Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CONFUSED IN HOUSTON

Hi Everyone!

I'm not really new to this site I've been lurking in the background but this is my first post.

I'm writing this because I am confused on what to do and just need advice from people other than my friends and family. I was actually scheduled to have my sleeve done by Dr. Speigal on Feb. 3rd. I did my research in the beginning and was actually referred to him by 3 different people. But it seems like since I have scheduled the surgery I have heard so many horror stories about him. So I've started looking into other doctors but I'm just ready to have this surgery and on to a healthier life.

So I was just wondering if anyone has had surgery by Dr. Speigal and how was your experience? Would you reccomend him or not? Any advice would be great...thanks!

Hi I am just actually beginning my process I am one month down of the 6 mos my insurance requires, however I am in the Houston area as well and I also have heard bad reviews of this doctor...I am using Texas Gastric Banding in the Woodlands Dr. Wilkenfled but having trouble finding a place to work with my availablity for the nutritionist appts...True Results is very limited on their times and I am scared to use my pcp because of the specific documentation.

I am from Houston, too. Did you ask your doctor for his statistics (leaks, deaths ,etc)? Is what you heard that was bad about the lapband or the sleeve? That can make a huge difference. Maybe you can talk to one of his sleeve patients. I hope you get it all worked out. The sleeve is so awesome, so don't give up!

Hi Everyone!

I'm not really new to this site I've been lurking in the background but this is my first post.

I'm writing this because I am confused on what to do and just need advice from people other than my friends and family. I was actually scheduled to have my sleeve done by Dr. Speigal on Feb. 3rd. I did my research in the beginning and was actually referred to him by 3 different people. But it seems like since I have scheduled the surgery I have heard so many horror stories about him. So I've started looking into other doctors but I'm just ready to have this surgery and on to a healthier life.

So I was just wondering if anyone has had surgery by Dr. Speigal and how was your experience? Would you reccomend him or not? Any advice would be great...thanks!

I have a couple of friends who used him and would not recommend him.One had to have her band removed and used the doctor I ended up choosing I used Dr' Robert Marvin. I highly recommend him but there are alot of good ones in Houston. My daughter used Hadar Spivak.

I saw a nutritionist at Houston Northwest Medical Center on 1960. It is not far from the Woodlands ( I had my surgery at Woodlands Memorial Hermann). Give them a call!

Hi I am just actually beginning my process I am one month down of the 6 mos my insurance requires, however I am in the Houston area as well and I also have heard bad reviews of this doctor...I am using Texas Gastric Banding in the Woodlands Dr. Wilkenfled but having trouble finding a place to work with my availablity for the nutritionist appts...True Results is very limited on their times and I am scared to use my pcp because of the specific documentation.

Dr. Kenneth Hollis came recommended to me. I haven't had the surgery yet, and like you, just started this process, but I haven't heard anything negative about him.

Hi Everyone!

Hello there! I was actually just sleeved by Dr. Spiegel almost 3 weeks ago.. My experience with him was great.. he's not the most personable man but I chose him because he is one of the best around.. His office staff is nice and my approval process was very fast.. I feel great and I thank him for helping me make the right choice in getting the sleeve..

Hello there! I was actually just sleeved by Dr. Spiegel almost 3 weeks ago.. My experience with him was great.. he's not the most personable man but I chose him because he is one of the best around.. His office staff is nice and my approval process was very fast.. I feel great and I thank him for helping me make the right choice in getting the sleeve..

DId you hear of Dr. Robert (or son, Garth) Davis in Houston. They were on that show BIG MEDICINE. Everyone I know that used Robert Davis LOVED him. He is a very skilled surgeon. Their practice is big.

My friend had a complication after bypass surgery and he came up to the hospital at 10pm and he knew exactly what to do and calmed her. She was throwing up bright red blood. It happened after they started her blood thinner back or something like that. But he was very calm and available and diligent and she did absolutely fine. My friend adores him. I heard the son, Garth, is excellent but I don't know him.

My cousin had Dr. Robert Davis for a revision from band to sleeve and it went great. Dr, Spiegal did her band, and she totally does NOT recommend him.

Hi everyone thanks for the advice...I just wanted to give an update. I decided to go with Dr. Turnquest and I'll be sleeved on March 22nd! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

Yay! We really need to get a Houston support group going! You will love the sleeve.:rolleyes:

I used Dr Spivak and have been pretty happy thus far. I'm a self-pay and his price was reasonable and I was also referred to him by a friend. I went to Dr. Davis's seminar first, but they were about $7,000 more for self-pay sleeve patients! So I went with my friend's recommendation and I'm glad that I did. I'm almost 6 weeks post-op. I wish I could find a Houston support group near me!

That's so good...I can't wait to get this procedure done and over with! I'm thinking about joining a support group too. My doctor has one it's on 1960 near 45. Not sure if that's near you or not?

OMG! You will love Dr. Turnquest! He has been phenomenal and he is very well respected. Maybe our paths will cross in his office one day! I think I have an appointment March 26!

Hi everyone thanks for the advice...I just wanted to give an update. I decided to go with Dr. Turnquest and I'll be sleeved on March 22nd! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

Who is your Dr.

I would like to join a support group in the 1960 area. I presently drive to one in Memorial City.

thanks for any info.

That's so good...I can't wait to get this procedure done and over with! I'm thinking about joining a support group too. My doctor has one it's on 1960 near 45. Not sure if that's near you or not?