Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal spasm

I have been banded five months and have only recently found restriction. I am not losing a lot of weight, but that is a minor concern for me.

Fills have been hard for me to take. Even with fill number three I am only at 0.8 cc.

My restriction (finally) can be extremely variable and I wonder if it is restriction so much as increased spasm. I have a hard time consuming solids until two or three pm, but can eat most anything and lots of it after five. I am doing well with nutrition and am getting between 700 and 1100 calories per day. Most of those calories happen between five and eight pm.

I think about an unfill all morning, mere hours later I am wanting to increase my fill.

I am self-pay, I have a local-ish doc, but was wondering if anyone has found a way to relax the little bugger at home. It doesn't feel all that great when it gets going.

In searching LBT I found the people with spasms were nearly all freshly post-op. I can handle being rare as long as I can still succeed.

Ideas? Thank you all for your help.

Room temp Protein Shake starts the internal cha-cha. I drink a small cup of something warm, like tea, then I warm my shake a little in the micro or cut it with a little hot coffee.

I can do fluids with little trouble, and I am not hungry until the pouch relaxes either.

It is just a pain.

Thanks ladies for the quick responses!

I have been able to keep very, very little down. Protein Shakes are iffy - I made a thinned down one this morning with apple juice and that stayed down, but with some difficulty. So far it I want something to stay down it has to be chicken broth. I can't begin to tell you how hungry I am.

Sorry Dasharoo. I am sure you are famished if you are still on the Clear Liquids, have you called your doc?

Is it the size of your swallows?

If I sip, I am golden. The first time I take a big swallow and I am hungry... it is an invitation for disaster.

Try this... take a small sip of warm shake, then do a short task. Come back and take a few more but keep them small. With any luck this should get the stoma used to the whole idea of eating all slow and friendly-like.

It works for me if I wait until the mid-afternoon.

Look at me... offering advice on my own "complications" thread... *blushes*

Oh yeah you can bet I sip and when I do try anything solid I chew, chew, even blend in the blender first -- no luck:cry

The doctor said it's an ulcer in my esophegus. So that's why I'm back on clear liquids. The Protein shakes do make me feel the most satisfied, but I have to be very careful and drink them very slow.

I've even been light headed, dizzy, disoriented etc. But I am doing better. The other hard thing for me is to drink much Water. :think

I'm just a mess, but I am sure it will pass --- won't it??:sick

Did the doctor say what caused the ulcer? The reason i ask is that tomorrow I am going for a scope, because I have a horrible throbbing pain where my band is.

I think it's either infection or something is up with my esophagus. But when I called I heard the receptionist say "We ahve had a lot of band people with ulcers in here lately"

No I don't think he would know what caused the ulcer, but it's probably a combination of things. I think I ate solids too soon (even though I followed my doctor's advice) started throwing up alot and then I was in that cirlce - can't eat much - try to eat - throw up - irriate esophegus - repeat.:sick

I'm so hungry I was caught hanging off the Outback advertisement at the airport licking the Awesome Bloosom picture.:omg: