for me this was the right step. Please get help for your food issues and deal with that before you make any permanent moves!

I am going through the process of being approved by my insurance company for the sleeve procedure. In the mean time I have joined weigh watchers and have lost 10 pounds. I have tried every diet under the sun and the weight has come back. Could it be possible that this time weight watchers will be the answer and that i will be making a mistake by having the surgery?

I think the answer in your in very own words here, "I have tried every diet under the sun and the weight has come back". The problem is not losing it, it is keeping it off. I had a life time of failed diets, now with the sleeve I have not only a determination that has lasted for longer then any diet I have ever tried, I also have this wondrous new tool that controls how much I eat.

I am so afraid of the changes that I will need to make after surgery. I am addicted to food. food has been my best friend and worst enemy. I am afraid of what will happen when I want that food but my body can't have it. I am afraid that I will find ways to have my food and ruin my surgery. I really want to lose weight for my health and I don't want it to come back. How do I know if surgery is the right answer? Help!!!!

I did a lot of the head work before surgery, I went on a diet, I researched proper nutrition, I watch Dr OZ and read his website daily and met with the nutritionist and talk with a counselor once a week. The sleeve has given me control over food, the abiltiy to over eat is gone and the obsessive thoughts about what to eat next and how much to eat are things of the past, the sleeve has give me control over food!

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have not had my surgery yet (Plication), but I have the same fears because I realize I am addicted to food, as well. I have been afraid that I'll "go crazy" inside when I'm not able to eat whatever and as much as I want which is what I've done in the past. What others have said on this site is that your "addiction" to food will get better after the surgery. Yes, the head hunger is still there, but, as you learn new lifestyle skills, it seems to fade. Plus, it sounds like you get satisfied a lot easier on just a small amount of food. And you're feeling so much better, that you don't WANT to go back to the same patterns of eating. In regards to the Weight Watchers issue, I struggle with that every day, too. Couldn't I do it this time if I just try harder? I've lost 80 lbs on my own before, why couldn't I do it again? My answer to that is that I am 46 years old, am prediabetic, have already had a hip replacement from arthritis, have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, hurt all the time, am exhausted just walking across the room, etc, etc. I'm running out of time. The surgery is almost guaranteed to help me lose wieight if I just work with it. Trying it on my own hasn't worked in the past and I have too much to lose to try it again. I'm scared, too, about whether this is the right thing for me. I feel like a failure that I have to "resort to surgery", but I don't care anymore. I want a better life. Don't know if that helps. But I'm right there with you, on that same roller coaster ride! :)

It is so refreshing to know that I am not alone with these fears. I do want to say something about what you said in your post. When you said that you feel like a failure, I have to say that some of the strongest people I know have been people who try to lose the weight. Not everyone out there can lose 80 pounds. And you succeeded to do that !!! The will power that it takes is so incredible. I don't feel like a failure because of all the other accomplishments that I have achieved in my life no matter how small they may be but I am afraid of trying to diet again, exerting that amount a will power just to have it come back again. It is not a matter of failing to lose weight because I am a failure but because I am battling a disease. Morbid Obesity is a disease. If you had heart disease, cancer or another illness would you feel like a failure? You are not a failure. You are an extremely strong human being! When is your surgery scheduled for?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really needed to hear these things. My husband is afraid of the surgery to for the very same reasons that I am and I am going to let him read these posts. My best wishes and prayers for all of you. Thank you.

you don't need to worry about giving up certain foods. In the beginning you can only eat tiny amounts of food.

That does not go on forever. Eventually, you'll be able to eat anything you want in small portions.

Honestly, there is nothing I can't eat. If I choose to fill up on bread though, I don't have much room for much

else. I can eat half a sandwich now though..

Thank you, roller coaster, for your kind words and reminding me that obesity IS a disease and that I should pat myself on the back for not only being able to do what it took to lose that 80 lbs (although 70 of it came back), but in any other of my life's accomplishments, too! It sounds to me like you are a strong person, also, and that we both are just feeling normal thoughts and fears that are all a part of the struggle. Whenever I've wrestled with tough decisions over the years, my mother would always say to me "You do TOO know what to do!" and I would just take a deep breath and listen to what my heart would tell me is the right thing. My surgery isn't scheduled, yet. I'm meeting with the doctor in Salt Lake City on the 16th of this month for all the consults. I'm self pay, so the process is a lot quicker. They said I could probably get the surgery within a couple of weeks after that, as soon as I can work it out with my work schedule. I'm getting the Gastric Plication which is relatively new. That's why I have to go to SLC instead of having it in my own state. No one is doing it here, yet.

what is plication?

Thank you, roller coaster, for your kind words and reminding me that obesity IS a disease and that I should pat myself on the back for not only being able to do what it took to lose that 80 lbs (although 70 of it came back), but in any other of my life's accomplishments, too! It sounds to me like you are a strong person, also, and that we both are just feeling normal thoughts and fears that are all a part of the struggle. Whenever I've wrestled with tough decisions over the years, my mother would always say to me "You do TOO know what to do!" and I would just take a deep breath and listen to what my heart would tell me is the right thing. My surgery isn't scheduled, yet. I'm meeting with the doctor in Salt Lake City on the 16th of this month for all the consults. I'm self pay, so the process is a lot quicker. They said I could probably get the surgery within a couple of weeks after that, as soon as I can work it out with my work schedule. I'm getting the Gastric Plication which is relatively new. That's why I have to go to SLC instead of having it in my own state. No one is doing it here, yet.

Thank you that is good to know.

you don't need to worry about giving up certain foods. In the beginning you can only eat tiny amounts of food.< /p>

That does not go on forever. Eventually, you'll be able to eat anything you want in small portions.

Honestly, there is nothing I can't eat. If I choose to fill up on bread though, I don't have much room for much

else. I can eat half a sandwich now though..

Gastric Plication Surgery or GPS (also called Imbrication or Super Sleeve) is similar to the Sleeve, but, instead of removing 85% of the stomach, the stomach is "folded in" and sutured. There are no staples, so risks of leaks are reduced and the remaining stomach size is supposed to be about the same as the sleeve, if I understand correctly. It is supposedly reversible, but, because it's so new, there is controversy about that. The thinking is that it is probably reversible early on, but the longer one has it, scar tissue may form and it may not be reversible after that. I like it because I'm not sure I can handle taking part of my stomach and just throwing it away, or having the malabsorption with the bypass, or having foreign objects in my body like the band. The drawback is that there aren't long term studies on it because it is so new. Some critics say it also leaves the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin, so the risk of being hungry is there. However, I have heard that if the stomach is stretched, as when it is full of food, that stops the ghrelin production anyway.

I lost weight too on Weight Watchers and it all came back! Why do you think they have so much business? They know most won't be able to keep it off. The sleeve is so amazing. I have had weight problems since I was young. I can't believe the difference the sleeve has made in my life. For the first time ever, I have control over food. I am losing weight. I feel amazing. Most people with the sleeve are very happy and that's because it works! Don't miss out on this life changing tool!