Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I'm SCARED!!

My surgery is 2/7 and I went to my pre-surgery appt yesterday and now I am starting to get really scared. I guess because it is getting so close. It's not the surgery that scares me, its the being put out that scares me to death. I had to have an emergency c-section in 2005, they didn't have time for an epidural or anything like that, so it was fast. All I can remember when I woke up is a nurse standing beside me and she told me "We had a really hard time with you". I was so out of it that I didn't ask her what she meant, so now I am freaking out because...what did she mean??? The nurse said she probably meant they had a hard time getting me breathing again taking me off the respirator (sp??)....So you see, I am soooooo scared.

I think being a little scared before any major surgery is completely normal and should be expected. I'm wishing you all the success in a quick and fast and of course safe recovery.

Hang in there... the time will go very fast. :)

My surgery is 2/7 and I went to my pre-surgery appt yesterday and now I am starting to get really scared. I guess because it is getting so close. It's not the surgery that scares me, its the being put out that scares me to death. I had to have an emergency c-section in 2005, they didn't have time for an epidural or anything like that, so it was fast. All I can remember when I woke up is a nurse standing beside me and she told me "We had a really hard time with you". I was so out of it that I didn't ask her what she meant, so now I am freaking out because...what did she mean??? The nurse said she probably meant they had a hard time getting me breathing again taking me off the respirator (sp??)....So you see, I am soooooo scared.

You've heard this 100 times i'm sure, but it'll be ok. . .I'm sure you want the surgery more then the fear right now right? This was my 18th major surgery and I have a lot of complications with anesthesia too, i was scared poopless, but see I'm still here writing some encouragment to you. . . they had major problems starting my IV this time too and ended up in the jugular after 8 stabs finally got it. . .but hey I'm here! and you will be too! Good luck and know that nervousness and fear is a normal feeling. . .

Best wishes for you!! Also make sure your doctor knows you had an issue in the past.

My surgery is in 8 days and I am nervous too. So sick of people finding out and trying to change my mind.Especially when they say dont u think u should try harder to lose on your own!!erks me!! oh well I am sure we will be fine . Look at all the people who do so good versus problems. Good luck on your big day!!

I too share that same fear of going under, but it was totally worth it for me.

Since this is not an emergency surgery, it will be different this time. You will have time to talk to all the nurses, surgeon, etc.

You are going to love your sleeve :)

I am getting sleeved on the 1st of February and know what you mean by being scared.. I Think of it quite often. I try to stay busy doing things I have a lot of home projects to close before I go in. I cant make you feel any better about the surgery, but I know that the complications of being overweight out weighs the risk of having surgery. I want to see my grandkids and live to a ripe old age.. I don't really want to die of weight related problems.

My biggest fear was anesthesia and it was the biggest risk as well. My basic problem is I didn't want to lose control and anesthesia was the big humbler for me. I chose a good hospital, surgeon, and anesthesia team. I was fearful but resigned to saving my life. I waited 10 years too long for surgery and have many health problems as a result. I kept praying, "Jesus, I trust in you."

Anesthesia is a miracle! We are so lucky to live in a time where we have such good anesthesia and pain management! I met with the anesthesia team, and talked to them a bit. When I was through with all the Dr visits and such, they said they were going to put a little something in my IV to relax me. Boy did it. I don't even remember being wheeled out of the room to surgery. When I woke up in recovery, I had no pain, and the best recovery nurse ever. My husband and I even exchanged numbers because we had so much in common. If I would have had pain or nausea, he would have been there for me to get me drugs or help. I also have Atrial Fibrillation... and never had any problem with it. Just let your anesthesiologist know of any concerns you might have and they will take care of the rest. Adding stress hormones to your body will not make your experience any better. Try to relax and enjoy modern science!

I was also worried! Put faith in the medical team. These days they really know what they are doing! You will get through this.

xoxoxo

Hi, I was so scared on the days leading up to my surgery I was walking around like a zombie. I think the fear is your inner self just making sure that you have given your decision plenty of thought. This was only my second surgery but I can tell you five months down the line I am so happy I went through it.

Nancy

I never thought I was scared before my surgery but in retrospect, I was a raving b***h so that must have come from nerves. I also must have been very distracted because I had a car accident two days before on my way to a pre-op appointment with the surgeon.

All that is over and done with and my sleeve is the best think I think I've ever done for myself. Get through the next couple of weeks and it will all be smooth sailing after that.

Thank you all....I am still nervous and scared but I do know this is the best decision for me. Everytime I start thinking about "what could" happen I make myself think about "what is" going to happen!!

wow!! planner girl I had a wreck on the way to my pre sugery visit..I was meeting the surgeon and asking question.. It is funny the surgeon said well I would almost take that as a sign not to have the surgery..It didn't change my mind..Any way we talked and at that point I knew that he was an awesome surgeon..good luck